Advice on high schools East Adelaide

Wispa

Hi I really need some guidance!! :biglaugh::wacko::wacko:

Im trying to research north east Adelaide areas to live (we should be there before xmas) but mainly high schools! any information on Golden grove high school? would be great?! I love the sound of the area (my OHs favorite!) and its VERY! close to my OHs work but Ive heard a few bad stories about the school (a stabbing in 2009?) I want to know if this was a isolated incident? or is the school a no no? I would prefer the blunt truth rather than not know plz help!

Id love to Move to Athelstone ideally but want to have a bigger area to find a rental before we leave but this doesnt help with school zoning etc as I was also looking at charles campbell high and banksia park international has anyone any preferences? all positive things about the last 2 so far but can anyone disagree with that?

thank you

wispa x

We are moving next July and are in the same situation, we want a nice secondary (ideally reception to Y12 so our boys are at the same place). I'm a seondary teacher and have a friend who teaches in Auz (Perth now) and been told to avoid going East of the city for schools. I have been told by a couple of people to avoid Elizabeth. I have been told to look at areas near the coast and that Henly Beach and Grange are the best, Semaphone is up and coming, Glenelg (busier) and Brighton in the South are nice. This is not from personal exprience, but it's somewhere to start.

If your other half is working near Golden Grove you're a bit stuck for choice - I would stay well away from Athelstone! I too have heard good things about Banksia Park. Schools in the East are a bit tricky as areas like Golden Grove went from nothing to hundreds of houses in the blink of an eye, the school would be a reflection of this, but it is an okay suburb for the east. The fact that the O-bahn has yet to be taken out to GG is a bit of a downer for sending your kids to a school in the city, so you'd be a bit stuck to whats around that area. I would always head south of the city, especially with kids, but it does depend on where the work is and how far you OH is willing to travel.

Best of luck! Oh and Adelaide is lovely (although I may be a little biased as it is my home town :cute:)

If your other half is working near Golden Grove you're a bit stuck for choice - I would stay well away from Athelstone! I too have heard good things about Banksia Park. Schools in the East are a bit tricky as areas like Golden Grove went from nothing to hundreds of houses in the blink of an eye, the school would be a reflection of this, but it is an okay suburb for the east. The fact that the O-bahn has yet to be taken out to GG is a bit of a downer for sending your kids to a school in the city, so you'd be a bit stuck to whats around that area. I would always head south of the city, especially with kids, but it does depend on where the work is and how far you OH is willing to travel.

Best of luck! Oh and Adelaide is lovely (although I may be a little biased as it is my home town :cute:)

I think JTRD must be more than a little out of date with his/her info! Firstly, if the OP is working in or near Golden Grove, the last thing they would want is to live in the south! Even given the choice, I personally would choose north east over the southern suburbs! I find the south too dry and dusty, too overdeveloped, houses too close together with no trees, too far from the city, and too full of Poms!! Secondly, Golden Grove has been established as a suburb for a long time now and the high school has an excellent reputation: it shares facilities and some staff I understand with two private schools - Pedare and Gleeson - and everyone I know that sends their kids there is happy. Thirdly, Athelstone is absolutely lovely, can't think why you'd suggest to stay away from there at all - perhaps you'd like to explain?

Oh, and Golden Grove is generally considered to be a northeastern suburb, as opposed to an eastern one.

Generally the Eastern and North Eastern suburbs have a huge choice of excellent schools, primary and senior, state and private. There would be no need to even think about sending your children into the City for schooling.

hi thx for your responses It all helps loads!

I wouldnt be happy to send my kids to the city for school really which is why im trying to find out as much as possible about the ones around the N east and my OH doesnt want to travel to far to work (i dont really blame him) the south does sound lovely though! but I also love the sound of athelstone, highbury and most places north to golden grove and greenwith so would be very interested in knowing why you wouldnt bother with Athelstone as I dont live there and its not easy to know whats what from looking at pictures and reading reviews and everyone's views are different but good to know them all

thx again wispa :yes:

I'm a seondary teacher and have a friend who teaches in Auz (Perth now) and been told to avoid going East of the city for schools.

Not sure if your friend means specifically in Perth, but here in Adelaide the East of the City tends to be the most upmarket (just take a look at some of the house prices!) and the schools accordingly among the best in the City - both state and private. Obviously the high house prices do tend to price a lot of people out of the area, hence why the south east and the north east are popular, being still very scenic yet within easy reach of the city centre for all that goes on there (festivals, restaurants, shows, sports etc) and also within reach of some of the eastern suburbs schools that have a high reputation (for example, in terms of state high schools, Marryatville, Glenunga and Norwood Morialta).

HTH