importing a car (or two)

Guest Dumsy

Ok, After almost having our cars on the road... here is an update for all of you's who are thinking of bringing the car over

We shipped to Melbourne Victoria (I am saying this as prices and procedures may vary for each state)

we shipped 2 cars and household belongings into a 40foot container (high cube)

Paid £6900 with John Mason

Other charges on this end for the cars:

we paid for the cars to get valued here, as customs will take the value you paid for when you bought the car in UK. We bought new and only had the 1 invoice, so you can expect the tax you pay on that.

Application form to import the vehicle to Oz: $50 per car

Valuation: $220 per car (Lancer valued at $10500 and L200 at $12000)

Quarantine Inspection Fee: $760 (for the entire container)

Import Duty: $1038 (for both cars)

GST: $2353 (for both cars)

Cleaning Costs: $1020 (for both cars, incl also towing car to cleaning site)

Unregistered Vehicle Permit for 21 days: $62.60 per car (for Victoria)

VASS Engineer to get import Sticker: $750 (for both cars)

Roadworthy Certificate: $100 each car

Appointment Fee: $15.60

Inspection by VIC roads: $24.90

Registration by VIC Roads: $191.60

Transport Accident charge: $366

Insurance Duty: $36.60

Number Plates: $31.20

Motor Vehicle Duty: $424

http://webapps.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrne/VRCALC.NSF/fee?OpenForm&V=3030&V1=N&V1A=N&R1=$366.00&R3=$36.60&

Since July this year they have gone very stricked on the RWC (MOT equivilent) we have to change our windscreens as the L200 only lets 68% of daylight through and it should be 70. My Lancer had a repaired chip - was ok to get MOT in UK but here the windscreen needs replacing. The L200 has shown rust under the car from the Salt we get during Winter. This needs to be attended - we still waiting for RWC for L200. My Lancer has tinted windows which is standard from Mitsubishi as we bought it - it is to dark here, however we managed to get the Certificate without chaning anything. Our cars both had Child restraints adaptors so we did not need to get them. They are very very harsh here for Roadworthyness and you need to consider paying up before you get it on the Road here.

Phone around as not all garages to RWC for imports

a list of the VASS engineers can be found here (for VIC only)

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/53CADBC4-D8FF-41DA-8EE6-BE54CDCC84FC/0/VICROADS_n1013642_v1_VASS_List_for_Publication_3_Oct_2011.pdf

But don't be fooled, second hand cars are fairly expensive here. My partners car same age, mileage etc would go between $30.000 - £35.000 and my lancer around $22.000 - 25.000. So think twice if it is all really worth it. We love our cars and they have all the gadgets, full leather, low mileage etc, so for us was the only option. Just as a reminder, If we would have sold in UK we would maybe get £8000 for the Lancer and $6500 for the L200.

So now we broke but happy (almost once we get the L200 on the road):goofy:

Guest wiltonson

Hi Dumsy, thanks for your post as it will certainly help me and my wife in deciding if we should ship our Jan 2007 Prius over to Melbourne. (Paid £9000 second hand in Jan 2010, top of the range with leather seats upgrade, professionally installed DVD player + digital TV).

I actually have the following questions and wonder if you can help clarify.

1. Quarantine Inspection Fee: $760 - Will this fee be halved if you have a 20 foot container? I presumed this inspection fee will be chargeable for anything inside the container.

2. GST: $2353 (for both cars) - Will you still need to pay this if you buy similiar priced cars in Melbourne (dealer or privately)?

3. Roadworthy Certificate: $100 each car - Same as above, do you still need to pay this fee if you buy a used car in Melbourne?

4. Registration by VIC Roads: $191.60 - Again same as above question, I'm just trying to figure out if I still need to pay it if I buy a used car in Melbourne.

Thanks

hi wiltonson,

ok will try and answer all questions to the best of my knowledge

1. - correct quarantine inspection fee various for how much you have in the container or how big the container is.

2. that gst was payable only on the imports. i am not sure how it works with second hand cars bought over here. maybe ask the question in the forum

3. if you buy a second hand car which needs roadworthy so that it can be registered in your name then you also pay the $100.00 but if it comes with the roadworthy then of course you do not need it.

4. i am sure you pay some reg fee if you transfer over in your name. not sure if it is the same amount tho.

have a look at the vicroads website. alot is explained in there.

hope this helps.

Hi,

I've just picked up my car (thankfully intact and undamaged). Now going through the registration/compliance process.

One thing that I'm not sure about is the order that you get things done.

Do you get the VASS compliance work done first or the Roadworthy? I've booked my car in for the VASS work as I have assumed that it won't get a roadworthy if its not compliant. I presume once it passes VASS then I get the roadworthy sorted and then arrange the vic roads inspection.

Ta

Joker

• 2 weeks later...