Buying a car in Oz (NSW), rego and slips and all that's required

Guest katedave7

Guest katedave7

Hello, my partner and I have been living in Sydney for a year now. We're looking at buying a car very soon and wondered if anyone can spell out for us what you need to do in terms of rego, insurance, pink slips, green slips etc.

We've done a lot of research so far, so have some understanding of the basics, but it seems to be very complex compared to the UK.

Is rego like the UK's MOT, or is this simply a registration of the car in your name - and is this the pink slip?

Green slip I understand to be a basic third party type of insurance, that covers you for injury and/or damage caused to the other vehicle. Then you also need to get further, more comprehensive insurance, is this correct?

Also, do we need to have our licences converted to Australian licences?

Hope someone can help us navigate the motoring minefield.

Thanks in advance.

Kate and David

The balance of the rego is usually transferred at purchase time along with the CTP.

You have to organise any additional insurance (recommended).

When the rego in up for renewal you have to buy CTP before you can re-register. If the car is old enough you need to get a safety check performed too before you can re-rego the car.

If you are PR I think you should have had your licences transferred to NSW ones already. If not PR, I don't know, you may be able to continue to drive on the UK licence.

The RTA website is a good source of info on this matter and has help pages to tell you what to do when buying a car.

There are also checks you can have done on a car that you are interested in - ex-wrtie-off, finance etc.