Tassie Talk

PommyPaul

Are you enjoying Tassie @PommyPaul?

I love it there....some day maybe I'll move there...

I am :) always been a green, mountain and cooler weather type person... but also with a slight (meaning big) phobia of rough sea crossings lol, which is why i never came here sooner :) seems weird having the heating on... during the day, in summer haha

I'm the same Paul. I like lots of hills, fast flowing rivers and cooler weather. I'm a country bumpkin at heart so was so happy to leave Sydney. Been here 2 years in February and still haven't been to Hobart. :shocked: Visited it when on holiday - really liked it - but not made it 'down south' yet. Plenty to keep us busy up here in Devonport and surrounds - never a dull moment. By the way you say you have your heater on - didn't find it at all cold today. Back and front doors and all windows open.

Edited by JockinTas

must say i loved it up your way as well, did a fair bit of camping around mole creek... and would shamelessly drive to devonport for a maccers breakfast lol, next time you're down this way have an explore of the tasman peninsula if you haven't already, some great sights there!

I thought you got off the ferry and drove down to Hobart that day. If I'd known you were in the area for longer you could have stayed with us!!!!

thanks! :) i did drive there at first and worked on a farm for a few weeks but things didn't work out and the job hunting was a bit slow so ended up very pennyless and sleeping in my car lol, got to see some great sights moving around but couldn't appreciate things as much as i wanted as was stressing about money all the time.

Well, I'm very glad you've found a job and a flat. Hope things continue to be good for you.

I notice a few young people sleeping in their cars/vans in car parks and lay-bys ..... all nationalities and with number plates from all over Australia. Many young Asians most of them doing fruit picking and farm work. A lot of them get accommodation on the farms. Not an easy life.

I thought you were doing newspaper deliveries Paul ?

that didn't last long, i didn't really have enough local knowledge to make it work, am working for woolworths now as a delivery driver, actually way surpassed my expectations and a really great company to work for!

@JockinTas seen quite a few myself as well, is bloody hard to get on the rental market here i reckon as well

Being a Tassie newbie (and since the tasmania section is quite quiet) i thought i'd try and kick start things a little :wubclub:

So how about some random chitter chat about our great island, things you've seen, places to go... just general life in tassie stuff?

Only 2 weeks till Hobart's annual week long party - aka "the Taste".

http://www.thetasteoftasmania.com.au/home-page-pre-launch/

They deck out Princes Wharf, Salamanca and Parliament House lawns with food and drink stalls, tables and seating all around, close the roads to traffic, and for 12 hours a day (11am to 11pm) you can eat and drink, catch up with mates, wander around the docks to look at the Sydney - Hobart yachts, watch the organised entertainment, then wander back and eat and drink some more!

In the "olden days" when my sister-in-law lived in Battery Point and we had free and convenient parking at her place, we'd go every day and I wouldn't cook for a week. :laugh: :wubclub:

• Like 1

So many lovely places in Tas. Could keep me busy for years! Hubby's family are in Ulverstone ( NW coast) so we might end up near there. Work is likely to be in Devonport or Launceston. Starting to be very tempted by Hobart though. Always seems to be something going on. Hubby would like to live in a beach shack on the east coast but not really a job for me out there. Still, great area to visit though. Never been to the Huon Valley but have heard good things!

I have a question. For all the Pommys that move to Tasmania, why would you do that as opposed to staying in the UK? The climate is similar; cloudy, coolish and moist for the most part. That is no different from the UK. Culturally, there is far less to do and experience in Tasmania. compared to the culturally rich UK. So what makes Tasmania different? Anywhere else in Oz I get, but not Taz. It just baffles me. If I had the choice between living in the UK and Tasmania, I'd choose the UK in a heartbeat simply because of the cultural history, much larger cities and easy access to the rest of Europe and Africa; just having more of a choice to do anything and everything vs. what Taz has to offer. Now please, don't take this as a slight against Taz. I plan on visiting this February as I've heard it's a great place. I'm just wondering what the mindset of UKers are when making this decision.

Edited by Canada2Australia

I understand the attraction to Tas. CHEAP houses, ability to buy land, less people, laid back, access to stunning scenery. It is also still significantly warmer than the UK (more on par with parts of France). Attracts those wanting an easier laid back relaxed life i.e. not the big city, rat race addicted types.

I understand the attraction to Tas. CHEAP houses, ability to buy land, less people, laid back, access to stunning scenery. It is also still significantly warmer than the UK (more on par with parts of France). Attracts those wanting an easier laid back relaxed life i.e. not the big city, rat race addicted types.

But can't you get most of if not all of that outside cities like London or Edinburgh? I would just find it so much more appealing to live in the UK vs. Tasmania. The UK just has so much more going for it than Tazzy, IMHO.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-tas-launceston-121140106#

Not the climate. Or the land. And not houses like the above - even in a provincial UK city - for anywhere close to that price.

Fair enough. But even with this, I still would choose the UK over Tasmania for the reasons I've stated. To me, it's just a sensible, logical choice.

I just see it as you guys having something special and great in the UK and many of us in North America envy with a great deal and would do anything to have at our fingertips. Money isn't everything in life.

I guess. As a Canadian, I've always been in awe with regards to a life in Europe; seeming very exotic to me. I guess I'm just baffled by some of the ice cold attitudes from those from the UK to their original home.

The realities of day to day living in a place - even the most seemingly "exotic" - can be very different from the view outside or the experience as a tourist. This is especially true for people on average incomes with families.

From my observation over many years, UK born people seem to settle better in Tassie than in other parts of Oz.

The climate is similar; cloudy, coolish and moist for the most part

Actually, Hobart is the second driest Australian capital after Adelaide. The weather varies tremendously within the state but, for the populated parts, the climate is most similar to the southern half of France.

The realities of day to day living in a place - even the most seemingly "exotic" - can be very different from the view outside or the experience as a tourist. This is especially true for people on average incomes with families.

From my observation over many years, UK born people seem to settle better in Tassie than in other parts of Oz.

Actually, Hobart is the second driest Australian capital after Adelaide. The weather varies tremendously within the state but, for the populated parts, the climate is most similar to the southern half of France.

I was actually looking into France (we have an office in Grenoble) as it is one of our up-and-coming offices and looking to expand it's services (plus I'm fully bilingual in French), but again, there is no demand for my specific trade there. Too bad as that would have been an experience of a lifetime.

I came to Australia for the summer this past year, and found out I have a real shot of immigration in this country (fell in love with it too) so I decided to go where the demand lies.