Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      As far as I can tell functional families only exist on the telly or in movies. Every family seems to have someone who they don't get on with or a relative who is a bit of a black sheep. Some degree of dysfunctionality seems to be the norm.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      5397 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by ScottieGirl View Post
      As far as I can tell functional families only exist on the telly or in movies. Every family seems to have someone who they don't get on with or a relative who is a bit of a black sheep. Some degree of dysfunctionality seems to be the norm.
      over the last three years I've seen my brother and sister more times than they have seen each other, and I'm 12000 miles away and they are ten miles apart.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      1841 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by newjez View Post
      I didn't mean to imply that the people were dysfunctional, but that the families were, in fact, I actually said that; and I do have mild dyslexia, but you have a pop anyway if it makes you feel better.
      haha newjez I think I must be mildly dyslexic too - I didn't spot the mistake and had to go back and look to find it. Besides, any mistakes on here aren't mistakes they are a result of predictive texting and therefore totally beyond our control...
      Fisher1

103 visa application lodged February 2013. 143 visa application submitted January 2016. Police checks and form 80 submitted February 29th 2016. Visa granted April 4th 2016.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      5397 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Fisher1 View Post
      haha newjez I think I must be mildly dyslexic too - I didn't spot the mistake and had to go back and look to find it. Besides, any mistakes on here aren't mistakes they are a result of predictive texting and therefore totally beyond our control...
      Can't claim predictive text I'm afraid - I was relying on my spell checker - and it didn't correct it. It even came up on my tablets suggested words, so I assumed it was an American spelling, as I knew it didn't look right. My problem is though, that even correctly spelt words don't look right if I examine them too closely.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      4521 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by newjez View Post
      I have met many people who have migrated who have no relationship with their parents. Haven't spoken with them for years. There has been a complete breakdown in their relationship for reasons they are usually unwilling to discuss. I would define that family as dysfunctional.

I fell out with my father about 4 years ago and I have no intention of having a relationship with him in the future. I do not consider my family is dysfunctional. Just because someone is related doesn't preclude you from having a disagreement.

Title
      Platinum Member
      Liked
      832 times
      Rep
      I wasn't particularly close to my family as in we could exist very happily for weeks on end without seeing each other but we were by no means dysfunctional, just pretty happy with our independent lives and happy to see each other when our paths crossed. I actually found that when we emigrated we felt 'obliged' to Skype every week, simply because we were so far away rather than keeping up the same contact we had in the uk, but distance and especially the time difference, for me, takes it's toll, sometimes at the end of my long day I'm feeling tired and just not in the mood to chat to someone whose just waking up!, my daughter has to be coerced and bribed at times to Skype her grand parents after a day of school and then a 2 hour swim club session, this is my reality but being so far away I feel more guilty than I would if I lived in the uk and hadn't seen them for a few weeks...

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      844 times
      Rep
      I had no family in the Uk.....me my Aussie husband and 3 children moved to Australia to be with his family, yet we still returned to the uk. We miss our Australian family very much and speak a lot but we prefer the U.K. By a mile. My husband had lived in the uk over 20 years when we went back to Australia so I guess he had just become too British. We went back to Australia for a visit last year after being back in the U.K. For 6 years.....if we didn't have family there we probably wouldn't visit again.

Title
      Liked
      4 times
      Rep
      I don't have any family at all and I think it's made it harder for me. I feel like I don't have a home any more as home was always where my parents were. I can't call them if I'm having a rough time and if something bad were to happen I don't know who I could rely on. Having to put a friend down as next of kin on forms always feels a bit sad

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Title
      Liked
      139 times
      Rep
      Completely agree. Most of my UK friends were not close to their family....lots fell out with close friends and family so missing them was one thing they didn't have to worry about! I wouldn't say dysfunctional though?

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      5397 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by northernbird View Post
      I fell out with my father about 4 years ago and I have no intention of having a relationship with him in the future. I do not consider my family is dysfunctional. Just because someone is related doesn't preclude you from having a disagreement.
      would you call a family where a child has no relationship with their father fully functioning then? If it's not fully functioning, then it is dysfunctional.

•  
    Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast