Is it the end of the dream?

GaryandGillDublin

So another day, another disappointment when we see there's still no news on WA SMP. Running out of time now..

Our agent has suggested seriously considering looking to another state but it's a big enough decision to make to leave your home and family to go to a state you've researched and feel 'right' about, dreamed about and then having to consider going elsewhere, where to be honest we feel just wouldn't be right for us.

We had our hearts set on WA, dreamed of the lifestyle we could have, dreamed of bringing up a family there and now even if WA SMP is released, even if our occupation is on it, timeline wise it seems we'll probably be up against the July 2011 deadline.

Is it worth leaving our home to go to a place we're not 100% about? We are happy enough in Ireland but since we came home after our WHV 5yrs ago we've always said we'd try get back and settle in Oz. It's our dream but is it worth all the hassle and upset to arrive and not be one bit happy because we're not where we really want to be i.e. Perth?

Fed up to say the least. :cry:

From my perspective, Europe is better than Australia, as you said you are happy enough, so no need to be clinging on WA. Anyhow, Good luck and be happy!

Aaaaaw, its so sad seeing someone feel this way:wubclub:

For me I would say thinking about a different state would be a "means to an end". Originally we were set on queensland, however they weren't offering sponsorship to hairdressers, so we seriously considered our options weighing up the risks of not being able to get that elusive visa, compared to trying out life in another state and came to the conclusion that it was not worth risking throwing the whole visa down the drain, so applied for SA SS and got it. We are going to give it a fair go there if we ever get there, but there are many posts here on PIO outlining the fact there is no legal obligation for you to remain in the state that sponsored you, it's just a moral obligation. If we find we really can't get on with our sponsoring state then we will move on to queensland. Just something for you to think about if you weren't aware of this.

Don't give up on your dream, there are ways around things if you dig deep enough to find them.:wubclub:

Sarah

Gill if the worse comes to the worse would you not have enough points with the new system being introduced in July 2011??

Your stuck between a rock and a hard place. You need the smp to be released because you need to apply to wa for sponsorship. It's not like us were just waiting for our name to be on the list then hopefully bobs our uncle!!

You can't give up at the beginning. Geez there have been plenty of times that I wanted to give up but if your heart is set on something then you must try and see it through! If you give up you maybe looking back 5-10 years down the line and thinking what a huge mistake you made.

Chin up. Xx

Guest dragsterwish
So another day, another disappointment when we see there's still no news on WA SMP. Running out of time now..

Our agent has suggested seriously considering looking to another state but it's a big enough decision to make to leave your home and family to go to a state you've researched and feel 'right' about, dreamed about and then having to consider going elsewhere, where to be honest we feel just wouldn't be right for us.

We had our hearts set on WA, dreamed of the lifestyle we could have, dreamed of bringing up a family there and now even if WA SMP is released, even if our occupation is on it, timeline wise it seems we'll probably be up against the July 2011 deadline.

Is it worth leaving our home to go to a place we're not 100% about? We are happy enough in Ireland but since we came home after our WHV 5yrs ago we've always said we'd try get back and settle in Oz. It's our dream but is it worth all the hassle and upset to arrive and not be one bit happy because we're not where we really want to be i.e. Perth?

Hi Gill, migration is a life-changing decision and it will be full of ups & downs. Don't let 1 setback wears you down & give up your dream.

Having visited WA a couple of times, i would say its wonderful. Having lived in Melbourne & Geelong, i would say Vic is equally beautiful! I would not mind staying in Vic if i have to. Just do a bit of research & you'll find other areas similarly wonderful too.

Plus, the SS binds you morally for 2 years only. You can always moved to WA after spending 2 years in Victoria if you don't like the latter.

Don't let this setback destroy your dream. Dream is what keeps us living, day after day. Where there's a dream, there's life.

Cheers!

I agree with the others Gill, thus whole visa process really puts us through big highs and very bigs lows ! I felt the same a few days ago. I am pretty sure that WA would give you a ss decision before July, if it meant you not being able to apply, it may be with emailing the london contact to get their help, it was Sue Harcus but I think there is a new one, someone on here will know the name, if not I can give you Sues email and she will forward it.

Sorry for waffle testing on my phone! Keep plugging away and the dream will happen.....

Guest VickyMel

I am hoping that even when the points system comes out they will continue to value the SMPs and maybe the two will run hand in hand with quotas for each type in a similar way to the SMPs & SOL list now. The only reason the SOL list is stopped is that the SMP is catching up time wise. There is a yearly quota for each type.

We also would have gone to any state that offered our occupation in order to get in. We intend to do our 2 years committment - then I imagine we will probably stay there as we hope to settle down a bit. But even if we hate that state for some reason it will be worth the 2 years for the Visa and a future.

One thing I have learnt on here is that with all the changes there continues to be options for most of us to try and leap through a different hoop (appauling as that is). We started at the top of the pile - priority 2 - then down to 5 then down to the bottom in 4 - now up to the top again. If you can stand the absolute furstration of that there is always hope. But at the same time I say hats off to those who decide enough is enough and they have a life to get one with.

Goodluck

Vickymel

:hug: Hang in there , theres a few of us new ones waiting for WA or if it comes to we will change state if hubbies trade is on another list .

