Best Canberra suburbs for couples without kids

dferri2000

Do you want a house or an apartment? How much money will you have????? Where will you be working?

If you are looking at apartments then the area around the Kingston foreshore is really nice but there are also some nice apartments in Barton and Kingston. However they are all quite $$

There are also some nice apartments in Civic - the ones closer to the Lake are probably better than the ones up Northborne Ave which seem to be largely inhabited by Asian students (the eyeball test).

If you want houses then Yarralumla is gorgeous and very $$$

In between there are townhouse complexes and it seems that there are townhouse complexes often built on the lakes - Greenway is one that springs to mind down in Tuggeranong and there is one on Lake Ginninderra as well.

If you are after a bit of buzz without being totally city centre (bear in mind that the city centre of Canberra is nothing like any other city centre you will have ever seen and you may not be averse to it) then the inner suburbs are really going to offer you more. Inner north or south is really up to you, just a matter of preference and finances.

we are a young enlgish couple without kids, 24 and 25, just married, we are living north side, so edge of gungahlin, its pricey but nice suburbs, yeah they are family oriented, but we dont mind, there are lots of familys etc, but that alsways mean good public transport.

google... Forde (postcode is 2914) thats where we are at the mo but bit pricey to stay, but then there is Bonner, Amaroo, Casey and Franklin, some nice houses and always developing, not far from airport, city or local shops. we are enjoying it so far

we are a young enlgish couple without kids, 24 and 25, just married, we are living north side, so edge of gungahlin, its pricey but nice suburbs, yeah they are family oriented, but we dont mind, there are lots of familys etc, but that alsways mean good public transport.

google... Forde (postcode is 2914) thats where we are at the mo but bit pricey to stay, but then there is Bonner, Amaroo, Casey and Franklin, some nice houses and always developing, not far from airport, city or local shops. we are enjoying it so far

Thanks Carla, I'll make sure I google that :biggrin:

• 4 years later...

Hi, just after reading this thread. Looking for any updates since original posts for a young couple (no kids) moving to Canberra - would you still recommend the same areas four years on?

Ideally be looking for nice area, not city centre but easily accessible, good community (social clubs?), good buzz/atmosphere/character locally with cafes/restaurants/bars etc., easy access to parks/outdoors.

No definite budget in mind at the moment, so just looking to figure out the best area and will figure it out from there.

Cheers,

Barry

Hi, just after reading this thread. Looking for any updates since original posts for a young couple (no kids) moving to Canberra - would you still recommend the same areas four years on?

Ideally be looking for nice area, not city centre but easily accessible, good community (social clubs?), good buzz/atmosphere/character locally with cafes/restaurants/bars etc., easy access to parks/outdoors.

No definite budget in mind at the moment, so just looking to figure out the best area and will figure it out from there.

Cheers,

Barry

I would still say the same as I did back then. Inner suburbs are going to have more character than out in the boondocks. The city centre/s aren't like city centres you've met before, they're more like big suburb centres. Personally I would head for Kingston, Manuka, Yarralumla, Acton if you want apartment living or Watson, Downer, Hackett, Ainslie if you want a house but I am prejudiced towards the Northside!

Edited by Quoll

The great thing about Canberra is that driving is so easy. Even if you end up in the outer suburbs, it's less than half an hour to get right into the centre of town (outside peak hour). Canberrans do complain about peak hour traffic but compared to traffic jams in Sydney or in any UK city, it hardly qualifies.

• 3 weeks later...
I would still say the same as I did back then. Inner suburbs are going to have more character than out in the boondocks. The city centre/s aren't like city centres you've met before, they're more like big suburb centres. Personally I would head for Kingston, Manuka, Yarralumla, Acton if you want apartment living or Watson, Downer, Hackett, Ainslie if you want a house but I am prejudiced towards the Northside!

I'd agree with all of this but would add in Braddon and Turner for good measure.

In my opinion I'm not sure if the higher house/rental prices are worth paying for living in these "trendy" areas. You can get a 4 bedroom house in a northern suburb for the same price as a 2 bedroom apartment in Kingston. Personally I don't see the value in it when most places only seem to be a 20 minute drive away.

Yup Braddon and Turner have become a bit more upmarket of late. In the olden days of the Northbourne Flats they were a bit dire. Lots of new stuff now of course. I think the lure of the inner suburbs for the non child type is more the swingingness of them - the outer suburbs can be drearily dull especially in the evenings whereas if you are trendily central it's only a short walk to all sorts of activities. That 20 minute drive after a nice night out can be a real pain in the bum. Quite like the lake views from Kingston too.

Yup Braddon and Turner have become a bit more upmarket of late. In the olden days of the Northbourne Flats they were a bit dire. Lots of new stuff now of course. I think the lure of the inner suburbs for the non child type is more the swingingness of them - the outer suburbs can be drearily dull especially in the evenings whereas if you are trendily central it's only a short walk to all sorts of activities. That 20 minute drive after a nice night out can be a real pain in the bum. Quite like the lake views from Kingston too.

Yes I'd agree with that, the outer suburbs are very quiet. Also for anyone that doesn't drive I should imagine it's a bit of an ordeal to commute to and from the 'burbs especially after a night out.

Cheers,

Barry

Hi Barry - just moved back to Canberra after a year away and Kingston Foreshore/Marina is definitely coming on in leaps and bounds (although there's still a lot of building work going on). Lots of bars/restaurants, lots of apartments overlooking the water, close to the bus depot markets and a really good buzz about the place.

As others have said, Manuka (good cafes & restaurants, close to the cricket and cinema) and Yarralumla (close to the lake, old and leafy) remain the good old favourites. Braddon is also starting to develop a bit of a bohemian feel. Can't really think of anywhere comparable on the south side although the Southland local shopping complex in Mawson is about to undergo extensive refurbishment so may be worth looking at in a year or two.