Drummoyne/Rozelle - what's it like to live

nicolaj

Hi

We have been in Sydney for two weeks and have started the long haul of looking for a place to live.

We began to look at Turrmaura and Warree etc but OH's work colleague suggested Drummoyne or Rozelle. We don't have kids so aren't worried about good schools, but do want a house with a yard, easy commute on public transport to CBD as that is where OH works.

We have had a look round Drummoyne today and have found some possible houses on Domain which hopefully will be open for viewing next weekend as OH is in Melbourne for most of this week.

Any experiences/views would be appreciated.

My SIL lived in the back of Balmain and MIL in Rozelle.

Close to the city with some nice restaurants and local pubs. Certainly more going on than in Warrawee/Turramurra where we live. Houses are maybe a little smaller with smaller yards but the chance of harbour views.

Thanks for that Fleabo, been and had a look round Drummoyne and couple of times now and it still seems okay.

I think we both felt that Warrawee/Turramurra/Wharonga, although nice areas might be a little out of the way for us.

Go some house viewings Thursday morning so see how we get on.

Well we are seeing two houses Thursday morning and have spotted another two on Domain, but the rental person was off yesterday, so I am not sure if they are under application of not. If not, I'll try and get to see them on Friday morning. Problem is, as hubby is new over here working, they all want to meet him so loads of meetings scheduled! A bit of a ball ache as we really need to to get a home sorted out, with grumpy cats in quarantine as well!!

Hi

We have been in Sydney for two weeks and have started the long haul of looking for a place to live.

We began to look at Turrmaura and Warree etc but OH's work colleague suggested Drummoyne or Rozelle. We don't have kids so aren't worried about good schools, but do want a house with a yard, easy commute on public transport to CBD as that is where OH works.

We have had a look round Drummoyne today and have found some possible houses on Domain which hopefully will be open for viewing next weekend as OH is in Melbourne for most of this week.

Any experiences/views would be appreciated.

Both areas are nice, have you tried Balmain or Abbotsford? Balmain is a great place for 2 adults with no kids, lots of places to eat and drink and nice places to live. You get a little more for your money (not a lot) in Abbotsford as less things to do but it is a ferry ride to city or a bus (no train line). for your budget you should find some nice places around the Inner West

Viewed a nice house in Drummoyne today, but the big thing that ruined it, not the interior, which for a change was clean, had been repainted with a reasonable bathroom and new kitchen. But the planes thundering overhead!!! It was about two every 10 mins or so! I asked the agent about it and he said, that they weren't there on Monday!!! I don't think the airport change the routes on a daily basis!

Saw another in Russell Lea about 5 mins drive away, which was very nice but over our budget at £890, but had been totally refurbed inside, with brand new bathrooms and kitchen. But the living room was a little small. It would be really pushing the boat out on that one. There were a couple of planes but nowhere near as bad as the previous house!

Off to see one in Warreemba tomorrow and another in Russell Lea on Saturday.

Viewed a nice house in Drummoyne today, but the big thing that ruined it, not the interior, which for a change was clean, had been repainted with a reasonable bathroom and new kitchen. But the planes thundering overhead!!! It was about two every 10 mins or so! I asked the agent about it and he said, that they weren't there on Monday!!! I don't think the airport change the routes on a daily basis!

Actually they do, the routes will vary depending on the wind direction, but they only have a small number of route patterns, so the planes would be coming over at least some of the time.

Actually they do, the routes will vary depending on the wind direction, but they only have a small number of route patterns, so the planes would be coming over at least some of the time.

At Sydney, it is rare for them to use the East-West runway as it means movements on only one runway as opposed to two runways for North-South movements.

Hence, in Leichhardt/Drummoyne area you are generally faced with either take-offs (noisier) or landings (closer), 6am - 11pm.

Funnily enough, out here in the sticks we get woken maybe 1 out of 3 mornings at curfew break (6am) by the overnight SE Asian flights. Personally, I like it, being a trench-coat wearing plane spotter...:wubclub:

Oh well, we have had an application accepted for a place in Balmain today, just paid the holding deposit!

All a bit grown up, and having to be responsible and make sure I pay my rent on time! LOL!!!

Seriously, it was interesting as the agent called me to clarify a couple of points regarding our cats and said another applicant had put in an offer of an extra $30 per week for the rent, she asked if I wanted to match it, I said no. Yet our application was still accepted.

So I suppose it just goes to show that if you feel it's right to stand by your guns and hopefully it'll work out. It maybe that the person who offered more may not have had as strong an application so did it to cover that, or just thought it would work? Who knows.

what's Canada Bay/Concord like, I've seen many 2beds for like $400-500 pw..are they dumps or is that the price for the area? pics look nice..

can I ask the stupid question if there are many canadians living there..nah, maybe not

Sidney87, I would say go and have a look at some on the open viewings, to be honest we found that the property we viewed on the Inner West was better than that on the North Shores/Beaches. Maybe because more people want to be up on the North shores the owners don't think they need to try as hard? Could be wrong and just saw a few bad ones!

Generally you will also find if they are owner occupied, they are more likely to be cleaner and in a better state decoration wise.

As I always say, the camera never lies, but photoshop does!!!! LOL!!:wink:

Good luck with your search!

Good for you!:wubclub:

Oh well, we have had an application accepted for a place in Balmain today, just paid the holding deposit!

All a bit grown up, and having to be responsible and make sure I pay my rent on time! LOL!!!

Seriously, it was interesting as the agent called me to clarify a couple of points regarding our cats and said another applicant had put in an offer of an extra $30 per week for the rent, she asked if I wanted to match it, I said no. Yet our application was still accepted.

So I suppose it just goes to show that if you feel it's right to stand by your guns and hopefully it'll work out. It maybe that the person who offered more may not have had as strong an application so did it to cover that, or just thought it would work? Who knows.

what's Canada Bay/Concord like, I've seen many 2beds for like $400-500 pw..are they dumps or is that the price for the area? pics look nice..

can I ask the stupid question if there are many canadians living there..nah, maybe not

Concord is nice - Majors Bay Road is quite lively (well, as lively as you'll find in this area!) and properties are quite sought after. However, if you're talking houses, $500 won't get you anything that you'd want to live in.

Not sure about Canada Bay - doesn't seem to be anything there in the way of restaurants or bars. You'll possibly get a bit more for your money there though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I don't think the airport change the routes on a daily basis!

They do.... the directions the planes use are different depending on the wind direction, so if the guy had only been there on Monday and Thursday, he may well not have seen any. Time of day makes a difference as well. Google "Sydney airport flight paths", and you'll get a link to a noise map of the different flight paths over the city - they won't all get used all the time, but if you're not keen on jet noise, it'll show you where to avoid....

ETA: Didn't see the 2nd page before I replied! :)

Cheers

Vince

• 1 month later...

I would go for rozelle easy for buses to the city, loads of cages and places to eat plus you carry on walking and your into Balmain. Plus on the right side of rozelle you have the bay run/ walk 7 km a must if you live around there plus there is water annd rowing clubs and it's just a really buzzy place to live. Been living in rozelle for 6 mths and no chance of us moving anywhere else for now