firearms - yes or a big no!!

debbie13

Ok I bet nobody has had to ask this one before. My Husband owns two rifles and belongs to a rifle club, takes part in competitions etc, but will he be able to bring his beloved items to oz? Will he have to apply for new licence or leave them behind? If he has to leave them behind, can someone else break the news to him!!!!!:policeman:

Someone asked about this sort of thing over on the sister forum for Adelaide.

Some replies posted have links and info

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/transport-shipping/22754-importing-firearms-uk.html

From what I can work out, it may vary from state to state. But you really should read the official blurb and perhaps send a few emails to the departments in the Aus state you hope to move to and enquire exactly what is what.

Also you can do a google search and gets lots of info back. Also a firearms/guns type forum might be of more help for this sort of thing if its specifics and in depth info you are after.

Before the Port Arthur massacre it used to be fairly easy to own a rifle. From what I remember you just needed a letter from a farmer or two giving permission to shoot on their land. But I believe they tightened up the laws after that.

I believe it is different state by state. Queensland you can usually get away with more than you can in the other states.

It depends on the calibre and whether they are semi autos etc.

Try googling gun laws in the state you are planning on going too.

• 1 month later...
Guest Ph0en1x

I am a holder of a firearms licence in NSW, all states have different regulations but generally you will need to do the following.

1/ Obtain a Federal not state criminal ref check

2/ Complete a safety and competence course

3/ Show a reason to have a firearm, this would include being a member of a club or vermin eradication.

There are multiple classes for Licences for example rimfire, centrefire, shotgun etc. Before you are able to purchase any of these classes of weapon you have to complete a permit to aquire and send to the Firearm registry, once sent there is a 30 day cooling off period before you get the completed Permit to aquire back to complete your purchase.

Licences for hand guns are different and quite strict, if you fall into this catagory your best advice would be to visit your local gun club

Happy hunting :)