Question about luggage allowances

purpledonna

I've been lucky enough to have been granted a 40kg allowance from Singapore Airlines when we fly next March. My question is, am I correct in thinking that you are ALSO allowed to take a 7kg bag on board the aircraft? I've been reading and re-reading the airlines websites and it looks like I am right but I just wanted to double check.

Thanks!

You should be. The 40kg is checked baggage as I understand it.

Just make sure no one checked luggage bag exceeds 32kg. Usually a decent case or bag will hold around 20kg if packed well :)

Yep we've been told same thing as long as its no heavier than 32 kilos!! So does that mean if hubby has 1 case and its only 20 kilos can he take another case??? Anyone know as he has tools to put in!!!! Also you dont have to have it in writing do you?? Is it just a case as long as yuou have'nt validated visa before?

Yep we've been told same thing as long as its no heavier than 32 kilos!! So does that mean if hubby has 1 case and its only 20 kilos can he take another case??? Anyone know as he has tools to put in!!!! Also you dont have to have it in writing do you?? Is it just a case as long as yuou have'nt validated visa before?

Re how many cases, yeah, they'd have to be expecting 2 bags/cases. 32kg is hard work to hoink round and tbh most standard cases/bags won't take that much. Not much point offering 40kg if you only allow one bag to 32kg :cute:

And you should get it in writing to be on the safe side. Its for permanent unvalidated visas but its best to get written confirmation of your excess to wave under noses if anyone questions it at check in. I'd rather take the 10 minutes to email them well in advance than have hassle at the airport on the day.

I emailed Singapore Airlines and I've printed out their email which says I am allowed 40kg. Better to be on the safe side than get charged excess baggage.

You should be. The 40kg is checked baggage as I understand it.

Just make sure no one checked luggage bag exceeds 32kg. Usually a decent case or bag will hold around 20kg if packed well :)

We have got a 40kg allowance per person plus 12kg for carrying on plane so 52kg in total per person we intend on using it all as our Airline said you have it use it. Our cases will hold over 35kg per bag.

We have got a 40kg allowance per person plus 12kg for carrying on plane so 52kg in total per person we intend on using it all as our Airline said you have it use it. Our cases will hold over 35kg per bag.

Wow! What airline are you flying with? That's amazing! I don't travel lightly at the best of times let alone emigrating.

Wow! What airline are you flying with? That's amazing! I don't travel lightly at the best of times let alone emigrating.

We decided to go with Korean Airlines as it suited our plans and what we wanted to do always wanted to visit seoul so now we have the chance only if it is for a few hours!!

We intend on using our full cap of 40Kg in luggage 7.5 for carrier case and resdt ot get lappy over etc. no way is my little 3 yr old going to use 52kg will top up her bag with other stuff.

They put it on the details so they are aware we have the allowance. I did have to work hard to get that amount as they only wanted to give us 30kg baggage allowance. plus the 12kg.

Just check the airlines actual individual bag weight limit. Most have it 32kg as standard max for a single bag. H&S and all that as heavier is very hard to lift. As the baggage handling onto the planes and off is done by non airline staff I don't think its the airlines at actually set this limit. I've yet to fly anywhere on any airline where they had a bag limit higher than this.

Guest Aussie2B
I emailed Singapore Airlines and I've printed out their email which says I am allowed 40kg. Better to be on the safe side than get charged excess baggage.

Hi Purpledonna,

Can I ask - did you email them before or after you booked your ticket? I'm also planning on booking with Singapore Airlines, but am just wondering if I need to have their permission on luggage allowances before I actually book the ticket.. Or is it a matter of booking the ticket first and then emailing them afterwards so they can give you the permission for extra luggage?

Thanks!

Hi Purpledonna,

Can I ask - did you email them before or after you booked your ticket? I'm also planning on booking with Singapore Airlines, but am just wondering if I need to have their permission on luggage allowances before I actually book the ticket.. Or is it a matter of booking the ticket first and then emailing them afterwards so they can give you the permission for extra luggage?

Thanks!

I booked our tickets first and then emailed them afterwards. Took a slight risk I guess but from everything I'd read on this forum I was 99% confident that I qualified for the 40kg allowance. They replied to my email within about ten minutes of me sending it too which was good of them.

Good luck!

Hi Purpledonna,

Thanks!

We just called them and they said that the larger luggage allowance was for everyone who had an un-validated perm. visa, they would just do it automatically at check-in and therefore I didn't need anything in writing etc, as they were well used to doing it. IE it wouldn't matter if you contacted them either before or after booking, as its just standard practise apparently for them, but if you do it after booking you will have your booking reference on the email as well.

(Just to point out, I'm not advising not getting it in writing, I'm just saying they told me it was standard, and I think everyone on here that has asked them for it that has an un-validated PR visa has received it, so don't stress about it not being honoured after booking as it were.)

Although your cases can hold over 35kg, international baggage handling laws mean that you are not allowed more than 32kg per bag.

Hi get it in writing- we were quizzed at check in. You only need a grumpy check in girl and/or her manager even with Singapore.

Also the ground staff at the hand luggage screening can be very unhappy if you use your whole entitlement ie 7 kg plus laptops, outer coats, handbags (business class) etc as we found when we got there. We had to haul Singapore staff down there as well. Methinks they were all jealous!!!!! All safely through with gritted teeth however. Its probably a good thing that we can't afford to ever fly business class again!!!

Hi get it in writing- we were quizzed at check in. You only need a grumpy check in girl and/or her manager even with Singapore.

Also the ground staff at the hand luggage screening can be very unhappy if you use your whole entitlement ie 7 kg plus laptops, outer coats, handbags (business class) etc as we found when we got there. We had to haul Singapore staff down there as well. Methinks they were all jealous!!!!! All safely through with gritted teeth however. Its probably a good thing that we can't afford to ever fly business class again!!!

On the information that comes with your ticket it says you can have all those extra pieces, including a handbag in economy - as long as it is a normal handbag that a lady would usually use and is not being used to carry extra luggage. :-)

Oh good couldn't remember but definitely remember the reactions including the lady in charge of the screening area who rudely told my daughter to move out of the way even though she was just standing where we were told to wait for Singapore. Just a bad day at Manchester I guess!!

I can imagine! It is written very small, at the end of about three pages of other information! I will probably chance taking everything I can, but will probably be scared - might highlight the information and take it with me - hehe! :-)