State Sponsorship - Occupation Availability

Guest Kalinka

Guest Kalinka

If anybody is interested, I phoned SA general migration today and was told that availability of occupations on their SMP is defined as follows:

high availability - occupation is less than 70% filled

medium availability - 40%-70% filled

low availability - less than 40% places remaining

Hope this might help somebody to worry less, if that is at all possible!

Guest Kalinka
The low availability of Systems Administrator last only for 3 days, then it closed. Very lucky to have an approved SS before it closed.

I guess it depends on the number of initial places available and the popularity of the occupation. Hope that mine is not too popular but then again, it means that they would not offer many places to be sponsored in this occupation, so I am keeping everything crossed! :)

I guess it depends on the number of initial places available and the popularity of the occupation. Hope that mine is not too popular but then again, it means that they would not offer many places to be sponsored in this occupation, so I am keeping everything crossed! :)

Thank you Kalinka very much, I have other questions for anybody might know and can answer:

- is there a way to know if they consider the places for a given occupation based on the number of people (dependants included) that are about to get the visa? or if they just say: for this occupation we will give 20 sponsorships and that's all?

Another question would be:

- if they have the more or less 4500 places allocated for State Sponsorship and this amount refers to how many people will get the visa, INCLUDING dependants, how do they assess the number of possible sponsorships to be handed out?

Is it the case they will consider 4500 places/ let's say 2.5 family members on a visa and will issue a total of 1800 sponsorships?

Guest Kalinka
Thank you Kalinka very much, I have other questions for anybody might know and can answer:

- is there a way to know if they consider the places for a given occupation based on the number of people (dependants included) that are about to get the visa? or if they just say: for this occupation we will give 20 sponsorships and that's all?

Another question would be:

- if they have the more or less 4500 places allocated for State Sponsorship and this amount refers to how many people will get the visa, INCLUDING dependants, how do they assess the number of possible sponsorships to be handed out?

Is it the case they will consider 4500 places/ let's say 2.5 family members on a visa and will issue a total of 1800 sponsorships?

That's an interesting question that never occurred to me before. I always assumed that if, for example, they offered 50 places for say GPs then it would be 50 doctors who could get sponsored, their families did not count in the sponsorship process numbers. Does anybody know if this is the case?

• 2 weeks later...
That's an interesting question that never occurred to me before. I always assumed that if, for example, they offered 50 places for say GPs then it would be 50 doctors who could get sponsored, their families did not count in the sponsorship process numbers. Does anybody know if this is the case?

Hi Kalinka, have you heard back for your sponsorship, I see you are a 511112? :cute:

Guest Kalinka
Hi Kalinka, have you heard back for your sponsorship, I see you are a 511112? :cute:

Alas, not yet. But then again, I am only 2.5 weeks into the quoted time of 8 weeks required for them to assess my application, so still waiting...

I have a question about this same topic - what is it exactly that they look for (besides meeting all the qualifications?) In other words, how do they analyse your application in a way that they'll give you the "okay" for sponsorship? For example, I know that with Victoria, there's a whole industry panel who actually sits down and reviews your application... so I'm just wondering..