Is the dream over?:(

moss2oz

I'm new to PIO but not new to wanting to move to Oz. Ever since I visited my sister and her family in 1997 with my husband, I have wanted to move there permanently. At the time neither of us had any skills that they wanted and then we started our own family and other priorities took over. As my kids grew up I would have my sister visit and we would visit her and the pull was always there. Now I have been to university and got a degree in social work. I qualified last year and have been working for a local authority children's team for over a year. I finally thought, yes, I can apply for my skilled visa - but no, they've changed the points test as of 1st July and I don't have enough points :arghh: I've looked into employer sponsorship and applied for a few jobs on seek.com but I would prefer to try to get a permanent visa rather than risk having to work in a job for years that I don't like. I'm going over in October for a wedding and was thinking I could make a few appointments or show my face in a few places I'd like to work at - the personal touch. My husband is a HGV driver and we have both worked since leaving school and would be happy to work in Australia and contribute to the economy and so forth. However, I am losing faith in the whole system and my husband is getting more and more frustrated at the fact that we seem to have a lot to offer but have to jump through so many hoops for the Australian Government. He has never really wanted to go but understands that we have to try and look back with no regrets.

I just felt like I needed to rant and I guess I hoped someone may be able to offer some positivity as I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle here.:sad:

Guest Ukmover

I would suggest chatting to an immigration agent or two. Can recommend Sherie at MigrateMates.com.

They should be able to give you some advice and also assist if you do decide to commit to the move.

Good luck.

I'm new to PIO but not new to wanting to move to Oz. Ever since I visited my sister and her family in 1997 with my husband, I have wanted to move there permanently. At the time neither of us had any skills that they wanted and then we started our own family and other priorities took over. As my kids grew up I would have my sister visit and we would visit her and the pull was always there. Now I have been to university and got a degree in social work. I qualified last year and have been working for a local authority children's team for over a year. I finally thought, yes, I can apply for my skilled visa - but no, they've changed the points test as of 1st July and I don't have enough points :arghh: I've looked into employer sponsorship and applied for a few jobs on seek.com but I would prefer to try to get a permanent visa rather than risk having to work in a job for years that I don't like. I'm going over in October for a wedding and was thinking I could make a few appointments or show my face in a few places I'd like to work at - the personal touch. My husband is a HGV driver and we have both worked since leaving school and would be happy to work in Australia and contribute to the economy and so forth. However, I am losing faith in the whole system and my husband is getting more and more frustrated at the fact that we seem to have a lot to offer but have to jump through so many hoops for the Australian Government. He has never really wanted to go but understands that we have to try and look back with no regrets.

I just felt like I needed to rant and I guess I hoped someone may be able to offer some positivity as I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle here.:sad:

Hi, we may be in the same boat ...similar story to yours but i qualified as a social worker 2 years ago. we have both always worked neve claimed benefits etc. I also thought when I did my degree that we would be in with a chance. I have just contacted go matilda and forwarded a cv for that they can determine if previous jobs will count as work experience in a similar profession which bumps the points up. As i am 42yrs the points have dropped so hope can make up with the years working experience. I will post any response I get from them...good luck

Guest francky

NO.. DONT GIVE UP!!!!!

we also did the same.. enquired during 1999, we weren't in the skill list then..

but later during 2008 qualified ourselves and now are in the verge of getting our grant.. so NEVER give up.. as they always say .. if there is a will there a WAY

Guest cazbeckham

Good Luck with what you do and Go Matilda agents are excellent so have a chat with them.

Also your Husband may be able to get a driving job with the mines. At least it could get you over here.

Hi, we may be in the same boat ...similar story to yours but i qualified as a social worker 2 years ago. we have both always worked neve claimed benefits etc. I also thought when I did my degree that we would be in with a chance. I have just contacted go matilda and forwarded a cv for that they can determine if previous jobs will count as work experience in a similar profession which bumps the points up. As i am 42yrs the points have dropped so hope can make up with the years working experience. I will post any response I get from them...good luck

Thanks, Andy Paula & Co

I contacted Go Matilda recently and they said to wait until the points test had been verified as last minute changes are often made and to contact them after July. I was a secretary prior to qualifying and I understand they won't even consider social work you did while studying because you weren't qualified. However, I'm sure agents have a way of working through minor glitches and loopholes so you may be good. Lety me know how you get on and thanks for the response.