Brides x

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Gary and Gill

Keep your chin up hun, you are nearly there, like others have said consider the other states, if it gets you through the door it's better than loosing your dream forever.

Hugs

Kate

Hi guys,

Totally understand your frustration, in same boat. As I see it we as a trade wont have enough point under the new system in 1st July. We also want to go to WA (lived there before, having work contacts and friends there so dont want to go elsewhere).

7 months left before new points system

6 months for WA SS, and waiting on SMP

So unless they start to process SS application at a faster rate, it cutting it very fine.

Not sure what to do now! My head hurts thinking about it all.

PM me anytime.

Good luck

cheers cazmayo

Hi

We are in the same situation. We wanted to go to Wa aswell. We have been there and still friends waiting.

With the new points test we haven't a chance to get the visa. So we decided to apply for the vic ss.

What is two years? It is nothing compared to a whole life.

I have done a lot of research and Melbourne isn't that bad at all!!! It's really great city! A lot to offer for work and leisure! I didn't expact this. Im very excited now and hopefully we can start our new life in Melbourne. We can still move if really want then.

So Head up! Don't give up! There is alway a way!

Sandy

Hi guys,

Totally understand your frustration, in same boat. As I see it we as a trade wont have enough point under the new system in 1st July. We also want to go to WA (lived there before, having work contacts and friends there so dont want to go elsewhere).

7 months left before new points system

6 months for WA SS, and waiting on SMP

So unless they start to process SS application at a faster rate, it cutting it very fine.

Not sure what to do now! My head hurts thinking about it all.

PM me anytime.

Good luck

cheers cazmayo

I feel bad coming on here because I realise there are so many others waiting waaaayyy longer than us to get their visa. But because we 'don't have a foot in the door' - so to speak as regards SS or visa submission, the options available to us seem so limited. I know we could apply elsewhere and maybe be lucky to get it but unfortunately I tend to let my heart lead me not me head and my heart is saying WA.

I have absolutely nothing against the other states but you know when you just get a feeling about something?

So in an ideal situation, I take it that WA need to release SMP - If we're on it, we apply for SS. They need to process that by let's say March, then they hopefully would say approved, then submit visa application and get approval for that by July 2011. This all seems like a long shot going by other PIO people's timelines and the amount of applications already in the hat waiting to be processed when the SMP is released...

Fancy a brandy??? :wideeyed:

No you dont have to have your visa approved by then, only submitted!!!

Your need to submit your visa application before the 1st July.

So say SMP comes out in the next week, you get your SS in straightaway it can take upto 6 months which takes you up to beginning of June, then you have approx 4 weeks to get your visa application in. (6 month processing times for ss is what Ive seen on timelines, but that could change for the better or worse).

We would be reluctant to go to another state as we have lived in Perth for a few years before and have work contacts, we would be strarting from scratch in another state which is more daunting.

We are also considering Employer Sponsorship. Already in talks with old work colleague so keep trying.

What occupation are you?

cheers cazmayo

If desperate - read the below link.

you gotta do what ya gotta do.... Other states are not that bad anyway.[ive backpacked in them all... and all have good points!!!) ... Youd regret waiting this much and then not trying other states as opposed to non at all,, even if it is only for 2 years... (or not --- see http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/99720-am-i-resticted-moving-state-176-a.html )

No you dont have to have your visa approved by then, only submitted!!!

Your need to submit your visa application before the 1st July.

So say SMP comes out in the next week, you get your SS in straightaway it can take upto 6 months which takes you up to beginning of June, then you have approx 4 weeks to get your visa application in. (6 month processing times for ss is what Ive seen on timelines, but that could change for the better or worse).

We would be reluctant to go to another state as we have lived in Perth for a few years before and have work contacts, we would be strarting from scratch in another state which is more daunting.

We are also considering Employer Sponsorship. Already in talks with old work colleague so keep trying.

What occupation are you?

cheers cazmayo

Sounds better but still fairly up against the clock with the processing times etc. :skeptical:

Applying under OH occupation of plumber... my 'skills' as a medical secretary don't come into play :jiggy:

(P.S. Would seriously be lost in all this without fellow PIO ers:wubclub:)

Is anyone doing IELTS just incase they bring them in to get ss , i only ask because i asked my agent this question this morn . The reply was

Dear Bridey

The IELTS won't be required for the visa, but some states have started asking for it before they will sponsor you.

WA hasn't given us their details yet, so we won't know until they go public.

Brides x

Is anyone doing IELTS just incase they bring them in to get ss , i only ask because i asked my agent the question this morn . The reply was

Dear Bridey

The IELTS won't be required for the visa, but some states have started asking for it before they will sponsor you.

WA hasn't given us their details yet, so we won't know until they go public.

Brides x

Hey,

We were advised to hold off on IELTS because at the time WA apparently were not requesting them for SS but who knows what's in store ...:confused:

:goofy:its barmy in it , hubby is going to do them they have some in london who still have places in Jan , he goes on deployment for 3 month from middle jan :arghh: so going to do them just incase

Brides x

Yeah you're probably better off. At least if you have them done and WA do require them you won't be in a panic especially if your hubby isn't around to do them.. All we can do is be prepared haha