Taking the plunge on my own

Guest SJB

Hey all, Im coming over to melbourne in august on a 1yr working holiday visa, thing is i was supposed to be learning the ropes from my cousin who's been living in oz (mainly melbourne) for the last 18 months, however she's got herself a well paid job in the middle of nowhere which she's not gonna leave until her visa runs out in december and she buggers off to thailand.

Sooo i'm a bit stuck and a finding the prospect a bit daunting now, i have no idea what i need to do, am i best off booking a hotel for a week while i look for somewhere to live? i was at the embassy in london last week for a skilled emigration seminar (qualified plumber) and i got some phone numbers for employment agencies but am i likely to get into some work quickly?

I'm a 24 yr old lad by the way.

thanks in advance for any help

Hi sjb

Welcome to the forum. Yes, it's probably best to book into some form of short term accommodation, to give you a chance to search for a longer term rental once you know where you want to be based etc. You could consider hotels or a cabin on a holiday park or have a look on gumtree for short term rooms to let, couch surfing etc.

Bear in mind that if you're looking for work as a plumber, you'll probably need to register. Have a look @ http://www.pic.vic.gov.au/www/html/113-introduction.asp for registration and overseas qualifications.

Hey all, Im coming over to melbourne in august on a 1yr working holiday visa,

I wouldn't consider a hotel, go for a backpackers hostel. Firstly its a lot cheaper, ranges from £10 to £30 per night depend on room type some hostels will give you special rates if you stay for a few weeks / months, just ask. Secondly you will get to meet like minded people that will be able to give you help and advice. When I did my reccie in 2006 I stayed at the Greenhouse Backpackers http://greenhouse.melbourne-hostels.com.au which was more then adequate or you can try YHA which is always good! http://www.yha.com.au/

Guest HighlanderHeather

Hi,

I am a 34-year-old woman and did the same thing when I was 24 and I never looked back. I went to Oz totally on my own. I had no family there and knew noone. It's better to go alone because you are forced to make friends and believe me, in Melbourne you won't have a problem. Don't stay in a hotel. It's a totally wrong move. Go to a backpacker hostel. I stayed at a legendary place called the Coffee Palace in St Kilda. St Kilda is near the beach and is party central so you will have a great time and will meet loads and loads of people.

It's understandable to be nervous, and you have nightmares thinking all the bad things that could happen ie you won't meet anyone, you won't find a job, you will be lonely etc. But I can assure you this WON'T happen. The first few days are daunting, but that first chat you have with someone in the hostel kitchen on your first night will lead to many friends and great times. I wish I was doing it all again. I've kept many friends since my backpacking days of partying and working in pubs around the country. I'm moving to Australia permanently on Thursday because I loved it so much.

Try to enjoy the butterflies. You are doing the best thing ever!

thanks all, put my mind a bit more at ease now

one more thing, am i best off opening an ozzie bank account before i leave? if so how do i go about that and which is the largest bank?

• 2 weeks later...

Definately stay in a backpacker hostel, at least initially. I did 15 years ago and there was no way you can feel alone, I had a brilliant laugh!

I used Commonwealth Bank when I was there. Looks like you can set up an account now before you arrive.

Personally, I set up the account when I arrived (same day as applying for a TFN - Tax File Number). In terms of address for the bank cards and TFN, I set up 'Poste Restante' at the Melbourne GPO (Had a big purse outside when I was there!), which meant that then, as I moved about, the post could be forwarded to where I was.

I learnt all this on arrival at the backpacker place - another reason to go there first (days before the internet LOL!)

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely try the hostel option...I work for YHA, Melbourne Metro is a cool hostel. In august it should be ok to book just a week and add to this if you need it..ask about 7 nights for price of six (winter offer) Around $28 a night for 8 shared dorm. Hostels have the advantage over hotels when alone...we have many guests travelling alone, you can cook your own food and bring your own beer..cheap cars for sale on notice board and friendly staff. Let me know if you book and i''l keep an eye out for you!

thanks all, put my mind a bit more at ease now

one more thing, am i best off opening an ozzie bank account before i leave? if so how do i go about that and which is the largest bank?

It's not that big a deal opening when you arrive but might be easier to sort out before you leave.

Big 4 banks are commonwealth, westpac, nab and anz.

I think nab and westpac both have easy ways to setup accounts from the uk...see their websites or do a search of this forum for lots of prior posts about it.