Anyone live near Herston/Windsor/Spring Hill in Qld

Blackcab

Hi................ We are looking at these areas, basically because i would like to be near a big hospital as i am a nurse, i would like to be close to the night life in CBD, and CBD as my partner will be driving a cab for Black & White Cabs, and we can always hop on a train to the Gold Coast when we wish, being close to Roma Street Station... We are coming over for a year, maybe longer, but we will need a fully furnished two bedroom air conditioned house for twelve months, any thoughts and opinions most welcome. Look forward to meeting any expats when we arrive......... Any thoughts on this property? http://www.rs.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-qld-spring+hill-404812940 Thanks

Hi................ We are looking at these areas, basically because i would like to be near a big hospital as i am a nurse, i would like to be close to the night life in CBD, and CBD as my partner will be driving a cab for Black & White Cabs, and we can always hop on a train to the Gold Coast when we wish, being close to Roma Street Station... We are coming over for a year, maybe longer, but we will need a fully furnished two bedroom air conditioned house for twelve months, any thoughts and opinions most welcome. Look forward to meeting any expats when we arrive......... Any thoughts on this property? http://www.rs.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-qld-spring+hill-404812940 Thanks

The property seems to have been deleted from http://www.realestate.com so here it is on another site: http://www.homehound.com.au/47b+gloucester+st+spring+hill+qld+4000/

When I talked to agents about buying down this end of spring hill there was some mention of dodgy characters walking through these streets occasionally but probably only minor depending on what you are used to. I would also try to get a larger deck for outdoor living. Renting fully furnished is the exception rather than the norm so you will pay a premium.

Most of the large hospitals in the inner city of Brisbane, the Royal Brisbane, Royal Childrens, Mater Public, Mater Childrens, Mater Private, Mater Mothers etc are on the busway system with major busway stops right at the hospitals so you might be best to live on the busway.

If you also want access to nighlife living on the northside of Brisbane would be easier as this puts you closer to Fortitude Valley where many of the clubs are.

Somewhere in Kelvin Grove Urban Village may suit. Within walking distance of the busway and Royal Brisbane: http://www.kgurbanvillage.com.au/

The property seems to have been deleted from www.realestate.com so here it is on another site: http://www.homehound.com.au/47b+gloucester+st+spring+hill+qld+4000/

When I talked to agents about buying down this end of spring hill there was some mention of dodgy characters walking through these streets occasionally but probably only minor depending on what you are used to. I would also try to get a larger deck for outdoor living. Renting fully furnished is the exception rather than the norm so you will pay a premium.

Most of the large hospitals in the inner city of Brisbane, the Royal Brisbane, Royal Childrens, Mater Public, Mater Childrens, Mater Private, Mater Mothers etc are on the busway system with major busway stops right at the hospitals so you might be best to live on the busway.

If you also want access to nighlife living on the northside of Brisbane would be easier as this puts you closer to Fortitude Valley where many of the clubs are.

Somewhere in Kelvin Grove Urban Village may suit. Within walking distance of the busway and Royal Brisbane: http://www.kgurbanvillage.com.au/

Thanks very much, i think the link is still live, but it does not like to be linked on here i guess? Did the search on realestate.com, still live................ Yep that is the other thing, both of us are in our early forties, so we are looking at an area which is relatively safe. We have lived in Qld before, (Bayside), but want to be closer to CBD, with easier access to the Gold Coast via train. Also my partner will want to be able to access CBD by either walking up to one hour walk to say the Pig & Whistle or a very short bus ride.........hates travelling to work when he has to travel while working....

So are these criteria correct?

- Near any big hospital

- Close to night life/restaurants/cafes

- Within short bus ride or one hour walk of Pig & Whistle (or was that just an example?)

- Near train station for Gold Coast train

- Walk to CBD or short bus ride for hubby

- Early forties, want safe area

- 2 bed a/c fully furnished apt

Thinking about this I reckon South Brisbane (in or next to Southbank - along grey st?) is worth considering.

- Near any big hospital

Walk, or 1 bus stop, to all the Mater public and private hospitals.

Little further to Princess Alexandra.

Yes. Plenty of pubs in southbank, south brisbane and west end plus lots of cafes, restaurants etc. More all ages friendly then the valley.

Also next to the cultural district with opera, theatre, gallery of modern art, muesums, queensland art gallery, qpac, convention centre, state library, conservatorium of music, man made beach, events and attractions all on your door step.

Additionally close to the great west end markets.

- Within short bus ride or one hour walk of Pig & Whistle (or was that just an example?)

No problem. Quick walk to CBD and P&W.

South Brisbane and Southbank train stations.

Easy walk. Also has continuous city glider service. Also on busway.

Yes.

