Adelaidians going back to UK

thinker78

So what is your point? Many countries suffer higher than average unemployment when their particular economy goes down. What has that fit to do with the people who live there? Ditto the alleged higher than average aging population, a commonwealth Govt issue so borne by all of us. Do you want people from SA to get a lower state pension?

why the pollyanna attitude, Sa is in serious trouble, yet people here are afraid to say so.................. I have to ask why ?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

are you taking Ice or drugs or something ? ah honey was in adelaide before you ever got there, I got my citizenship in 2004 , why do you seem to make things up and assume to underestand whats' said so inaccurately and so badly ?, I worked for southcorp wines, aka penfolds, aka treasury wine estates, aka the clowns who destroyed the boutique wine industry in SA in the early noughties. Ask anyone in SA, southcorp wines (the chairman who then went on to set Santos up for their current fail) are a clown outfit, their magill estate operation is a fraction of what it was and what it could be.

As regards the comment :

"a great place to raise a young family and the majority of those who leave to take their skills to the world when young often return to Adelaide when they have families of their own."

It's actually not, it's clique ridden, mono cultural, myopic and very limiting , I know plenty of families who have no intention to return to SA, us included, it's not that it a bad place per se, it's just the professional standard of people working there leaves alot to be desired.

as regards world class education, it's been commoditised, you pay, you get. I mentored UniSA masters students (paying 60K+ a year) and the only ones to make it were the overseas ones, the aussie locals failed.

Pity, but them's de facts!

place is in trouble honey, face up.

I get it, you failed in Adelaide. Perhaps for your future happiness you should look at yourself a little closer and see what you did wrong, rather than blame Adelaide for your shortcomings. Bitterness and blame will not help you in your career or future. Incidentally I have a very good friend that works for TWE - I will ask her if she remembers you! You seem to have worked in a lot of different industries and positions during your short time in Adelaide going from your previous posts...perhaps you need to ask yourself why that might be, and stop blaming outside factors for something you need to change in yourself? Perhaps it is YOUR professional standards that are not up to scratch?

Of course Adelaide isn't perfect - very few places are. I've never been to Perth but some people on here seem to detest the place for instance, and Sydney house prices are so high that people either have to mortgage themselves to the hilt or live a long way out; Melbourne has bad weather sometimes - the demise of manufacturing in Australia will affect Adelaide and Melbourne a lot I agree. But you mentioned yourself some of the projects that Adelaide has initiated in the past few years - a great new medical research institute; a new up-to-the-minute state-of the-art hospital (yes it may be the most expensive but with land prices fairly low here in SA, you'd have to say the costs are due to fantastic facilities being included, and a lot of work for builders/designers etc along the way); the brilliant Adelaide Oval; the long-overdue fixing of the one-directional Southern Expressway; Flinders University and Adelaide University have great worldwide reputations in many fields; we have the eyes of the world on us during the Tour Downunder, the Adelaide Fringe Festival, the International Guitar Festival...

I wonder, during your short stay here, how many times you went to the wineries for fun, to the fantastic beaches we have, to a Fringe comedy show, to any sports event, to watch a stage of the Tour, to an AFL match, to a free music concert at Elder Hall on a Friday lunchtime, to any of the other Festivals? I bet you hardly went at all - just sat at home with your family muttering about how the locals didn't like you, how they didn't recognise what a genius you are, how they didn't appreciate that you know how to do things so much better than they do! Oh and patronising anyone that dared to disagree with your bias by calling them 'honey'... Don't worry, sugar-cheeks, I'm sure you're much more appreciated where you are now!!

Edited by Diane

why the pollyanna attitude, Sa is in serious trouble, yet people here are afraid to say so.................. I have to ask why ?

Pollyanna? The attitude of most "New Chums!" The natural opposite is the "failed" Pom who goes home, and like the failed ex smoker who wants every other person who has successfully given up, to go back on the fags, wants every person who loves OZ to go back to Pommieland.

I get it, you failed in Adelaide. Perhaps for your future happiness you should look at yourself a little closer and see what you did wrong, rather than blame Adelaide for your shortcomings. Bitterness and blame will not help you in your career or future. Incidentally I have a very good friend that works for TWE - I will ask her if she remembers you! You seem to have worked in a lot of different industries and positions during your short time in Adelaide going from your previous posts...perhaps you need to ask yourself why that might be, and stop blaming outside factors for something you need to change in yourself? Perhaps it is YOUR professional standards that are not up to scratch?

