Shipping your car via container? New rules as of Jan 1 2012

Iron Chef

Hi guys,

I've just got wind of this - it sounds like some bureaucrats somewhere are trying to justify their existence!

As of Jan 1, any vehicles with internal combustion engines being shipped in containers are now classified as hazardous goods. This also applies to any car on the water at that stage, so effectively, if your container hasn't already left, it will affect you.

You have two options: the first is to make the vehicle non-hazardous, which involves draining the fuel tank and disconnecting the battery (which makes it a pain for moving around). The second is to cop the extra cost of labelling the container and filling out extra forms, which looks like being an extra GBP75 with the companies I regularly use.

This only affects vehicles travelling in containers, cars being shipped on RORO aren't affected.

The 'sarcasmist' in me wonders how we manage to drive our cars around without them exploding :wink:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Getting final quotes for move, and been told it will be a £250 charge for this. I suggested draining the fuel tank and unhooking the battery, but was told this was standard procedure and would not influence the charge - ie it is still considered dangerous goods and the charge stands. Frustrating!

It is not mentioned in comparision quotes, so unsure whether an oversights, or W&C are looking to get extra on this.

If they're charging 250 quid for it, then I'd be getting a second opinion.

I've been hearing the same response from a couple of other places I normally use about draining tanks and disconnecting batteries being accepted, I suspect once the initial drama dies down, it will be ok again. Still, it's a major pain in the rectum, and another reason why it's worth sending cars separately on RORO rather than in a container.

Yep, the price has gone down again when i queried (£125). Their branch manager sent me a note on it, which i'll attach for others use.

'Further to our conversation I have made some enquiries into the Dangerous Goods Note and the charges which are levied.

The shipping lines do have an exception if the vehicle is TOTALLY drained of fuel, as a new car off the production line, and the wet cell battery isolated. This I do not believe is possible with second hand vehicles as there will always be fuel in the system and there is no other way to load the vehicle into a container unless it is driven.

The charge applied is set by the shipping line per TEU and it is the stuffers responsibility to produce the DGN as well as to produce and affix 4 DGN warning signs to the relevant container.

The charge quoted by Jason is for a 40ft container (2 x TEU's) and this should be halved as your shipment is a 20ft container.'

Hi guys,

I've just got wind of this - it sounds like some bureaucrats somewhere are trying to justify their existence!

As of Jan 1, any vehicles with internal combustion engines being shipped in containers are now classified as hazardous goods. This also applies to any car on the water at that stage, so effectively, if your container hasn't already left, it will affect you.

You have two options: the first is to make the vehicle non-hazardous, which involves draining the fuel tank and disconnecting the battery (which makes it a pain for moving around). The second is to cop the extra cost of labelling the container and filling out extra forms, which looks like being an extra GBP75 with the companies I regularly use.

This only affects vehicles travelling in containers, cars being shipped on RORO aren't affected.

The 'sarcasmist' in me wonders how we manage to drive our cars around without them exploding :wink:

Two really useful mails. Thanks a lot; it has made the decision for me; forget about taking our car.

Guest Big Steve

To be honest, it's a drop in the ocean when all other costs are added up, but it does gall to pay for yet more needless paperwork that isn't actually useful to anyone other than a revenue stream!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Doozclump
If it has already left, then you're fine.

JohnandErian, just send it on RORO or pay the extra, it's not a huge drama, just something you need to be aware of. As Steve says, it's not a big amount in the scheme of things.

Just finalising the shipping of our container which will have our FN2 type r and our RX8 and came across this thread, is the payment per car or does this cover the whole container? I will ask the our shipping company to clarify,

cheers

if it wasn't for the iron chef i would be driving a 1999 taurus when we get there

hi,we dont know what to do about or car we have a dodge nitro plate 08,do you suggest taking it with us?? do you know roughly the cost from start to finis on shipping the car,its all confusing ,we expect to go end of the year.

thanxs jackie.x

Hi guys,

Hi Iron Chef, I have been told to contact you about shipping of vehicles. This new law does it apply to diesel vehicles???

