Where to move to in nsw

Bushtail

hi everyone,

I've just registered and am not sure if I'm even on the right page but I hope I'm not upsetting anyone by being in the wrong place.

We've decided to join your forum as we have a daughter living in Sydney who has just received her residency permission and is already nagging us about moving over to Oz. We've been thinking about it anyway but there are masses of things to find out. The main thing is , where is the best area for two folks in there 60's to live. Not too far from Sysdney, not too hot , not too cold, somewhere where we will be welcomed into the community and be able to give smething back. Better stop there for now as the message is getting very long.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks.

Bushtail

:wacko:

Guest Guest31881

Hi Bushtail,

Welcome to PIO. Sorry but i do not know much about that part of Australia as I live in QLD, just wanted to welcome you to the site.

For what it is worth...

I think you would be welcomed into the community anywhere in Australia, Do you know what visa you would be applying for, That will be the first thing for you to sort out and I an sure there will be plenty of folks on here willing to offer advice,

Guest ozinpom

The central coast north of Sydney is probably the place to go. A lot of Sydneysiders retire there and it's a beautiful area with easy access to Sydney.

Hi Bushtail,

Welcome to PIO. Sorry but i do not know much about that part of Australia as I live in QLD, just wanted to welcome you to the site.

For what it is worth...

I think you would be welcomed into the community anywhere in Australia, Do you know what visa you would be applying for, That will be the first thing for you to sort out and I an sure there will be plenty of folks on here willing to offer advice,

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply and for the welcome. We were in Sydney 12 months ago and did a good deal of visa research with the famiy so we have a small level of confidence. Thanks again.

Bushtail

The central coast north of Sydney is probably the place to go. A lot of Sydneysiders retire there and it's a beautiful area with easy access to Sydney.

Thanks a bunch for responding. We'll add the ideas we hear to a dabase as we're coming again in November for our daughter's wedding. As we won't be needed much after the ceremony :-) we'll have time to look aroound again.

Thanks again,

Bushtail

Why not live near your daughter?. The Central Coast is OK but you may be a couple of hours away from her.

Sydney tends to be hotter and more humid the farther away from the coast you go where you have the benefit of sea breezes.

I don't know whether you still want a garden, want to drive or use public transport & how much you can afford to pay.

Move into an new, inner-city appartment close to public transport, the CBD, a hospital, etc. My parents used to like to stay with me in Surry Hills because everything was so close, bus at the door, station ten mins walk

Why not live near your daughter?. The Central Coast is OK but you may be a couple of hours away from her.

Sydney tends to be hotter and more humid the farther away from the coast you go where you have the benefit of sea breezes.

I don't know whether you still want a garden, want to drive or use public transport & how much you can afford to pay.

Move into an new, inner-city appartment close to public transport, the CBD, a hospital, etc. My parents used to like to stay with me in Surry Hills because everything was so close, bus at the door, station ten mins walk

Thanks for your mail, MaryRose, we stayed in the Roselle area last year and realised how easy it is to get in and out of the City with public transport, a big plus. We will not have a great deal to spend on a home as we are likely to be selling in the depression which has hit us much moreso than Australia and we are also aware that food etc is much more expensive in the city so we're looking for the best we can get for as little. (Most people's aim I guess).

We have in mind Kiama but that will mean transport, time and distance from the family so your suggestion about Surrey Hills is interesting. Many thanks

Bushtail

I like Kiama too, nice size, on the beach but it's a long way from your daughter. It's a nuisance is someone get's sick and/or you are relying on public transport.

I think of Surry Hills (Rozelle is good too) as being like the bulls eye in the dartboard with all the other places the double numbers. I'm equal distance from them all but if you live on the outer it can be difficult to get to another 'outer'!

You could always rent your house out in England and rent a place in Australia.

ps No 'E' in Surry HIlls - they have misspelt it from 1788 or whenever. I must do some research on the origin. There is an 'E' in Melbourne's Surrey Hills tho??

There's a couple of novels set in Surry HIlls too - by Ruth Park? 'Poor Man's Orange' & 'Harp in the South'????

pps question marks means I'm not sure of my facts!

I like Kiama too, nice size, on the beach but it's a long way from your daughter. It's a nuisance is someone get's sick and/or you are relying on public transport.

I think of Surry Hills (Rozelle is good too) as being like the bulls eye in the dartboard with all the other places the double numbers. I'm equal distance from them all but if you live on the outer it can be difficult to get to another 'outer'!

You could always rent your house out in England and rent a place in Australia.

ps No 'E' in Surry HIlls - they have misspelt it from 1788 or whenever. I must do some research on the origin. There is an 'E' in Melbourne's Surrey Hills tho??

There's a couple of novels set in Surry HIlls too - by Ruth Park? 'Poor Man's Orange' & 'Harp in the South'????

pps question marks means I'm not sure of my facts!

Thanks for all of that useful info. I noticed the 'mispel' after I went onto Google Earth and will now use it correctly. :yellow_guy_smiling_

Bushtail

Guest Bazinga

I love the central coast. Good train links to Sydney. Have a look at the train map ^ see what areas you fancy. Hawkesbury River is gorgeous, quite like Gosford/Wyoming. Known as gods waiting room but there's plenty to do - lively RSL club, fishing etc

I love the central coast. Good train links to Sydney. Have a look at the train map ^ see what areas you fancy. Hawkesbury River is gorgeous, quite like Gosford/Wyoming. Known as gods waiting room but there's plenty to do - lively RSL club, fishing etc

Thanks or the response.

Bushtail.

• 1 year later...

First I need to apologise to everyone who has troubled to reply to my first blog query (ever). Alot has happened, andvery quickly, since that first time and situations change as you must all know. However, we arer noe intending to apply for a bridging visa and the liklyhood is that we shall move up into QLD later this year but at present aren't sure where. The family are expecting to move first and we should be able to join them as Aged Parents as soon as the job and house situation is settled. When that happens we shall be able to let you all know how we got on and to let you know of any pitfalls we find on the way. we're currently looking in the Margate area b ut, as you know, at this stage there is nothing written in stone. (Part of the excitement really). Good luck to others in the same situation and we'll be in touch.

Bushtail