Home contents insurance

Guest OzScouser

Guest OzScouser

Hi All,

I've spent a bit of time over the last week looking for the best deal on home contents insurance. We have a one bedroom apartment and want to insure the contents for around 90k.

So far GIO and YouI are coming out as the most reasonable.

Has anybody used anyone else? Maybe a smaller, independant company?

We live on the Northern Beaches so no risk of flooding, fires (hopefully if the missus stays out of the kitchen).

Thanks

Hi All,

I've spent a bit of time over the last week looking for the best deal on home contents insurance. We have a one bedroom apartment and want to insure the contents for around 90k.

So far GIO and YouI are coming out as the most reasonable.

Has anybody used anyone else? Maybe a smaller, independant company?

We live on the Northern Beaches so no risk of flooding, fires (hopefully if the missus stays out of the kitchen).

Thanks

I used Real Insurance for the first few months over in Perth whilst i was renting but changed to SGIO when i bought my house and got a mortgage because Real Insurance werent on the bank's list of recommended insurers and they like you to use one that is on their list. :biggrin:

We're with Suncorp.

I can't say whether or not they're the cheapest but I have to say that we've had to make a couple of claims and can't speak highly enough of this aspect of things...prompt payments and no attempts to wriggle out of the claims on technicalities.

My wife spilled Cola into her laptop and, once it was written off, she got a "new for old" replacement of a really nice one despite the original being 3 years old.

Even if they're more expensive (and they seem competitive to me) I'm willing to pay a bit extra for this kind of service.

(Not sure if the advertise outside Queensland as I've only ever lived in the Sunshine State...)

Bob

Suncorp for the fourth time here. there's a reason those discount insurers are so cheap; they wrangle out of paying. Suncorp aren't the cheapest around but they are by far the most ethical that I've ever had to deal with

The main thing is knowing the company will pay up when you need to claim.

Going with the cheapest can be a risk, or going with a small, unknown company.

I'm with QBE and they seem to be good. I have only claimed for a broken window once and they were great.