Of course Adelaide isn't perfect - very few places are. I've never been to Perth but some people on here seem to detest the place for instance, and Sydney house prices are so high that people either have to mortgage themselves to the hilt or live a long way out; Melbourne has bad weather sometimes - the demise of manufacturing in Australia will affect Adelaide and Melbourne a lot I agree. But you mentioned yourself some of the projects that Adelaide has initiated in the past few years - a great new medical research institute; a new up-to-the-minute state-of the-art hospital (yes it may be the most expensive but with land prices fairly low here in SA, you'd have to say the costs are due to fantastic facilities being included, and a lot of work for builders/designers etc along the way); the brilliant Adelaide Oval; the long-overdue fixing of the one-directional Southern Expressway; Flinders University and Adelaide University have great worldwide reputations in many fields; we have the eyes of the world on us during the Tour Downunder, the Adelaide Fringe Festival, the International Guitar Festival...

I wonder, during your short stay here, how many times you went to the wineries for fun, to the fantastic beaches we have, to a Fringe comedy show, to any sports event, to watch a stage of the Tour, to an AFL match, to a free music concert at Elder Hall on a Friday lunchtime, to any of the other Festivals? I bet you hardly went at all - just sat at home with your family muttering about how the locals didn't like you, how they didn't recognise what a genius you are, how they didn't appreciate that you know how to do things so much better than they do! Oh and patronising anyone that dared to disagree with your bias by calling them 'honey'... Don't worry, sugar-cheeks, I'm sure you're much more appreciated where you are now!!

Short stay ? hmmmm , comprehension check.

Failure is good, we learn from it, I did everything I thought was right, except play the croynism game, and I won't change that. We are no longer in SA, this is a good outcome not only for me but for my three children. I'd like to inform you I have indeed learned my lesson as I am in no way as clever as the Locals. [sarcasm]

Been to the tour many times, Did two mutual tours (TdU) from 2009 to 10 ( you know what those are don't you? ), too badgey and too many adelaide fat blokes from santos in lycra corporate gear with 10K bikes so I rode the route another three times on my own with some mates from sydney (yeah, rode with a few inner west clubs in syd). You do indeed have the eye of the world on you during the TdU and they are asking what is the deal with the scrappy fencing around the disorganised city starts by Adelaide City Council (not my words, but the words of a friend of my fathers who's sons are Pro riders from the low countries, Lux Belg Holland etc ). SA needs to be more careful who it pisses off. :)

Went to the oval , invited to the members at the footy a few times, lack of spirit, lack of charm, no clever banter, and lack of vision is what I'd say about the fans there, just cliquism and in-jokes with the same people who knew each other 40 years ago, very tired and very sad. This crows and port , higher and lower socio-economic point scoring is neither healthy nor is it inclusive. It's just sad. Notice I refer not to the building.

Saw some clown parent from seaford kids footy club assault another parent at norwood at one of my boys games, class act, lovely stuff on a saturday afternoon.

Land Prices in SA are cheap for a reason.

Go SA, SA All the way!! (snigger, what a great chant!)

Pollyanna? The attitude of most "New Chums!" The natural opposite is the "failed" Pom who goes home, and like the failed ex smoker who wants every other person who has successfully given up, to go back on the fags, wants every person who loves OZ to go back to Pommieland.

I must confess, I have no idea what you are saying.

