Shipping company recommendations - UK>Sydney

HelloFrenchie

Our visa got approved yesterday - next step... we need to organise the actual move!

Which shipping company would you recommend? We are not shipping any vehicle (4 bicycles though, I KNOW) and a very limited amount of furniture. So mainly books, records, house decorations we really care about (framed prints, vases etc).

I got quotes from 1st Move and Anglo Pacific last year and they came to the same amount.

I also read about Pickfords (terrible trust pilot rating though) and Seven Seas, with the Move Cube being an option (esp if they offer a packing option?!).

What would you recommend?

We'd like to avoid the obvious issues so extra costs in addition to the initial quote, damages, issues at the border... Timings are less of an issue.

I am also getting a quote from Letton Percival in case and looking at using an excess baggage company for items we'd want to take with us straight away.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi and congratulations on the visa. After being on here a number of years I have heard good and bad things about most companies. The ones who have the best reputation are PSS and John Masons, get them out to do a quote. As you said don't go with the removal companies insurance. Letton Percival are a great choice and are a lot cheaper.

Also if you are looking at part container please note that we see time and time again that there are delays in delivery as they usually pack your items and then wait until someone else wants a part load before shipping. This can add up to a month sometimes more than the original estimate.

Hi and congratulations on the visa. After being on here a number of years I have heard good and bad things about most companies. The ones who have the best reputation are PSS and John Masons, get them out to do a quote. As you said don't go with the removal companies insurance. Letton Percival are a great choice and are a lot cheaper.

Also if you are looking at part container please note that we see time and time again that there are delays in delivery as they usually pack your items and then wait until someone else wants a part load before shipping. This can add up to a month sometimes more than the original estimate.

Thanks for the speedy reply! I didn't think about that, when I say we can wait we can wait 2 months but not 6; we won't fill up a container as we are not shipping that many things... Let me know if you can think of any alternative.

I will call Seven Seas ASAP to check if Movecube could be a good decision considering.

Guest The Pom Queen
Thanks for the speedy reply! I didn't think about that, when I say we can wait we can wait 2 months but not 6; we won't fill up a container as we are not shipping that many things... Let me know if you can think of any alternative.

I will call Seven Seas ASAP to check if Movecube could be a good decision considering.

I may be wrong as my memory is failing but I'm sure @snifter used movecube so she may be able to advise on this side.

I just read it all, it's a definite contender :)

Checking timings with more traditional shipping companies too (2.5 to 3 months with Movecube). Thanks again!

They come in about the same if its sole use container or a Movecube. Our cube was with us in 12 weeks door to door. If you go groupage (shared container) you could be waiting a lot longer.

We have used voovit.com twice now when we just wanted to send a few boxes as it works out much cheaper than excess baggage. You will need to plan and send ahead though if it is stuff that you want right from the start. We sent ours on 23rd June and received it on 25th Sept

We have used voovit.com twice now when we just wanted to send a few boxes as it works out much cheaper than excess baggage. You will need to plan and send ahead though if it is stuff that you want right from the start. We sent ours on 23rd June and received it on 25th Sept

Thanks, that's v helpful re excess luggage! I am starting to realise all shipping companies are roughly the same. Bad and good reviews!

We used PSS in September last year. Had a 20 foot shipping container to ourselves, with lots of furniture, bicycles and other gear. Cost was as estimated, although we had an additional $400 customs fee at this end that was a little unexpected (but was in their small print).

They packed and unpacked everything, and gave lots of useful advice regarding declaration of wooden items, things we shouldn't take (mostly wicker items and Christmas decorations that contained pine cones), and most important how clean things like bicycles, soles of shoes and sports gear needed to be in order to avoid the wrath of biosecurity (answer: exceedingly clean, as if new, and ideally smelling of disinfectant).

Nothing of note was broken in the move, and we did not get charged for cleaning any items by biosecurity.

We were able to track the boat(s) that our container was on, and we got our stuff pretty close to the original estimated date.

I'd use them again in a heartbeat.

Edited by richev

• 1 month later...

Does anyone has any opinions of Bournes by any chance?

I am looking at my options and it seems they have competitive prices and reasonable reviews (the only thing is, not many reviews are out there). PSS looks a bit of a safer bet but also more expensive.

Also, is 2400 GBP a "cheap" or just average price for shared container, 600 cu ft South London to Sydney?

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/9/2017 at 0:49 PM, cfsuarc said:

Does anyone has any opinions of Bournes by any chance?

I am looking at my options and it seems they have competitive prices and reasonable reviews (the only thing is, not many reviews are out there). PSS looks a bit of a safer bet but also more expensive.

Also, is 2400 GBP a "cheap" or just average price for shared container, 600 cu ft South London to Sydney?

Hi, 

Full disclosure - I work for Bournes BUT I hope this advice is still useful so I hope you don't mind me joining in the conversation :) 

One big thing to look for in terms of peace of mind in choosing a reputable company is FIDI FAIM certification. There is an article on our blog about why this is important (the long version) but in short this is the industry leading professional accreditation and we (plus all other FIDI members - including PSS) have to pass regular audits which check over 200 areas of our operation, in other words someone else has pre-vetted the moving company for you to check they are qualified to safely and smoothly undertake your international move having looked at all the common areas of risk. We had our most recent audit in February and were really pleased to pass as a 'top performer'. There is a list of all FIDI members on their website so this is a really good place to start when you're shortlisting. Another good badge to look for is BAR Overseas which provides an advance payment guarantee. 

Reviews wise we've been trying really hard to get more of our customers to leave us reviews so sorry you couldn't find many! Some good sites for removal company reviews (which you will find us on) are Which? Trusted Trader, Facebook and ReferenceLine. 

Hope that helps! 

Kirsty 

Guest The Pom Queen

PSS have always had great reviews on the forum with 98% of our members happy with them. They are also one of the forums partners.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/01/2017 at 3:29 AM, HelloFrenchie said:

Our visa got approved yesterday - next step... we need to organise the actual move!

Which shipping company would you recommend? We are not shipping any vehicle (4 bicycles though, I KNOW) and a very limited amount of furniture. So mainly books, records, house decorations we really care about (framed prints, vases etc).

I got quotes from 1st Move and Anglo Pacific last year and they came to the same amount.

I also read about Pickfords (terrible trust pilot rating though) and Seven Seas, with the Move Cube being an option (esp if they offer a packing option?!).

We'd like to avoid the obvious issues so extra costs in addition to the initial quote, damages, issues at the border... Timings are less of an issue.

I am also getting a quote from Letton Percival in case and looking at using an excess baggage company for items we'd want to take with us straight away.

Thanks a lot in advance!

OSS seems a good one. If you go on product review Australia they are all reviews from people from the uk as well as inside Australia, I use this website a lot 

Hope this helps

• 4 months later...
Guest Genord92

We have just done this - we used Legendary Removals - really helpful and are part of a worldwide network of shippers. The guys that came to pack up our stuff were brilliant and the experience was good - admin and pre-sales all good.