Bushfire Ready

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

We already have the bushfires in Queensland and it won't be long before Victoria is back at risk again. I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread about being bushfire ready, a lot of us are complacent and think it wouldn't happen to us, after Black Saturday I think a lot of Victorians realised how the danger can affect all of us.

I have attached a Bushfire Ready booklet done by Victoria CFA (you have to be logged on to PIO to view the attachment) I think it's an excellent booklet. Hopefully you will never need to use your Bushfire Plan but please be safe and make one just in case.

• 2 years later...
Guest The Pom Queen

I know this is an old thread but unfortunately we have reached this time of year again. Currently we have a number of fires burning across NSW and Queensland. Please stay safe and remember to get out. After seeing people staying to defend their properties in the Vic fires and being burnt alive your home is not worth it, you are whats important.

• 3 weeks later...

Great thread ! People sit up and take notice ! We Thank God for keeping us safe on Black Saterday. We had the big fire heading our way and the Daylesford fire coming from the other direction it was only a wind change that saved us. We now take bush fires very seriously ! Little things make a difference. Keep the dog lead near the front door, have a "fire" box that has important papers, copies of perscriptions, passports, and birth certificates. Put photos on a CD ready to throw in the car. Buy a cat cage or a dog folding kennel have them sitting ready to go in the garage.

If you are new to Aus you need to understand that our "bush" is very different to the woodlands of the UK. Living in the bush in Aus is wonderful but it has "risks" We lived on 4 acres near Daylesford in Vic and "always" carried large wire cutters in the car, just in case you got caught with a blocked road so we could cut through fences. Sounds drastic but it is totally accepted during bad bush fires. Dont think if you are in the suburbs you are safe, we are building much closer to the bush now so sadly even residential suburbs are getting caught up in bush fires. You can down load an ap called "fires near me" and FB has pages like the "NSW Rural Fire Service which gives great updates during bush fires. Preperation is better than devistation.

I was in Brisbane when Queensland flood happened. I was never in a disaster zone before, so it was quite scary. Now even I live in Sydney, I bought an emergency radio, have got candles, etc. But it is so easy to be complacent again.

If you live close to the bush or go to the bush often, better pay attention to the weather forecast. The Bushfire season is still to come.

I was in Brisbane when Queensland flood happened. I was never in a disaster zone before, so it was quite scary. Now even I live in Sydney, I bought an emergency radio, have got candles, etc. But it is so easy to be complacent again.

If you live close to the bush or go to the bush often, better pay attention to the weather forecast. The Bushfire season is still to come.

Very true calola, it is also really important to check the bush fire risk level on your states bush fire site and learn what each level means. If it reaches Catastrophic my advise is leave for the day. Know and understand the risks dependent on your local weather.

• 1 month later...
Very true calola, it is also really important to check the bush fire risk level on your states bush fire site and learn what each level means. If it reaches Catastrophic my advise is leave for the day. Know and understand the risks dependent on your local weather.

Hi

We have recently arrived from the UK and were totally naive about the reality of "bushfires" thinking they were out in the bush away from the city. Well, we were looking in Doreen for a rental and they were full on about having a kit ready so if we needed to leave, we would have our bags packed and ready just in case. We have ended up just outside Berwick but even here we are told that this close to the Dandenongs, we should be Fire Ready at all times during the Summer.

I am scared now.... When do people actually leave - orange? Red? We only have one car just now and I am scared that the kids and myself will end up stuck in the outer suburbs if it is a hot windy day....

And to think we are all in the UK reading about spiders, jelly fish and blue octopuss never minding the actual risk of fire....

:arghh: :arghh: :arghh:

Edited by LadyCroft

Hi

We have recently arrived from the UK and were totally naive about the reality of "bushfires" thinking they were out in the bush away from the city. Well, we were looking in Doreen for a rental and they were full on about having a kit ready so if we needed to leave, we would have our bags packed and ready just in case. We have ended up just outside Berwick but even here we are told that this close to the Dandenongs, we should be Fire Ready at all times during the Summer.

I am scared now.... When do people actually leave - orange? Red? We only have one car just now and I am scared that the kids and myself will end up stuck in the outer suburbs if it is a hot windy day....