Plenty 2 bed a/c apts - some furnished.

So are these criteria correct?

- Near any big hospital

Thinking about this I reckon South Brisbane (in or next to Southbank - along grey st?) is worth considering.

- Near any big hospital

Walk, or 1 bus stop, to all the Mater public and private hospitals.

Little further to Princess Alexandra.

Yes. Plenty of pubs in southbank, south brisbane and west end plus lots of cafes, restaurants etc. More all ages friendly then the valley.

Also next to the cultural district with opera, theatre, gallery of modern art, muesums, queensland art gallery, qpac, convention centre, state library, conservatorium of music, man made beach, events and attractions all on your door step.

Additionally close to the great west end markets.

No problem. Quick walk to CBD and P&W.

South Brisbane and Southbank train stations.

Easy walk. Also has continuous city glider service. Also on busway.

Yes.

Plenty 2 bed a/c apts - some furnished.

Brillian post...great reply....many thanks..........

Yep, i considered Southbank, one thing which really worries me about Oz is noise from barking dogs, and neigbours load music. Apartments great, no noisy dogs, but neigbours above and below. It's really why a town house would be good, but maybe a purpose built block, with concrete between floors rather than a conversion with wooden floors, this may help with dealing with shared living noise.......

Another thing, i do not really want to pay more than $500 bucks a week for a two bedroom fully furnished on a one year tenancy............ Southbank can be pricey....

Here's an unfurnished art deco apt across the road from the hospital and next to southbank for $480 just in case you're interested: http://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-qld-south+brisbane-405691546

I guess you could live in paddington, red hill, herston, windsor, wilston, new farm, teneriffe, spring hill, bowen hills, kelvin grove.

I live close by so any specific questions you have about them let me know. It really comes down to what your specific criteria is as you could find a 2br furnished townhouse in any them given that it is a limited category as not that many furnished apts/townhouses.

Personally I would park myself next to a nice park, coffee shops etc and good public transport in a green area with mature gardens and homes.

You might want to consider living on the city glider route or on the city cat as it will make it very easy to get around in your down time to all the best spots.

Guest guest61059

Great choice of location given all the points you raised. Having said that though have you considered the Gold Coast? A wonderful new hospital is being built and taxi drivers are always in demand.

Finding a place to live shouldn't be a problem in either location.

I rent on the Gold Coast, living in a two bedroom unit with two bathrooms, a pool, gym and all the facilities paying $450 per week.

Here's an unfurnished art deco apt across the road from the hospital and next to southbank for $480 just in case you're interested: http://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-qld-south+brisbane-405691546

I guess you could live in paddington, red hill, herston, windsor, wilston, new farm, teneriffe, spring hill, bowen hills, kelvin grove.

I live close by so any specific questions you have about them let me know. It really comes down to what your specific criteria is as you could find a 2br furnished townhouse in any them given that it is a limited category as not that many furnished apts/townhouses.

Personally I would park myself next to a nice park, coffee shops etc and good public transport in a green area with mature gardens and homes.

You might want to consider living on the city glider route or on the city cat as it will make it very easy to get around in your down time to all the best spots.

Fish, brilliant, your info is first class, thanks very much, if we settle in the CBD area i will have to share a beer with you in Union Jacks or the Pig & Whistle?

Me, i love and would like CBD, loads of nursing work, i have a very sick relative, so i could join the bank first, just in case i need to return back to the UK, for a month, should he die. A permy job may not give me this luxury?

A big problem is furniture, we have none here in the UK, rent full furnished, we may only stay a year, so do not want the hassle of buying and getting rid of furniture. Furnished is so much easier, especially as we are middle aged, so look after the place.

Rents in CBD are not as cheap as the Gold Coast, also my partner loves the Gold Coast, but is worried about work as the tourist industry must be taking a hit, so taxi drivers will suffer.....

Great choice of location given all the points you raised. Having said that though have you considered the Gold Coast? A wonderful new hospital is being built and taxi drivers are always in demand.

Finding a place to live shouldn't be a problem in either location.

I rent on the Gold Coast, living in a two bedroom unit with two bathrooms, a pool, gym and all the facilities paying $450 per week.

Yep, i have another thread, just below asking the same question about Broadbeach, Benowa, Main Beach. I walked all over Benowa, Broadbeach, Surfers, last time i was there. I did like Benowa, near Southport the taxi office, near the hospital. But what worries me is work for taxi drivers, the tourist industy is not too great at the moment, due to the strong $, so his work will suffer, even though the rent will be $100 aweek less, he will earn $100 more in CBD. Its a tough one really......Any chance of pm'ing me a link to your complex, i have not found many in and around the Gold Coast, they are not well advertised on realestate.com.au...