Hello! we're taking the plunge......

Ben1979

Hi everyone. Just to say this forum has been invaluable for our research on coming over, thanks to all for sharing some great info!

Me & my wife are coming over in 3 months or so. I have been offered a job in Canberra selling trucks, which I do over here in the UK.

Ive had a visit already last month & was well impressed with what I experienced. I had read some bad reports on Canberra saying it's a bit dull & lacks a bit of soul, but I found it a very pleasant place to live..lots of big open green space, clean, no bad traffic or congestion, 2 hours to the coast & 2 & a bit hours to Sydney...nice!

We're both in our early 30's & have enjoyed an active social life, but maybe it's time to settle down (slightly) & hopefully have some kids! & Canberra looks a lovely place to bring a family up..

Anyway, im busy preparing for the big move so any advice welcomed.

So far ive covered:

Container hire (got 3 quotes)

Pet movement (again 3 quotes, bloody expensive)

Applied for a NAB account

Flights

My visa is a E457 sponsor so my new employer is sorting

Anthing else major that I have omitted?:err:

Guest maggiecrofts

have you looked into LAFHA assistance. google it - if your employer supports it you can claim tax break on 457 visa

Guest tiddywiddy

Hi

Hopefully were going out on a 457, so please keep in touch & let us know what your employer has to say about the LAFHA allowance please? Are you planning on gaining PR at some point?

Hi Ben,

I have just read your thread & are delighted to hear abour Canberra. We have been granted a sponsered visa & like yourself heard poor reports about it. We have decided to go in October to have a look around ourselves before we took the plunge. Where did you stay ie Hotels, rented a place etc?

Hi Ben,

I have just read your thread & are delighted to hear abour Canberra. We have been granted a sponsered visa & like yourself heard poor reports about it. We have decided to go in October to have a look around ourselves before we took the plunge. Where did you stay ie Hotels, rented a place etc?

I stayed with my best friends brother who lives out there in Canberra so I dont know too much about the hotels etc.

Its a beautiful city, very green & not built up unlike Sydney or Melbourne..not that im knocking that, just depends what you want? Still got the benefits of a city though i.e retaurants, bars, shopping etc....loved it.

So you over there now?

I stayed with my best friends brother who lives out there in Canberra so I dont know too much about the hotels etc.

Its a beautiful city, very green & not built up unlike Sydney or Melbourne..not that im knocking that, just depends what you want? Still got the benefits of a city though i.e retaurants, bars, shopping etc....loved it.

So you over there now?

Hi Ben .. No we go over in Oct for a month , see how it goes ie job wise etc & then who knows? quite excited & nervous all at the same time as we have a 8 month old son now, we have done a lot of travelling before but never with a little one... oh well i guess you just have to try it . When are you going over?

Hi Ben .. No we go over in Oct for a month , see how it goes ie job wise etc & then who knows? quite excited & nervous all at the same time as we have a 8 month old son now, we have done a lot of travelling before but never with a little one... oh well i guess you just have to try it . When are you going over?

Oh sorry I thought you meant you had been. Im sure you will like it but like me you need to experience it yourself. Lovely place to bring up your child :)

We are going over end of July, it is quite scary leaving everything you know, but the quality of life looks much better out there...nice big blue skyline, no real traffic, laid back pace of life, and of course the big Ozzy sun!

Good luck!