We have a Shogun & want to import it when we go. Only problem is we are hoping to get our visa's sorted by April so we can go in April but I won't have owned my Shogun for 12months till July. Is there anyway around this?????

Also the Shogun has air con is it right that we have to get the gas removed from it before we ship????

For transporting info, keep your questions in here, guys:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/transport-shipping/97053-transporting-your-car-oz-everything-you-need-know-66.html

...otherwise it gets too confusing!

Just finalising the shipping of our container which will have our FN2 type r and our RX8 and came across this thread, is the payment per car or does this cover the whole container? I will ask the our shipping company to clarify,

cheers

if it wasn't for the iron chef i would be driving a 1999 taurus when we get there

No just the one payment per container as far as I know. And no-one should have to drive a Taurus, ever.

hi,we dont know what to do about or car we have a dodge nitro plate 08,do you suggest taking it with us?? do you know roughly the cost from start to finis on shipping the car,its all confusing ,we expect to go end of the year.

thanxs jackie.x

Jackie send me an email for this one via the website in my signature below.

Hi Iron Chef, I have been told to contact you about shipping of vehicles. This new law does it apply to diesel vehicles???

We have a Shogun & want to import it when we go. Only problem is we are hoping to get our visa's sorted by April so we can go in April but I won't have owned my Shogun for 12months till July. Is there anyway around this?????

Also the Shogun has air con is it right that we have to get the gas removed from it before we ship????

Yes it applies to all vehicles with internal combustion engines. There's no way around the 12 month rule, unfortunately - they give you a leeway of a couple of weeks, but nothing beyond that.

Thanks Zara. How does it work with shipping to Oz? Is it cheaper? Is it organised through the same shipping agent as is moving out furniture? Thanks.

RORO to Australia is much cheaper than shipping a container, but getting everything into a 40ft can be cheaper than a 20ft/RORO combo. The only thing I'd say about keeping car and furniture on separate boats is that your furniture isn't stuck in a container in the UK if you have dramas getting the import approval for your car.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

We are new to this and are trying to work out our options. We are thinking of taking our van, car and furniture etc. Sorry if this has already been asked - but has anyone had any experience of buying their own container, and then the costs of shipping it through a company?

Not sure which way to go and any advice would be really helpful.

• 1 month later...

Hi I've been dealing with PSS and they say that the car has to be almost empty of fuel... just enough to drive on & off the container and has to have the battery disconnected for container travel. PSS do this when packing up at your house & there's no charge.

CJ

This is probably a question for a thread in its own right, but is it more cost effective to ship car with personal belongings?

I am getting quotes for shipping just now.

I appreciate your help previously Iron Chef, my celica could well be shipped!

Thanks,

Dave

I am also trying to find out info re shipping a car from the UK to Oz.

As our furniture will be going from Spain, I think it will be simpler to use the RORO system for a car. I have just googled and noticed that this is not available in Perth. Is this correct?

Hi can you explain what RORO is? Starting look at shipping car for car and just had quote for 40ft container for car and belongings. We are moving to Gold Coast hope fully before Christmas this year. Really want to ship car but no idea that RORO would be alternative option. Can someone explain or point me in the right direction?

Cheers

Angela

Guest mollymoo14

Hello Angela, RORO is roll on roll off, my hubby did this when working in dover docks- the vehicles drive straight on the ship then off the other side. Sorry have no idea about shipping to gold coast etc though, hubby now in felixstowe docks doing containers. Hope someone else comes along to help you further we are still at the begining of the journey.

Good luck

shelly

• 2 months later...

Hello Iron Chef

Just wondering can you answer me this question please. We are thinking of changing our family car for a Nissan Navara pick up and when our visa arrives we intend to bring it with us, do we have to own and use it for 12 months to bring it without import tax and if under 12 months what is the tax % on it. Also what sort of cost will it be to ship it to Perth and which in your opinion is the best way (we dont intend to do it ourselves so what sort of costing would be involved).

Thanks

Dave & Carmel

• 7 months later...