Urgent Help Pls - Local Knowledge Ormiston

Guest IlkleyMoorBahtat

Guest IlkleyMoorBahtat

Hi All,

We have had to abandon Redcliffe as our chosen place to live as the commute has been much longer than anticipated. We are now looking south of the river in the bayside but we don't know this area well.

Today I saw a house in Ormiston on Fletcher Tce which seems nice and I think we would like to go for it but what is the area like? What choice do we have for primary schools as we can't stretch to Ormiston College unfortunately?

It seems like we would have to use the car to get to anywhere as I couldn't see any shops or parks nearby but maybe I missed them. I would prefer to walk sometimes at least.

Also, is there much going on for under 5's? Redcliffe only seems to have storytime at the library and three playgroups which are full.

Any local info very much appreciated as we are under pressure to find something soon.

Thanks in advance

Louise

Hello,

They have been lots of discussions re the bayside area, look up user Rudi and check out her post's. Rudi lives in Bayside and knows everything about the area so if your questions are not answered via reading old post's I am sure she will be along soon.

Tina, Family of Five

Hello,

They have been lots of discussions re the bayside area, look up user Rudi and check out her post's. Rudi lives in Bayside and knows everything about the area so if your questions are not answered via reading old post's I am sure she will be along soon.

Tina, Family of Five

Wondering how you got on.... Did you get Rudi? If not, let me know and I can text her to tell her to look at your post. The bayside is a lovely area and I have friends who are happy in Ormiston though I'm not sure what schools their children go to. Hope you find out what you need to know.

Guest IlkleyMoorBahtat
Alternative suggestion....14 mins from cbd on train....unless your heart is tied to the ocean :)

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-alderley-405051383

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-grange-405173159

Love the look of the Alderley one but two probs, one my hubby has to drive to Eagle Farm as there is no public transport near his work and I think across the city at 8am/5pm might be slow......the second, I do love the ocean!

Thanks for your suggestions, if you could just transport that property to give it ocean views it would be fantastic.....and probably out of our price range!

Love the look of the Alderley one but two probs, one my hubby has to drive to Eagle Farm as there is no public transport near his work and I think across the city at 8am/5pm might be slow......the second, I do love the ocean!

Thanks for your suggestions, if you could just transport that property to give it ocean views it would be fantastic.....and probably out of our price range!

1) Drive to eagle farm across the inner northern suburbs wouldn't be too bad I imagine through the back streets of ascot. No need to go near the city. 2) When nearby Kedron Brook floods it looks like an ocean sometimes :biggrin:

I would much rather be home in good time and walk to the best schools, shops, activities, transport etc and visit the ocean on the weekend but it's not about me ;)

Found perfect house for eagle farm worker :). http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-pinkenba-405170285. In the catchment for great little community primary school at Hamilton.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-clayfield-4605178

Sent her PM but not reply yet. I'm sure she'll look when she can.

Hi Louise

I have PM'd you. Sorry I didn't get back to you last night - I was in bed keeping warm whilst watching Greys Anatomy!!! Myrtle did send me a text, but I was asleep by then :biggrin:

I hope I have given you the information you needed from me, but please shout if you need anything else.

Take care

Love

Rudi

x

1) Drive to eagle farm across the inner northern suburbs wouldn't be too bad I imagine through the back streets of ascot. No need to go near the city. 2) When nearby Kedron Brook floods it looks like an ocean sometimes :biggrin:

I would much rather be home in good time and walk to the best schools, shops, activities, transport etc and visit the ocean on the weekend but it's not about me ;)

Found perfect house for eagle farm worker :). http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-pinkenba-405170285. In the catchment for great little community primary school at Hamilton.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-clayfield-4605178

I love the description on the first one "It's a quiet spot with a rural outlook, no traffic as it is a short street with no through connections.".....um yes - no mention of the fact that it's right next to the airport and would have 24 hours of aircraft take off and landings :biglaugh:

Love

Rudi

x

I love the description on the first one "It's a quiet spot with a rural outlook, no traffic as it is a short street with no through connections.".....um yes - no mention of the fact that it's right next to the airport and would have 24 hours of aircraft take off and landings :biglaugh:

Love

Rudi

x

:biggrin: They do say very handy for airport worker :biglaugh: Just had another look at that house in clayfield....looks lovely...wonder if there is any catch...

Hey

I live in Ormiston and am a school teacher. There are some good schools (Ormiston State and Birkdale, Wellington Point to name but three) so good choice.

Parks are lovely and close by (Hilliards Park is one to go to as there are some lovely things for the children to play on)

Lovely dog walks and bike trails around the area.

Shops (Cleveland) are only 3 minutes in the car. Everything you need from a bank to a butcher is there.

Raby Bay is only 3 minutes away and that has lovely resturants and coffee bars.

Tiny Beach is at Raby Bay (with BBQ to cook the meat) a lovely place to visit for the weekend

Send me a PM if you have any further questions but I hope that helps you - it certainly is a lovely are (with a good price increase in 2010 of 26% increasein residential home)

Good Luck

Kip

Hey

I live in Ormiston and am a school teacher. There are some good schools (Ormiston State and Birkdale, Wellington Point to name but three) so good choice.

Parks are lovely and close by (Hilliards Park is one to go to as there are some lovely things for the children to play on)

Lovely dog walks and bike trails around the area.