What are you missing on the skills test? Do you not meet it if you sit the English test and get the highest mark giving you 20 pts (if I remember correctly)? What about if you get state sponsorship for an extra 5 points? That's fairly quick on turnaround and then you go into cat 2 for the DIAC visa which are currently being processed pretty quickly! xx

I have factored in me getting full marks for English and I haven't even sat the English test so full marks already there. I'm losing marks for only one years qualified experience and even though my sister lives there I get no points because she lives in Perth metropolitan and not a regional area. To be honest I haven't looked too much into state sponsorship because I thought it related to specific areas and I would want to be close to fasmily so would be Perth as opposed to specific areas. Maybe I should have a cloer look. Thanks for the tip Baxters2011.

I have factored in me getting full marks for English and I haven't even sat the English test so full marks already there. I'm losing marks for only one years qualified experience and even though my sister lives there I get no points because she lives in Perth metropolitan and not a regional area. To be honest I haven't looked too much into state sponsorship because I thought it related to specific areas and I would want to be close to fasmily so would be Perth as opposed to specific areas. Maybe I should have a cloer look. Thanks for the tip Baxters2011.

No probs - state sponsorship gets you an extra 5 points and all you do is go onto the state website for where you are wanting to move and if your job is listed on their jobs list then you can apply to them for the state sponsorship. When you have that backing, you then apply direct to DIAC for a state sponsored visa and the visa goes through much quicker! Some are only taking a few months. xx

Thanks, Andy Paula & Co

I contacted Go Matilda recently and they said to wait until the points test had been verified as last minute changes are often made and to contact them after July. I was a secretary prior to qualifying and I understand they won't even consider social work you did while studying because you weren't qualified. However, I'm sure agents have a way of working through minor glitches and loopholes so you may be good. Lety me know how you get on and thanks for the response.

hi again,

I've been in social care for last 10 years so could be classed as similar profession (or not depdending on aussie rules etc) as i understand it on new points system you need 65 and we will have 65 points if i get top marks on english test; however you need positive skills assessment and to get a positive one you need minimum 3 years post qualifying experience ( i only have 2 yrs) it is all totally confusing and have contacted agent to double check that i am not getting all this wrong.

will keep you posted...dont lose hope

No probs - state sponsorship gets you an extra 5 points and all you do is go onto the state website for where you are wanting to move and if your job is listed on their jobs list then you can apply to them for the state sponsorship. When you have that backing, you then apply direct to DIAC for a state sponsored visa and the visa goes through much quicker! Some are only taking a few months. xx

Have had a look at WA state sponsorship and although social worker is on the list you need at least three years work experience and I have only one year. Thanks for the info though - much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks, Andy Paula & Co

Hi moss2oz,

Got an update for you. To go as a social worker you need 3 years post qualifying experience for a positive skills assessment. To go as a welfare worker you dont as with the BA Hons you are more than qualified; however to get state sponsorship for either profession you still need 3 years post qualifying experience. Northern Territory and ACT are sponsoring for welfare workers currently. It looks like you need the 3 years experience to be able to claim points on the new assessment system also, so without that I wouldnt have enough points. Go Matilda have calculated that i have 30 points with a possible extra 20 with ILETS which is still not enough; therefore I will need the 3 years work experience and state sponsorship to get me the 60 points. I may as well wait a year and get the postive skills assessment as a social worker with the three years experience and posibillity of state sponsorship.

Feel disappointed but at least I will have longer to save.

Paula

Paula

Hi moss2oz,

Got an update for you. To go as a social worker you need 3 years post qualifying experience for a positive skills assessment. To go as a welfare worker you dont as with the BA Hons you are more than qualified; however to get state sponsorship for either profession you still need 3 years post qualifying experience. Northern Territory and ACT are sponsoring for welfare workers currently. It looks like you need the 3 years experience to be able to claim points on the new assessment system also, so without that I wouldnt have enough points. Go Matilda have calculated that i have 30 points with a possible extra 20 with ILETS which is still not enough; therefore I will need the 3 years work experience and state sponsorship to get me the 60 points. I may as well wait a year and get the postive skills assessment as a social worker with the three years experience and posibillity of state sponsorship.

Feel disappointed but at least I will have longer to save.

Paula

Paula

Hi Paula

Thanks for the update - much appreciated. Sounds like we're in a very similar position yes. I am sending off my AASW assessment form tomorrow. I've exchanged e-mails with an officer at the AASW and she seems quite confident that I'll be okay without the three years experience for my assessment so fingers crossed. i'm visiting Perth in October for a wedding so hopefully will have a positive assessment by then to take with me just in case I get lucky with any employers I may meet over there.:wink:

Interesting what you say about the welfare worker - it's worth bearing in mind. I won't have three years experience until 2013 so am hoping that I may get employer sponsorship before then, otherwise I'll just have to wait until then to apply for the permanent visa which would be better. It's a long time to have your life on hold though, so am hoping something comes up before then. I'll keep you posted.

Debbie