Regional NSW Living

jen16

Hi All,

I am wondering about regional living in NSW. We are hoping to apply for state sponsorship as short of points. My OH is a mine deputy so would have to live regionally anyway, we have been looking at jobs around Singleton, and hunter does anyone have any experience of living there? We have 2 kids (6&3) so would like to live somewhere with things for them to do, good community and as close as possible for a regional area to the coast.any info would be great

thanks pio:biggrin:

• 1 month later...

Hi we lived in killarney vale down on the central coast, our neighbors did the commute into Sydney on a daily basis.

Plenty of things to do and see, Beaches you are spoilt for choice, plenty of parks around for the kids also! :wubclub:

Hi All,

I am wondering about regional living in NSW. We are hoping to apply for state sponsorship as short of points. My OH is a mine deputy so would have to live regionally anyway, we have been looking at jobs around Singleton, and hunter does anyone have any experience of living there? We have 2 kids (6&3) so would like to live somewhere with things for them to do, good community and as close as possible for a regional area to the coast.any info would be great

thanks pio:biggrin:

G'day mate, Singleton and the Hunter Valley, coal mining communities with the added attraction of good wine estates!

http://www.singleton.nsw.gov.au/templates/singleton_splash_2.aspx?pageID=1065

http://www.winediva.com.au/regions/hunter-valley.asp

Cheers, Bobj.

• 1 month later...
Guest MarcandSarah

Hi Jen,

There is a small group of us moving out to the Singleton area in the next few months, our OH's have all got jobs with Hitachi so we're nearly there!

Are you still planning on moving to the area (if your not already there) because i know the other two couples i'm talking to on PIO all have little girls and we're all keen to meet new friends.

Sarah

• 1 year later...
Guest lookingforachange

Hi Jen

We are living in Maitland but thinking of Singleton due to work.We have a 3 yr old daughter so would be looking to meet new people , whats is it like living there? what are schools like and is it easy to make friends.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
hi lookingforachange

i'm heading for Maitland this October due to work. can you tell me how's it to live there. any info will be appreciated. thanks!

yerrik

I have moved about 5 mins drive from maitland- gillieston heights. We are enjoying it so far close enough with enough shops and things to do. We have picked here as I am driving to near singleton and still wanted to be near beaches and Newcastle CBD. Maitland is about 30 mins from coast. Any questions you can pm me and i will try help. there is a good expats page on facebook for the hunter area

• 2 months later...

Regional NSW is the best. We live even more rural than you are intending (Rylstone near Mudgee). Moved here from the UK at the end of 2007 (lots of mining around here too) and it was the best move we ever made. Rural life is not for everyone but it's the best place in the world to raise kids (although mine are all grown up now). I teach at a country primary school and hubby is a self employed builder. We have had work from day 1 and can honestly say that we have a far better life here than we would have had in the UK. Good luck!

• 3 years later...
Hi, long time since this thread.....just wondering if anyone can give any advice about living in Singleton. Thinking of moving over from WA, job offer on the cards.....
Hi Emily, I worked near Singleton for over a year. The town itself doesn't have much to it, it is mostly a base for people working in the nearby mines, workshops etc. There are a few towns closer by like Branxton (20 mins drive) again small town but very close to the famous Hunter Valley vineyards. You have Maitland (40 mins) this is where my wife and I were based for 2 years has bit more to it than the other two and a mix of older style shops/houses with the new builds in nearby areas. Charlestown has the main shopping area which is about 1 hour drive from Singleton. The beach is about 1hour 10 min from Singleton, I think most people live closer to the coast but it depends on what you are after in terms of lifestyle (commute from work, other work, schools, nightlife etc). Happy to answer all questions lived here for over 2 years and has some beautiful parts of the world with the Vineyards, Honeysuckle drive for the bars and restaurants, Nelson Bay and Lake Macqaurie also nearby for the weekends.

Gary

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks Gary for the reply.....

Looks like the move is going to go ahead!

we are a family of 6 (children 4, 6, 12 and 15) so just looking for a family friendly place!

any more advice greatly appreciated

Hi again, I am happy to help with any advice can get me on gpc_87@hotmail.co.uk I will see those messages quicker. I would perhaps recommend moving anywhere from East Maitland to Rutherford. These are about 10 mins apart and have plenty of areas more than suitable for a family. Areas such Ashtonfield, East Maitland, Gillieston Heights and Rutherford and Telarah as well. Although the latter is across the river and will add to the commute but the other areas will give an approx 45-60 minute commute depending on where in Singleton. There is large shopping centre in East Maitland/Ashtonfield with a Coles/Big W/Dan Murphys and plenty of banks, butchers etc. Rutherford has a smaller version of this. There are plenty of schools and sports clubs near with a massive swimming pool in Maitland Park. Any other queries please let me know if you even have a list of questions I will try and answer.