Finding a job

Guest jacobb8799

Guest jacobb8799

I'm looking for a little bit of advice,

I am coming to the end of my degree in the UK, Studying Geography and GIS (essentially posh mapping).

and in the search for related jobs all round the world, I had a search in Perth and saw theres five times more jobs in Perth than there is in the whole of the UK!

So the obvious choice is to go over there isnt it???

I know it's far from being that simple however, ive got friends that seem to believe i wont struggle to find a job, but i find it hard to believe a company would want a graduate fresh out of uni regardless of any skills shortage.

Part of me thinks to just throw caution to the wind and just go, and if it doesnt work out i get a nice holiday in OZ...

Hi Jacob,

You never know, I don't think companies would necessarily be adverse to hiring a graduate, i got work in Oz having only done 3 years of a 5 year degree!....

I went on a WHV in late 2007, [part of my reason for going was to get work experience as I'd taken a year out of studying for a degree in Architecture]

About a month before I flew out I sent out something like 50 CVs to architectural firms in Adelaide (where i wanted to go) and despite a flood of 'thanks, but no thanks' I managed to get 1 phone interview and line up 3 interviews for when I arrived. I was offered and accepted a job with one of the firms and started 2 weeks after I arrived in Oz! it was one of the best jobs I've ever had and i'm in the process of being sponsored by them to come back and work for them now that i've finished my degree.

I'd advise you apply to these jobs that you're finding... You could go on a WHV and give it a bash for 6 months / a year and if you love it and they like you then you can look at ways to make things a bit more permanent, if that's what you want?

It's certainly worth a go... nothing ventured, nothing gained eh!?

Caz :)