Argos in Australia?

AusImm Query

What is the Argos equivalent for people living in Melbourne? Where you can buy a range of household electronics and appliances at reasonable prices

Weve bought stuff for my daughter over the years, shopped at Harvey Norman, Target and Kmart. Depends what you want because Kmart and Target sell everything house so not such a big range of electricals. The prices there are low, not sure about the quality.

What is the Argos equivalent for people living in Melbourne? Where you can buy a range of household electronics and appliances at reasonable prices

First time I walked into Argos I thought wtf? Couldn't understand it. Nothing like it. Do you get the good guys in the East? Or try Kmart.

https://www.thegoodguys.com.au

Edited by newjez

Incidentally, you can also buy things online from Hong Kong, China, USA, UK without paying import tax on anything under A$1000. Crazy really and probably quite unfair to local retailers. But mostly for smaller electrical goods, clothes etc. Some UK stores actually have Australian targeted websites for ordering items.

Incidentally, you can also buy things online from Hong Kong, China, USA, UK without paying import tax on anything under A$1000. Crazy really and probably quite unfair to local retailers. But mostly for smaller electrical goods, clothes etc. Some UK stores actually have Australian targeted websites for ordering items.

Bought electrical stuff from Asian sites twice and both times have then had my credit card subjected to fraud.

Guest The Pom Queen

I think this may Be changing soon

[h=2]Online shopping — July (Australia-wide)[/h]If you enjoy online shopping from cheaper overseas sites, prepare for some disappointment.

Under new tax regulations coming into effect this year, overseas businesses with an annual turnover of $75,000 or more will be required under Australian law to register with the ATO to collect GST on all goods sold, including purchases under the current low-value threshold of $1000.

The change was designed to harmonise tax rules for Australian and foreign retailers after local stores blamed slow sales on their overseas competitors having an unfair price advantage on goods priced below $1000.

According to Treasury, the measure will see a bump of $300 million in GST revenue over the forward estimates period, not accounting for collection expenses.

Not sure how overseas companies could be forced to collect tax on behalf of a foreign government.
that looked to be Australian companies that make a business of getting stuff from overseas and thus avoiding the tax. But I guess you can buy directly from an overseas company. Strictly speaking though, don't they have to fill in a customs form and declare contents and value? I guess they could lie, but they run the risk of their post being stopped. I guess with x-ray machines it wouldn't be hard to know what is in the parcels.

I think the UK and USA try and tax everything. I expect some makes it through, but I know I have paid vat on some things I've bought overseas.

Edited by newjez