Guitar and XBOX by plane

Guest cookemd

Hi All,

I've only got 2 more weeks before I make my big move to Sydney, so excited!!!

I've just booked my flight with Singapore Airlines and just wondered if you good people knew the answer to a couple of questions.

1) I want to take my guitar with me, is there anyway this could be classed at hand luggage or will have to pay extra?

2) My games console (XBOX) am I allowed to put this in my suitcase or hand luggage or would it have to get shipped over?

Thanks Alot!

Hi All,

I've only got 2 more weeks before I make my big move to Sydney, so excited!!!

I've just booked my flight with Singapore Airlines and just wondered if you good people knew the answer to a couple of questions.

1) I want to take my guitar with me, is there anyway this could be classed at hand luggage or will have to pay extra?

2) My games console (XBOX) am I allowed to put this in my suitcase or hand luggage or would it have to get shipped over?

Thanks Alot!

Not sure about the guitar but.............................

I bought one of those little suitcases that you can take on the plane as hand luggage specifically for my sons xbox, games, controllers and wires !!

The only down side was having to empty the case out at every airport - everything was x-rayed countless times but it was all in good working working order by the time we finally arrived back home.

Guitars can sometimes be taken on instead of hand-luggage. I've done it short haul in Europe with BA, they just put it in the wardrobe at the back of the plane, since the overhead lockers were pretty full.

This is what the SA website says:

Oversized musical instruments

oversizeinstruments_logo.jpg

An oversized musical instrument (eg. cello, guitars, etc) can only be carried onboard if you are travelling in Economy Class and if you purchase an extra seat to accommodate it. The muscial instrument will be placed on the floor and properly secured by seat belts to the seat frame. Suites, First and Business Class seats do not have accessible seat frames to secure musical instruments on.

The maximum weight and dimension allowable is:

• Weight: 75 kg
  • Height: 61"
  • Width: 19" (based on armrest to amrest seat width)

Note:

A Double Bass is not allowed onboard as it exceeds the height limit set above.

Although guitars are normally less than 7 kg (that is within the cabin weight allowance), it may be considered as oversized due to its (dimensions) ; and may not be allowed in the cabin if no extra seat(s)have been purchased for it. If you do not plan to purchase an extra seat, your guitar should be packed in a suitable hard case and checked in to avoid damage.