Coming to Adelaide

Guest Perthbound

Guest Perthbound

Hi.

Well it looks like we are finally making the leap..

I have been offered a job in Adelaide and as its city I have never to i was looking for some tips and advice on the city.

I will be working in Wakefield road Cavan.

Can anyone tell me where the best place to start looking at rented accomodation and what should i be looking forward to most from Adelaide.

Any advice will be gratefuly recieved as I am hoping to be out there in a couple of months.

Cheers All.

Gordy:err:

Guest Pixie10

Congratulations Gordy! I would advise you to check out Poms in Adelaide website- loads of help and advice on there (and fantastic photos!), also some of the members on there offer short term rental places until you can look around and sort yourself out.

Good luck !

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Try looking at this brilliant site ......... realestate.com.au we love it ........... we like the look of Hallet cove and victor harbour, not far from the city and close to the sea, it looks blooming perfect. Best of luck.

Cavan is towards the north so I would suggest for initial short term accommodation you look somewhere around Mawson Lakes, Semaphore, Port Adelaide or even West Lakes.

You will find a lot of the short term accommodation options are in the south west, but that's not very useful for commuting to Cavan!

Longer term you could look at the same types of places, or North Eastern suburbs (prob about 20 mins commute, straight along Grand Junction Road) - I do know someone who lives in Happy Valley (south) and commutes to Cavan but if you go much further south than that you're condemning yourself to a lifetime spent commuting!!

Sorry Ropeyhoff but Victor Harbor is miles away - from the City and from Cavan! Lovely place for a weekend away though, but I do seem to hear about a lot of accidents on the main road going down there and back, so definitely wouldn't fancy it for a daily commute!

HTH

Guest teresa lynch
Thanks Pixie.

I will get a look at that site.

Thanks. :wink:

it is the best website ever try the game shopping cart hero 2 it is great

Guest Perthbound
Cavan is towards the north so I would suggest for initial short term accommodation you look somewhere around Mawson Lakes, Semaphore, Port Adelaide or even West Lakes.

You will find a lot of the short term accommodation options are in the south west, but that's not very useful for commuting to Cavan!

Longer term you could look at the same types of places, or North Eastern suburbs (prob about 20 mins commute, straight along Grand Junction Road) - I do know someone who lives in Happy Valley (south) and commutes to Cavan but if you go much further south than that you're condemning yourself to a lifetime spent commuting!!

Sorry Ropeyhoff but Victor Harbor is miles away - from the City and from Cavan! Lovely place for a weekend away though, but I do seem to hear about a lot of accidents on the main road going down there and back, so definitely wouldn't fancy it for a daily commute!

HTH

Thanks Diane.

All good stuff.

I have been looking at sites for rent but didnt know what suburbs I should be looking for.

What I prob will be looking for is something furnished for the first 6 months possible longer maybe up to 30 - 40 mins away.

Dont know yet what the wife plans on doing when we get there but she will prob get a job nearer the city so I would prob prefer somewhere that she can commute on bus or train.

I dont know if I should just get booked into a hotel or apartment for the first couple of weeks and house hunt when we are there.

Was told today to expect my visa around august so have so much to do and so little time to do it.

:wacko:

Guest Guest9973

Hiya

With a 30 to 40 minute commute radius you have a huge choice - some very nice areas!

Budget will play a big part.

Then you need to think if you wish to be close to the sea,in the hills. Urban or a little out.

Adelaide covers a huge area now,about the same as London if you drive from Sellick's Beach to Gawler - takes about 2 hours but a lot fewer people!

Normally Adelaide has something to offer for anyone,just takes a little finding.

Please don't commit to a long-term rental until you arrive. Most agents worth their salt will not let to unseen tenants and the description might not match in real life for you!!:cute:

• 2 weeks later...
but I do seem to hear about a lot of accidents on the main road going down there and back, so definitely wouldn't fancy it for a daily commute!

HTH

There are sooo many black and red crosses down this road - probably down to speed I guess as it's pretty straight and unimpeded.

Victor Harbour's a very nice area though - great for a weekend away!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest juliesmith3

hi we have been in adelaide 11 weeks and the best areas i have found is east adelaide and west by the sea. life is good here. when do you think you will be moving. julie (uk)

Guest juliesmith3

we live 2 mins outside semaphore, north haven and it is outstanding. u will love that area. we got a holiday villa for a week then rented after. good estate agent is bob mckenzie, west lakes but dont worry til you land. tell him you have been in touch with julie and he will look after you.

Guest Perthbound

Hi Julie.

Thanks for your response.

I have been checking a site recently looking at North haven and it looked lovely and quite reasonable priced.

I will look and see if Bob Mckenzie has a site i can look at.

The company i am joining is going to organise 2 weeks accomodation and car rental for us when we arrive which will take some of the pressure off us and allow us to house hunt.

We are loking at getting the visa at the end of August and cant wait to get out there.

How long have you been out there Julie and how do you find Adelaide as it wasnt our first choice to be honest.

Thanks again.

Gordon