Shipping Person Booze Collection

debanks

First post on here so be gentle with me.

My wife and I are looking to move out to Melbourne around June next year and I have the task of arranging the logistics.

Not surprising high on my importance list is my Malt Whiskey collection. Apart from having a very expensive party to say goodbye to the UK can I ship them?

Some are open some not.

Thanks for the help and Hello.

Lol, My OH has the same problem.

Answer is - YES you can ship them in your container, but you will get taxed for them.

There is no duty-free allowance for stuff in your container.

You could carry them with you in your suitcase and they will then qualify for a duty free allowance, but you'll need to make sure they're well packed and safe because they'll have to go in your checked luggage.

Jon's deciding what his most precious bottles are and taking those, the rest are being drunk...

Having just done a quick count i think there are at least 30 bottles I would want to bring! Not going to fit in luggage.

Any idea of what the import duty will be?

Might have to pass them round a few close friends and repurchase in Aus.

Why not give them to a relative to keep fpr you when you go back for holidays or decide to return.

30 bottles would definitely exceed your duty free allowance (2.25L per person)

Not sure what the duty would be, you could probably find out via the customs website - http://www.customs.gov.au

Sorry normally I'd try to find out for you, but am off to the Vets with the (not-so)vicious Satchdog for her emigration blood tests!!!

I'd love to know if you find out a rough idea though!

BTW - http://www.danmurphys.com.au is one of the biggest (and I mean they're the size of B&Q) bottle shop chains around. They're usually one of the cheaper places to buy replacements...

This is from a PDF I downloaded a while back as my hubby has quite a collection also. He's decided to slowly drink his :laugh:

AFAIK it is still current.

Item No: Excise Tariff Act Schedule

2 SPIRITS; OTHER EXCISABLE BEVERAGES OF AN ALCOHOLIC STRENGTH BY VOLUME EXCEEDING 10%

(A) Brandy

© Fruit brandy

(D) Whisky

(F) Rum

(G) Liqueurs

(H) Other Excisable Beverages of an alcoholic strength by volume exceeding 10% [Vodka, Ouzo, Gin, Other]

Rate of Duty (work down the list in order of above, whiskey is 3rd down)

$58.48 [previously $57.62] per litre of alcohol

$62.64 [previously $61.71] per litre of alcohol

You can find this if you search online for 'DSICA REFERENCE GUIDE EXCISE DUTY RATES - AUSTRALIA'

Wow.

Bloody wow.

Yeah. I did some research on it all last year and came up with some outrageous numbers. I'd love to find out these are wrong and its only $6.71 :laugh:

:wideeyed::yes:

This has happened to me twice now, with family and friends benefitting from my good taste in booze! My lucky BIL inherited all my red wine and whiskey collection in 2009. Now I just buy and drink it all so no bottles hanging around.... If you have so much good stuff I suppose you could sell some of the nicer ones?

Guest plannerOH
This is from a PDF I downloaded a while back as my hubby has quite a collection also. He's decided to slowly drink his :laugh:

AFAIK it is still current.

Rate of Duty (work down the list in order of above, whiskey is 3rd down)

You can find this if you search online for 'DSICA REFERENCE GUIDE EXCISE DUTY RATES - AUSTRALIA'

I had a similar dilemma and looked into the duty charge. If I'm reading it right, the duty is per litre of actual ALCOHOL, not per litre of spirit. So if it's a 1L bottle of 40% abv gin, the tax is figured for 400ml alcohol.

And then you pay 10% GST on top of that. It seems that it pretty much brings the price of an imported bottle (that's outside your duty free allowance) equal to or about 10% above spirits prices in Aussie shops.

I had a similar dilemma and looked into the duty charge. If I'm reading it right, the duty is per litre of actual ALCOHOL, not per litre of spirit. So if it's a 1L bottle of 40% abv gin, the tax is figured for 400ml alcohol.

And then you pay 10% GST on top of that. It seems that it pretty much brings the price of an imported bottle (that's outside your duty free allowance) equal to or about 10% above spirits prices in Aussie shops.

Interesting :biggrin:

I've only ever found that for costs and will try to see if there is anything else online to clarify it. Thanks.

You will not be able to claim the UK duty/tax and excise paid when you purchased the bottles.

There is NO duty free allowance for alhohol carried within a shipment ( not personally carried by you ).

The duty/tax payable to Au customs is based on the alcohol contents not the volume of the bottle. Au customs will require a list showing:-

Type ( whisky etc )

Volume per bottle ie 75cl

Price paid per bottle

Percentage of alcohol ie 22%

Do not take 'part' bottles.

Customs are also likely to charge an adminstration fee.