And to think we are all in the UK reading about spiders, jelly fish and blue octopuss never minding the actual risk of fire....

:arghh: :arghh: :arghh:

Beaconsfield is also an area to be very aware of they have had some nasty fires there in the past. Have a look on http://cfa.vic.gov.au there is a huge amount of information that will help you. If you have no car get to know the neighbours just so they know you may need help. Dont be to scared just be careful and learn what you need to do. Simple things but important things like copies of all important documents, a USB or similar with your photos, check the weather and have fuel in the car no good finding out you need to go to a petrol station if you should need to leave in a hurry. Ask the childrens schools what there bush fire plan is so you know where your children will be, keep your mobile charged up, in an emergency warnings are sent out to land lines and mobile phones. For you being new to Aus dont even think about staying if there is a bad fire and warning for your area just get in the car and leave.

• 1 year later...

Here we go again people bush fires are starting. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-04/home-damaged-by-north-queensland-bushfire/6750680 for all the new members of POMs who are new to Aus please take the time to read the info on your states CFA (Country Fire Authority) sites. Make sure you have a bush fire emergency plan in place. Bush fires can strike anywhere any time even inner city suburbs can be at risk. Some good advise in this thread.

Guest The Pom Queen
Here we go again people bush fires are starting. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-04/home-damaged-by-north-queensland-bushfire/6750680 for all the new members of POMs who are new to Aus please take the time to read the info on your states CFA (Country Fire Authority) sites. Make sure you have a bush fire emergency plan in place. Bush fires can strike anywhere any time even inner city suburbs can be at risk. Some good advise in this thread.

An old thread but very relevant thank you for bumping @Tina2 the fire was where we looked at buying when we first arrived in Townsville but Rob thought it was too far out for the hospital and schools. I'm glad we didn't now. Thankfully no homes were destroyed, it was s shed and the out wall of the house had smoke damage. Very lucky.

Hi Pom Queen,

Glad to hear no major damage but sad but true I doubt we will get through the fire season with out property loss and maybe even human loss.

I wanted to bump this as new migrants have no idea how different Aus especially rural areas are from the UK. So many things to be aware of .

I wanted to bump this as new migrants have no idea how different Aus especially rural areas are from the UK. So many things to be aware of .

Good idea.

I lived in a bush fire prone area for 20 years and was NEVER ready for the season to start; which was just so irresponsible.

My plan was to evacuate as soon as I saw flames without binoculars.

I evacuated once in 20 years.

Good idea.

I lived in a bush fire prone area for 20 years and was NEVER ready for the season to start; which was just so irresponsible.

My plan was to evacuate as soon as I saw flames without binoculars.

I evacuated once in 20 years.

Gee flames that close you would be very lucky to get out alive. Came close to loosing everything in 2009, I still carry wire cutters in the car, sounds crazy I know but just habit now. What makes me SO angry are those who move to the country, and have no idea of bush fire prevention and don't want to learn. They just don't get that by not preparing they are in fact putting neighbours at risk.

• 4 weeks later...
Gee flames that close you would be very lucky to get out alive.

That is rather over dramatizing things - they weren't THAT close.

I could see the flames across the valley on other side of ridge. But I was in no immediate danger.

In fact, most of the suburb was out watching the Elvis helicopter dump water on the flames.

I chose to evacuate as bush brigade said leave now or soon it will be too late.

I didn't want to get stuck on road with a hundred other people who had also left it too late.

My gran will probably freak out any time she hears about one now even if it's not in the same area!

My Mum is the same whenever she sees anything like that on the news back in Scotland; I just reply with "I'm miles away from it Mum, we're all safe here!".

We're not dismissive of the risk; there were a few big grass fires in neighbouring suburbs last year, but we've never encountered anything in our suburb.

My Mum is the same whenever she sees anything like that on the news back in Scotland; I just reply with "I'm miles away from it Mum, we're all safe here!".

We're not dismissive of the risk; there were a few big grass fires in neighbouring suburbs last year, but we've never encountered anything in our suburb.

ill have to do the same. It's going to be a nightmare with her and my mum for the first few months