IELTS Re-marking

Guest Kalinka

Guest Kalinka

Hello everybody!

I've been following this forum for a while but this is my first post, so please bear with me. :)

I have recently received the results of my IELTS test where I got 7.5 for Writing (9.0 Listening; 9.0 Reading & 8.5 Speaking). I have now sent off a request for a re-mark of my writing module (I need at least an 8.0 in all categories to get the points required for the visa). This process is stated to take approximately 6-7 weeks. As you can appreciate, this is going to delay matters significantly for me but I can't move any further without it, as I would not have enough points to proceed.

My question is: does anybody know if it will actually take 6-7 weeks or could it be longer/quicker? Has anybody gone through this prosedure recently?

Also, does anybody know: if in the meantime (while waiting for the re-mark), I decide to take another IELTS test, would the results of this second test overwrite the re-marking decision (even if the latter is received after the second test has been taken)? Just worried - what if I get low marks in the second test and the re-mark will actually come back with a higher grade that I need, would I be snookered?

Thank you in advance.

Hi Kalinka, welcome to pio,

The second IELTS test you sit, affects neither the first one or the grade revision. You can perform as many IELTS as you can afford, and you only send to DIAC the one that fits their threshold.

As for the time it takes for a remark, I requested one almost a year ago, and it did take 7 weeks, but in the end, it was worth the wait. Just llike yourself, I asked for a remark in the writing module and they corrected a 6.5 with an 8.0. The reason they gave me for the delay, is that the remarking is done in Britain by a senior marker. Go figure.

Good luck!

Guest Kalinka

Thank you, everyone. Gives me some hope and would make the next 7 weeks a bit more bearable. I think I'd better look into booking another test too, just in case!

Thank you, everyone. Gives me some hope and would make the next 7 weeks a bit more bearable. I think I'd better look into booking another test too, just in case!

I have sat 2 IELTS and got 9s for all components except writing whic i got a 7.5; i got and 8 in te first test for this but 0nly a 6.5 on the reading which is why i resat! Gutted i have to sit again to get an 8 in all areas. i had the writing remarked and it took about 8 weeks but they didn't budge on the score...i hope you are lucky.

Guest Grantme7

Hi

I sat for my second sitting on 13August '11 and I got my result yesterday.

The result turned out badly

Listening 7

Reading 6.5

Writing 7

Speaking 6.5

My first sitting was on 6 Nov 2010.

Listening 7

Reading 8

Writing 6.5

Speaking 7.5

I did not go for remark because it was sufficient to apply 176

However the computer expertise in ACS was not recognized by Queenslans state.

So I need to resit as in July there was new rules.

I am very skeptical about my reading result.

This is because 2 if the passages in the second sitting were the same

In my Nov sitting. Means the reading passages are repeated.

Last sitting I could get 8 but now this sitting I only manage to get 6.5

I just need 0.5 to be qualified.

For speaking thus round, it was not smooth as before and I paused a while during the presentation part. So should I go for remark ?

I read from the forum and a lot of the answers were not encouraging for reading to be remarked.

Can I still remark my first sitting?

Can I have a choice to choose which result I should submit to immigration or I have to choose the last sitting result.

Remark needs 8 weeks and if the result turns out the same, I need to resit

Retake I have 4 risks as I need to face 4 sections again remark I need to face 2... Any better deal?

I have been working in a multinational company for 6 years and able to communicate well with people in English but why immigration requires us to score 7 in all sections?

The result each time is very inconsistent and it us very tiring

Please advise.

Many thanks and appreciate your reply.

Result

Just had mine remarked - results through yesterday , I have 9 speaking, 9 reading 8 listening and 7.5 writing. Spent the £60 and sent off for the remark took 9 weeks and no change in the writing mark.

To me its been as waste and I could have sat another 3 IELTS tests in the time it took for the remark. I know that others have been successful with their appeals, I just feel that I have wasted over 2 months that could have been better spent retaking the tests.

• 1 month later...
Guest Kalinka

Just wanted to say that I have been informed by my IELTS centre that my Writing score of 7.5 (that was sent for a re-mark) remained the same, following re-assessment. The whole process took 7 weeks.

Good job that in the meantime I took another IELTS test and scored 9.0 in writing! :)

Just wanted to say that I have been informed by my IELTS centre that my Writing score of 7.5 (that was sent for a re-mark) remained the same, following re-assessment. The whole process took 7 weeks.

Good job that in the meantime I took another IELTS test and scored 9.0 in writing! :)

Well done you!! I had mine remarked because the first time i got an 8 in the writing and 6.5 in the reading. The 2nd time i got 9s in everything and a lousy 7.5 in the writing, i appealed and the remark was the same. I took my 3rd on Saturday and hoping, just hoping...i think i might have messed the listening up this time though!

Fingers crossed XXXX

Heather

Guest mandhani

Hi,

I got following scores exam held on 9th July 2011

L-8.5

R-8.5

W-7

S-6.5

I went for remarking for speaking module as soon as I got my results.

After much of followup I got my remark result on 18 October and my score of speaking was updated to 7 and I got 7 in each band with overall 7.

Enjoy

Mandhani

Guest Kalinka
Hi Kalinka,

I thought you got a 9 in your writing as i was speaking to you in another post? What happened? Did they change it?

Hope everything goes well with the re-marking! x

Hi Dani,

The other post was later than the first one in this thread. In my first attempt I got 7.5 for Writing, then when I took the test for the second time I got 9.0! So re-marking didn't work out for me but thankfully the second test results were enough for me to progress with this process.

Guest tobenhood
Hi Dani,

The other post was later than the first one in this thread. In my first attempt I got 7.5 for Writing, then when I took the test for the second time I got 9.0! So re-marking didn't work out for me but thankfully the second test results were enough for me to progress with this process.

hi kalinka, do u mind sending me ur ielts review materials esp in writing. I saw ur score and its pretty impressive. heres my email btw buenas_bonito@yahoo.com. thank you so much