Cost of Living in Sydney

Guest shaz3110

Guest shaz3110

Hi guys,

Looking for some good advice. Husband has been offered a job in Sydney with a salary of 150-160 AUD per year, we are a family of 5. Is this bad/average/good/v.good salary for comfortable living/mortgage/bills etc along with the occasional night out??

Have no idea and need good honest opinions.

Thanks

Sharon

Hi guys,

Looking for some good advice. Husband has been offered a job in Sydney with a salary of 150-160 AUD per year, we are a family of 5. Is this bad/average/good/v.good salary for comfortable living/mortgage/bills etc along with the occasional night out??

Thanks

Sharon

that salary is proberly twice the national average, saying that sydney is an expensive place and i think you need an above average salary to survive there , so it should be fine

Hi guys,

Thanks

Sharon

I presume you mean 150-160k?:smile:

Its about the equivalent of earning GBP60k a year in the UK and paying 400 pounds a week in rent. If you are on a TR visa don't forget the extras - school fees etc. etc.

Guest shaz3110

Thanks fleabo, yes I did mean 150-160K :smile:. Moirclan - thanks for the reply, should help with the decision making. Just need to sort out the school issue now.

hi i am in software,so got the visa,now planning to choose sydney,how much u think i shld quote for salary,if on contract or per position,i have 1 year old son,whomwe are planning to send to day care

also have to look for rental house.wht do u think how much shld i quote salary

hi i am in software,so got the visa,now planning to choose sydney,how much u think i shld quote for salary,if on contract or per position,i have 1 year old son,whomwe are planning to send to day care

also have to look for rental house.wht do u think how much shld i quote salary

I think you should wait till you get here and see what is on offer. You could also check with a few agencies and see what the going rate is.

You might be surprised to find a fair bit of competition in the software contracting market and you will be competing against people who have local knowledge and contacts. Don't aim to high to start off with.

Guest SarahRSG

I found Sydney expensive even compared to London - rent, food, and especially alcohol are the killers! Cars are also more expensive as they don't have the European import market on their doorstep.... however fuel is cheap.

$150-$160k is a good salary however - as pointed out above!

Regarding software work, I've found theres a lot of focus from employers in that market on people with local market knowledge, I've come across people with great experience for recognised companies, but because they don't have local Australian market experience some employers here wont even look at them. I'd recommend working on getting into a potentially more junior role, and building your experience up to getting the job you want after 6-12 months.

Archived