Cost of living!!

Guest Brian Boru

Guest Brian Boru

Hi guys,

My wife and I were thinking of moving to Oz in the next few months. My wife has been offered a job for $78,000 in Perth. We have three young children aged 3, 5, and 9.

Friends that have recently returned from Perth have said the cost of living is increasing.

I would initially stay at home to mind the kids but I'm really worried that we will struggle to live in a decent area with good schools and cover all our bills. What would our take home pay be on that income?

Also what age do children start primary school in WA? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Brian

Guest Brian Boru

Thanks for that... but I'm still not sure what our take home pay will be because I'm not up on what tax ect we are likely to pay so it is a bit difficult to work out the monthly budget.

I suspect our rent limit might be around the $400 a week mark. Does anyone know what are the best areas in Perth that you are likely to be able to get a three bedroom for this sort of money?

Still a bit mystified!!!

I'd say it would be tough on a single income of $78K a year. Especially if you are going on a 457. We are paying $4500 a year EACH for two kids schooling alone on a 457....plus daycare for our youngest is $100 a day. If you are going on PR it would be much easier financially.

Guest Brian Boru

Hi guys,

We have permanent residence visas ... but it runs out in May which is why returning has become a bit now or never. I have looked at the websites but because I don't know Perth I'm not sure which are the best areas.

There is a possibility we could take a job in Mandurah but we were worried it might be a bit remote. Any thoughts?

Guest Brian Boru

Hi,

As far as I can tell that is a base salary ...it is working for the WA Gov but I don't have too many details because we haven't responded as yet...still working out what we want to do?

Forgive my total ignorance but how does super work?

Thanks again

Guest Brian Boru

No you need to spend two years out of five to validate your visa .. so a quick visit wouldn't do it. If we came we would stay and try and get citizenship which you can only apply for after four years. Is that right?

No you need to spend two years out of five to validate your visa .. so a quick visit wouldn't do it. If we came we would stay and try and get citizenship which you can only apply for after four years. Is that right?

Not quite right.

when your visa is first granted, you have about a year to enter australia and "validate" the visa. A validated PR visa gives you the right to live permanently in Australia, and five years of multiple entry into the country.

So you could validate, the return to the UK, come back into Australia any time before the 5yrs is up and live the rest of your life in Australia, no problem.

The catch is that after the five years are up, if you leave Australia, you won't be able to get back into the country. This is where the Residents return visa comes in. If you can prove substantial ties to Australia (having lived there for two out of the previous five years is ONE way to prove such ties), then you get an RRV, which gives you another 5yrs of multiple entry.

For citizenship, you have to have lived in Australia for four years, of which at least one year has to be on a PR visa. (You are allowed an average of three months out of the country per year, with no more than three months in the last year)

As a PR with that income and 3 kids you should recieve help with rent assistance and family tax benefit. I can't quote exact figures but a recently arrived PIO member I know, with only two children, pulls about another $300 (I actually think it's more but without wading through centrelink I have to take a flying guess) fortnightly on a similar income.

Look here: http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/payments/ftb_a_iat.htm

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/payments/ftb_a_iat.htm

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/payments/ftb_b_rates.htm

I can never understand those eligible for 175 or 176 with good employment prospects, taking the 457 route that deprives them of these benefits