POM in Melbourne

Guest janer

Hi Guys

I have been living in Melbourne for the last 7 years and loving every minute of it.

Thought I would join to see if I can offer advise to people moving over here as I know it is a daunting thing to do.

Its also a great adventure so enjoy!

Hi,

Welcome to PIO. I am sure any help you offer other members will be gratefully received.

You may be interested to know we have a sister site for Victoria and Melbourne Areas. You may find that interesting.

http://www.lifeinvictoria.com/

:biggrin:

Cool I will check that one out too. Thanks!

Guest Rayburn3

Hi, mad to move to Victoria. I have a gran aunt over there. Problem is I'm a plumber. Licensed trade n all that. I have never seen anything more difficult in immigrating. Vetassess Ielts. Bit of an insult to be honest, to sit an english exam from an english speaking country. As for vetasses, £1500 to sit an exam that dosen't even give u a license. Bit of a money racket if u ask me. If they keep saying that how badly they are stuck for trades and still make it sooo difficult i'll explode.

Guest moldec1999

Hi Janer! We're hoping to move over inFeb if the Australian nursing board hurry up and sort my registration!!! You don't happen to work there ;)) ? Hoping to move to mornington as have been offered job there . Will be posting questions along the way ... Will be grateful of any advice you can offer :biggrin:

Hi, mad to move to Victoria. I have a gran aunt over there. Problem is I'm a plumber. Licensed trade n all that. I have never seen anything more difficult in immigrating. Vetassess Ielts. Bit of an insult to be honest, to sit an english exam from an english speaking country. As for vetasses, £1500 to sit an exam that dosen't even give u a license. Bit of a money racket if u ask me. If they keep saying that how badly they are stuck for trades and still make it sooo difficult i'll explode.

I am afraid they do muck you about when assessing your skills and it does feel a bit insulting in some ways and it is a money racket for sure but its unavoidable. You have to just persevere and once you get here you will know it was all worth while. Just be careful that the skills list changes quite a lot and what is on there one month may not be so in favour the next. So push through as quick as you can.

Good luck!

Hi Janer! We're hoping to move over inFeb if the Australian nursing board hurry up and sort my registration!!! You don't happen to work there ;)) ? Hoping to move to mornington as have been offered job there . Will be posting questions along the way ... Will be grateful of any advice you can offer :biggrin:

Mornington will be a nice area to be so I hope you get the job there. If I can help with any of your posts over the next few months I will. Good luck!

• 1 year later...
Hi Guys

I have been living in Melbourne for the last 7 years and loving every minute of it.

Thought I would join to see if I can offer advise to people moving over here as I know it is a daunting thing to do.

Its also a great adventure so enjoy!

Hi,

I have just logged onto the site to seek some advice and came across your posting. My husband and I have just spent 8 nights in Adelaide on a recci because he has been accepted to be sponsored by SA on a skills Visa with the hope of coming away and knowing whether we definitely want to move or not.

We absolutely loved Adelaide however we came away thinking that it may not offer enough for the children once they become a bit older because it is so quiet. What we have been thinking is whether we fulfil the 2 years in Adelaide with a view to moving to Melbourne before the kids start High School.

We haven't ever been to Melbourne before and can't afford to do yet another Recci so are trying to gather as much information as possible.

My husband is concerned about the weather and needs to know whether it is as unpredictable as people say it is. One of the main reasons for us making this move is having the weather to enable us to do more outdoor activities with the kids as we are fed up of never being able to plan anything due to the bad weather in England.

One of the other concerns is the cost of living and whether the salaries increase proportionately with the increase in housing etc.

We wondered also what the education is like in Melbourne as it seemed that the standard in Adelaide wasn't as good as the UK. We visited four schools and there was only one which I left feeling impressed with.

We have to press send on our final part of the Visa application and part with £4.5k so need to know a bit more. If we were to move just to Adelaide then I think we would perhaps stay in the UK but if Melbourne is as nice as Adelaide with a bit more to offer, then we will do it.

Please help as we are very confused at the moment.

Thanks

• 1 year later...
First of all I would like to say thanks to God to come on this forum and admin to join me to this and I am very glad to be a part of it.

Because its very simple , easy to navigate and very informative posts from other members.

Thank you for all

What's god got to do with it?

• 3 months later...
Guest Global

Hi,

I am in the final stages of a job application an if successful this would mean me moving out to Melbourne from England in at the beginning of September.

I company are based in Truganuna so would like to hear from anyone who know that area of what would be ideal places to live.

I have had the following areas recommended and wonder if anyone has any experience of these, Altona, Point Cook, Newport and Werribee my plan would be to move to Australia and my wife and children follow around Christmas Time.

Also I would love to hear what process people have gone through identifying good schools, I have two children one 12 then other 8 are there also how easy is it to get into local football teams, my eldest son loves his football and play at a really good standard in England for the Kent District team.

Thank in advance for any help and advice.

Hi Jane,

I am moving to Melbourne this August and getting incredibly excited! I have a job in Box Hill hospital but am thinking of looking for a place near the CBD but within commuting distance. Richmond seems to fit the bill so I have booked a place on airbnb for a month and then ill look for something longer term. I know it is a cliche question but is it reasonably straight forward to get a rental in Melbourne at the moment?