176 visa confusion

dani5

Not sure if anyone can help: :confused:

we are looking at applying for the 175 skilled independent visa but on the government website we also qualify under the 176 state/family sponsored visa... and this is a shorter processing time..

however, when i spoke to a migration agent the other day, they told me we were not eligible for the family sponsorship as our family live in Brisbane (which is not a regional area of Australia) but on the government website, it says any family members can sponsor you.

can anyone clarify this for me or is anyone going through the same thing?

thank you!!

The information on the DIAC website is rather confusing, but while family can sponsor you for a 176 visa regardless of where they live, you get no points for the sponsorship and the processing time for a 176 family sponsored visa is longer, not shorter than for a 175. There is an annual cap of 4100 family sponsored visas which contributes to to the longer processing time, but the main reason is that the faster processing time for a 176 applies ONLY if you have state sponsorship for an occupation on that state's State Migration Plan )SMP). Only state sponsored 176s fall into Priority Group 3 - family sponsored are in PG4 with the added complication of the annual cap.

Not sure if anyone can help: :confused:

we are looking at applying for the 175 skilled independent visa but on the government website we also qualify under the 176 state/family sponsored visa... and this is a shorter processing time..

however, when i spoke to a migration agent the other day, they told me we were not eligible for the family sponsorship as our family live in Brisbane (which is not a regional area of Australia) but on the government website, it says any family members can sponsor you.

can anyone clarify this for me or is anyone going through the same thing?

thank you!!

176 State Sponsored is shorter processing time (Priority processing 3)

175 & 176 family sponspored is priority processing 4

http://www.immi.gov.au/about/charters/client-services-charter/visas/8.0.htm

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/estimated-allocation-times.htm

Before 1 Jul 2011, the points system was different, you needed less points for 176 visa.

After 1 Jul 2011, the points for all visas are now the same 65, and no points given for family sponsored for 176, so now no difference between 175 and 176 family sponsored, same processing time, same points, but would have to go through the hassel of getting the paper work done for the sponsporship. As there is no benefit of 176 family sponsored anymore, technically it doesnt really exist.

If your occupation is on the QLD 176 state migration plan, and you get sponsorship from them you will receive faster processing.

http://203.210.126.185/dsdweb/v4/apps/web/secure/docs/4498.pdf

The agent was speaking about 475 provisional regional visa, which if an eligible relative living in regional australia you can get 10 points for this to help you get to the 65 needed to pass the points test.

hi sorry to jump in on this thread but how do i find out about this "state migration plan" i cant find any information anywhere in the IMMI i think the state sponsor 176 is the visa for me but cannot find the forms to apply (i cant find the 176 bit just not the state sponsor bit which it says to do first), any info much appreciated????

Regards,

Lydon

Hi guys, sorry to jump in on your threads , I'm a plumber waiting for my IELTS results this Saturday , could anyone please inform me which visa I should go for . Is it a 175 or 176 i'm very confused. Which one is the quickest and less expensive,

Were looking at Perth for next September.

Many thanks

• 1 month later...

hi just seen your post. Did you apply yourself for the WA SS as we need this for extra points to apply for 176 visa.

What is the form like and what sort of information is on there, do you also need to send off evidence of anythng with it

thanks very much sharon x