Brisbane median house prices to overtake Perth.

newjez

Some say the mining boom will come back, let's hope so for Perths sake.
I can't see any reason in the short to medium term why this would happen. A boom in India maybe. But even then, there seems to be a lot of excess capacity. You could be waiting a long time for Perth to pick up.

Saying that, I put a quarter of my pension in commodities a year ago.

It's not boomtown, but things are OK.

But I would expect more growth from Brisbane. Specially with the games.

• 1 month later...

The last thing Perth requires is another 'boom'. We are still attempting the get over from the 'hangover' of the previous one. What Perth needs, is to get away from boom/bust cycles to something more sustainable.

Saying that we are a bit of a one trick pony though, with limited inspiration evident among our politicians and business elite into other avenues of endeavour.

All rather sad when so many possibilities could be considered.

The cost of living certainly needs to come down. Brisbane is welcome to higher house prices in my opinion. Perth could well do with a reality check and living within our reduced means.

Edited by Pura Vida
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Pura Vida said:

The last thing Perth requires is another 'boom'. We are still attempting the get over from the 'hangover' of the previous one. What Perth needs, is to get away from boom/bust cycles to something more sustainable.

Saying that we are a bit of a one trick pony though, with limited inspiration evident among our politicians and business elite into other avenues of endeavour.

All rather sad when so many possibilities could be considered.

The cost of living certainly needs to come down. Brisbane is welcome to higher house prices in my opinion. Perth could well do with a reality check and living within our reduced means.

I agree 100%. The boom created a false economy and a culture of greed and narcissism that it's still struggling to shake off!

I work in the mining industry but I am quite enjoying the more realistic and grounded WA now.

• Like 3

I watched a 3 year old TV show Boomtown about Perth/WA.  One couple had paid over 3 million bucks for a largish new townhouse in Subiaco I think it was then the wife wanted it totally re-done and they were prepared to pay nearly another million for that.  Just throwing money away.    

1 hour ago, Toots said:

I watched a 3 year old TV show Boomtown about Perth/WA.  One couple had paid over 3 million bucks for a largish new townhouse in Subiaco I think it was then the wife wanted it totally re-done and they were prepared to pay nearly another million for that.  Just throwing money away.    

A rather awful show highlighting excess and ostentatious behaviour in an overly positive light. The above example goes a way towards underlying some of the serious character flaws displayed all too overtly, by all too many during the recent so named 'boom'.

Guest The Pom Queen

I have to say, although I love Perth, I found things very expensive. Cafe menus was one where a steak was $45. Maybe it was just the places I looked at, but I don't do posh. Also the number of eateries you have over there, most of which were empty.

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/04/2017 at 3:11 PM, The Pom Queen said:

I have to say, although I love Perth, I found things very expensive. Cafe menus was one where a steak was $45. Maybe it was just the places I looked at, but I don't do posh. Also the number of eateries you have over there, most of which were empty.

You are right! It is extortionate in Perth even compared to Sydney dining out etc.,  they need to realise a lot of the big money earners have gone East for work. Not everyone in Perth earn lots of $ 

5 hours ago, Kathss56 said:

You are right! It is extortionate in Perth even compared to Sydney dining out etc.,  they need to realise a lot of the big money earners have gone East for work. Not everyone in Perth earn lots of $ 

I did think prices where becoming a bit more reasonable in restaurants, and they do provide jugs of water which helps cut costs.

On ‎12‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 7:40 AM, Toots said:

There was a lot of that. Too much lucre  but Not enough good sense around though. The boom/bust cycle appears to be part and parcel of The Wild West. Will we ever learn? Probably not.

Somehow fits with the poor quality soil in this city. Shaky foundations indeed.

On ‎13‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 10:11 PM, The Pom Queen said:

Neither does Perth for the most part. Posh here means either pretentious or/and high prices. I guess providing water is the height of cosmopolitan elan for some establishments.

Still an improvement from the days of providing a knife and fork, was seen as sophisticated  I suppose.

7 hours ago, newjez said:

I did think prices where becoming a bit more reasonable in restaurants, and they do provide jugs of water which helps cut costs.

A bit more reasonable? I eat out a bit and have yet to notice any real re adjustment in pricing. There are more 'deals' at lunch though. Prices still way over the top. Most staff, or a good portion of them are Back Packers. Hence service very hit and miss. I expect a number of the chiefs are on 457's.

Edited by Pura Vida
  • Like 1

Businesses will charge what people are prepared to pay I'm sure.

If no one ever bought the $45 steak and they all had to be thrown out then I'm sure the prices would get reduced wouldn't they ?

Eventually businesses won't survive if the customers won't buy from them.

1 hour ago, Pura Vida said:

Neither does Perth for the most part. Posh here means either pretentious or/and high prices. I guess providing water is the height of cosmopolitan elan for some establishments.

Still an improvement from the days of providing a knife and fork, was seen as sophisticated  I suppose.

A bit more reasonable? I eat out a bit and have yet to notice any real re adjustment in pricing. There are more 'deals' at lunch though. Prices still way over the top. Most staff, or a good portion of them are Back Packers. Hence service very hit and miss. I expect a number of the chiefs are on 457's.

Had quite a reasonable fish and chips at a dine in takeaway at Hillary's, $60 for four of us.

Kings park restaurant had a nice meal. Was a bit more expensive, $40 for two, but plenty of food.

East Perth had a lovely seafood spagetti for £21.

Obviously this wasn't silver service. But you can get a decent feed for a reasonable price. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, newjez said:

Had quite a reasonable fish and chips at a dine in takeaway at Hillary's, $60 for four of us.

Kings park restaurant had a nice meal. Was a bit more expensive, $40 for two, but plenty of food.

Obviously this wasn't silver service. But you can get a decent feed for a reasonable price. 

Fair enough. Cheap enough for dinning at night. Usually pay far more than that at two of the venues mentioned. Don't go to East Perth, so can't comment. 

Guest The Pom Queen
11 hours ago, Parley said:

Businesses will charge what people are prepared to pay I'm sure.

If no one ever bought the $45 steak and they all had to be thrown out then I'm sure the prices would get reduced wouldn't they ?

Eventually businesses won't survive if the customers won't buy from them.

You would think so but I suppose their costs are high as well. Maybe they bring the steak over from the East? I know lots of cafes on the East coast that have closed down due to the lack of trade, mainly because they flood the market and all open up in the same area, if you want to do that then you really have to do something that your competitors don't offer.

Guest The Pom Queen
9 hours ago, newjez said:

I think it was the price of steak that got me, most steaks here are around $25 - $30, one place even does steak for $10. 

On 5/3/2017 at 11:42 AM, newjez said:

Name and praise please.  Always keen to support good reasonably priced places.

I find most places outrageous.

A group of us had a very nice meal last week at Wharf on point (East Perth/Causeway - beside Ku de ta)).  It wasn't super cheap but quality of the meals was really good.  Nobody had a bad meal.  Mains were $25-$35.