how much hand luggage with singapore

yumimumi

hi, we are flying to australia from heathrow in october. with singapore airlines.

just wondered how much hand luggage we can take on board with us. have had a look on singapore air website

there will be myself, OH and our little girl. was thinking of taking a small trolley case each. 2 x laptops, my handbag, portable dvd player which OH would carry and little one would carry toddlers backpack

will we be able to take all this. dont want to get stung at checkin desk. please help

So long as you don't go over the dimension sizes for the hand luggage cases you should be fine. Although I think you'll need to put the DVD player in one of the cases.

FWIW when we flew, 2 adults, one child we took a hand luggage case for our son also, rather than just a small backpack for him to wear. That way we fitted more and had a change of clothes for him, PJ's and his sleeping bag. And room for some cartons of drink, snacks, toys and everything else.

Also if you are taking 2 laptops why do you need a DVD player? I'd let your daughter watch some films from a laptop if need be. The kids TV on the flight is usually good. And if its a night flight sleeping also happens. I'd drop the DVD player if it were me, but its your call. Waiting in the airport to depart and stuff we don't go for TV watching for kids, we keep moving, keep doing stuff. We go with the wear them out approach so they sleep on the plane rather than the sitting still and zoning out before boarding and then have too much energy once on the plane.

snifter - do you know how strict SIA are with the weight of hand luggage? Cheers

I'd not go over the limit. IIRC its 7kg which is ample (check with the airline though to be sure). Plus you have to lug it around. And putting more than that in the overhead locker is dangerous also. Its one of the reasons they have a weight limit. Stick to it or under, its 24 hours with a small suitcase and without a change of clothes. Its not that bad :)

The wheeled suitcases all weigh a bit. No getting away from it. But you can use a canvas bag, a holdall or some such and they are all lighter.

Honestly, you really won't go over 7kg. Keep it basic, light and its fine. I usually pack for me my washbag with basic make up and hairbrush, toothbrush etc in. Change of underwear. Slippers (or wear comfy slip on shoes for the duration so not cramped into shoes during the flight), a book, magazine or two, snacks and a couple of other bits. O and my asthma meds.

If you are stopping over in Singapore airport for a few hours the showers are great to freshen up. Singapore $5 will get you the shower, a towel and they have body soap/shampoo on tap in there. Also there is a hairdryer to use to dry your hair. The cubicles are big so you get changed in them and shower in there aswell. So no need for toiletries like that.

Really, its 24 hours, you'll be zoned out for much of the flight, especially if its night time, watching the TV screen or reading. Its not like you need much. A Sudoko book or puzzle book if you want one is ok. Or your phone to play games on. You can do without loads of stuff for 24 hours travelling. Often half of what I pack in hand luggage isn't used during the flight. I often never even get the book out or eat the snacks.

If you're obviously loaded down with luggage they might weigh your carry-on, but if you're not going overboard and not obviously struggling with it they'll often won't.

I'm a big fan of the wheelie carry-ons, particularly if you're also carrying a lap-top, just makes it much easier! If you're going out to buy a new one look for a light-weight one with rotating wheels (so you can roll it sideways down the aisle on the plane).

Mine's bright red and I love it!!!

We are planning to fly with Singapore Airlines in December. On the website they do outline that 7kg weight limit, but you can carry virtually all of the things you listed above and beyond it:

http://www.singaporeair.com/jsp/cms/en_UK/travel_information/baggage-allowance.jsp

Articles Allowed Onboard

All airline members of the International Air transport Association (IATA) have agreed to observe the following baggage regulations. You may carry onboard the articles listed below free of charge, over and above your free baggage allowance (subject to local country specific restrictions, if any):

Ladies' handbagOvercoatUmbrellaWalking stickLaptop / Notebook PCSmall cameraReading material (reasonable amount)Infant’s food for consumption in flight and infant’s carrying basketA pair of crutches and/or other prosthetic devices for the passenger’s use provided the passenger is dependent upon them

Although I agree you are unlikely to need much in-flight, I think it is worth maximising what you take in hand luggage and definitely taking spare clothes etc... Although it is unlikely, sometimes checked baggage does get lost or delayed and it is nice if you have enough that it is not that much of a big deal!