Shops (Cleveland) are only 3 minutes in the car. Everything you need from a bank to a butcher is there.

Raby Bay is only 3 minutes away and that has lovely resturants and coffee bars.

Tiny Beach is at Raby Bay (with BBQ to cook the meat) a lovely place to visit for the weekend

Send me a PM if you have any further questions but I hope that helps you - it certainly is a lovely are (with a good price increase in 2010 of 26% increasein residential home)

Good Luck

Kip

Hi Kip

I agree with everything you've said except the house price increases - prices are slowly dropping in the Redlands area, there certainly hasn't been that sort of increase!!!!! Actually, for the OP that's probably an advantage!!!

Love

Rudi

x

Rudi

Whilst I agree the house prices have slowed down over the last 12 months, the Bayside Bulletin each year print out a residential comparison of increase/decrease and 2009/2010 showed Ormiston at 26% increase (this is where I got the information from)

It is a double page spread that only comes out once a year and shows all the suburbs locally. It really is worth keeping (we have kept it for resale when we come to sell our property)

Whilst Ormiston wasn't the highest (I think one of the islands were) it was in the top quarter.

At the time we were shocked as we were ahead of many surrounding areas in the Bayside, like Wellington Point (that we thought were more expensive).

Since this hike the rise has been a lot slower but our house has risen dramatically in value since we bought the land 4 years ago. We had it valued twice and the increase has been reflected in the above quoted price rise.

For some reason, Ormiston stood out (I think that fact that the Private school is 8th in the state must be a leading factor??) Not sure as I have not lived in Australia for very long - only 4 years.

I just hope that helps the post who was looking for information on Ormiston - I am sure they could contact the Bayside Bulletin and find the information on the increase in this particular suburb. It is only through this report (and our own increase in property value) that I am able to comment on Ormiston as being a good area to buy a home.

Hope this helps ..............

Rudi

Whilst I agree the house prices have slowed down over the last 12 months, the Bayside Bulletin each year print out a residential comparison of increase/decrease and 2009/2010 showed Ormiston at 26% increase (this is where I got the information from)

It is a double page spread that only comes out once a year and shows all the suburbs locally. It really is worth keeping (we have kept it for resale when we come to sell our property)

Whilst Ormiston wasn't the highest (I think one of the islands were) it was in the top quarter.

At the time we were shocked as we were ahead of many surrounding areas in the Bayside, like Wellington Point (that we thought were more expensive).

Since this hike the rise has been a lot slower but our house has risen dramatically in value since we bought the land 4 years ago. We had it valued twice and the increase has been reflected in the above quoted price rise.

For some reason, Ormiston stood out (I think that fact that the Private school is 8th in the state must be a leading factor??) Not sure as I have not lived in Australia for very long - only 4 years.

I just hope that helps the post who was looking for information on Ormiston - I am sure they could contact the Bayside Bulletin and find the information on the increase in this particular suburb. It is only through this report (and our own increase in property value) that I am able to comment on Ormiston as being a good area to buy a home.

Hope this helps ..............

Ah, yes, that would explain why you think that. However, it's all about how they work out the numbers!!!!

For example, in one year if only cheaper houses in an area are sold, then they work out the average house price for that area based only on those sales. If the following year, it happens to be more expensive houses sold, then the average house price appears to be much higher, when in fact the reality is, that the house prices may have dropped in that area. it's not based on actual house values in the area.....only on the average house sales, which can be very misleading and lead to these odd results.

Hope that helps

Love

Rudi

x

Guest IlkleyMoorBahtat
:biggrin: They do say very handy for airport worker :biglaugh: Just had another look at that house in clayfield....looks lovely...wonder if there is any catch...

LOL....sure my boys would be impressed by the plane spotting!

Guest IlkleyMoorBahtat

it would seem my heart belongs in Cleveland. We drove past 7 potential properties today in Manly, Wellington Point, Ormiston....and finally Cleveland. The Cleveland one was a long shot as we thought the commute would be too far but the location of the house is beautiful and it took us 25mins to get from the house to the second exit off the gateway bridge (kingsmith drive?) which is just around the corner from my husbands work. So add traffic to that and I guess it could be 45mins which is still not bad.

Really lovely location.....hope the house viewing doesn't disappoint!

Thanks all for the info. Ormiston looks nice and the boys and I will certainly be exploring the area but just watching them on the beach today, I know that it will be a great place for them to grow up.

I really must make time to write my arrival report!!!!

it would seem my heart belongs in Cleveland. We drove past 7 potential properties today in Manly, Wellington Point, Ormiston....and finally Cleveland. The Cleveland one was a long shot as we thought the commute would be too far but the location of the house is beautiful and it took us 25mins to get from the house to the second exit off the gateway bridge (kingsmith drive?) which is just around the corner from my husbands work. So add traffic to that and I guess it could be 45mins which is still not bad.

Thanks all for the info. Ormiston looks nice and the boys and I will certainly be exploring the area but just watching them on the beach today, I know that it will be a great place for them to grow up.

A great choice...we stayed the first 6 months in Cleveland and now just up the road in Thornlands...we love it.

When you get yourselves settled ( or if you need anything in the meantime) give us a shout.

Melanie x

We love the bayside! Best of luck with your viewing ... Let us know how it goes? :wink:

Archived