Failure is good, we learn from it, I did everything I thought was right, except play the croynism game, and I won't change that. We are no longer in SA, this is a good outcome not only for me but for my three children. I'd like to inform you I have indeed learned my lesson as I am in no way as clever as the Locals. [sarcasm]

Been to the tour many times, Did two mutual tours (TdU) from 2009 to 10 ( you know what those are don't you? ), too badgey and too many adelaide fat blokes from santos in lycra corporate gear with 10K bikes so I rode the route another three times on my own with some mates from sydney (yeah, rode with a few inner west clubs in syd). You do indeed have the eye of the world on you during the TdU and they are asking what is the deal with the scrappy fencing around the disorganised city starts by Adelaide City Council (not my words, but the words of a friend of my fathers who's sons are Pro riders from the low countries, Lux Belg Holland etc ). SA needs to be more careful who it pisses off. :)

Went to the oval , invited to the members at the footy a few times, lack of spirit, lack of charm, no clever banter, and lack of vision is what I'd say about the fans there, just cliquism and in-jokes with the same people who knew each other 40 years ago, very tired and very sad. This crows and port , higher and lower socio-economic point scoring is neither healthy nor is it inclusive. It's just sad. Notice I refer not to the building.

Saw some clown parent from seaford kids footy club assault another parent at norwood at one of my boys games, class act, lovely stuff on a saturday afternoon.

You carry on with your subjective opinion. You were invited to the Members at the footy and you did not like the atmosphere. What about everybody else? You saw a "footie dad" lose his temper and assault another. So what? It's not unique to SA. It happens here in NSW, probably in every state in Australia.

Reading your posts it sounds as if everybody in Adelaide was wrong, and you were right. Most people make friends. You made none. End of.

I must confess, I have no idea what you are saying.

[h=2]Full Definition of POLLYANNA[/h] : a person characterized by irrepressible optimism and a tendency to find good in everything.

You were the one who accused me of being a "Pollyana." What is the opposite of a "Pollyana" using the opposite of the definition above? "A person characterized by irrespressible pessimissm and a tendency to find bad in everything."

[h=1]Pollyanna[/h]

lg.php?bannerid=823&campaignid=4&zoneid=284&loc=1&referer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.spellchecker.net%2Fopposite-word-for%2Fpollyanna&cb=5d1f0939c0

[h=3]Antonyms for Pollyanna:[/h] complainer, sourpuss, nervous Nellie, misanthrope, growler, despairing, pessimist, worrier, doomsayer, pessimistic, naysayer, chicken little, curmudgeon, hopeless, crab, fusser, doomsdayer, cassandra, Griper, defeatist, whiner, Doomster, Murmurer, cynic, handwringer, Grouser, grump, bear, worrywart, mutterer, grouch, bellyacher, downbeat, grumbler, crosspatch, croaker, bearish

Ok so you didn't like Adelaide, get over it.

It always amazes me the vitriolic posts from posters who went somewhere in Oz, it didn't work out, didn't suit them or who cares what.

Go somewhere else be it back home or wherever and get on with your life.

Pollyanna

lg.php?bannerid=823&campaignid=4&zoneid=284&loc=1&referer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.spellchecker.net%2Fopposite-word-for%2Fpollyanna&cb=5d1f0939c0

Antonyms for Pollyanna:

complainer, sourpuss, nervous Nellie, misanthrope, growler, despairing, pessimist, worrier, doomsayer, pessimistic, naysayer, chicken little, curmudgeon, hopeless, crab, fusser, doomsdayer, cassandra, Griper, defeatist, whiner, Doomster, Murmurer, cynic, handwringer, Grouser, grump, bear, worrywart, mutterer, grouch, bellyacher, downbeat, grumbler, crosspatch, croaker, bearish

obviously not taken from the Adveriser website hen ?

You carry on with your subjective opinion. You were invited to the Members at the footy and you did not like the atmosphere. What about everybody else? You saw a "footie dad" lose his temper and assault another. So what? It's not unique to SA. It happens here in NSW, probably in every state in Australia.

Reading your posts it sounds as if everybody in Adelaide was wrong, and you were right. Most people make friends. You made none. End of.

not at all, some very nice people in adelaide, just in the minority, most are forgettable and very shallow, pity really, the place has potential, just not yet,

Thanks , you've been helpful

Sorry I didn't realise you were asking for help.

It's just I've been a member for a long time and seen post after post in the same vein and honestly don't know what it is meant to achieve.

Does it make the poster feel better?

Slightly off subject but I went to Africa a single white female in the 1960's to get the cabin staff up to speed, and you think Adelaide in the 2000's was tough? Perhaps made of sterner stuff in those days?

Met every obstacle possible, it was anything but easy, but I never became bitter about the experience and I lasted longer than than you.

No experience in life is a waste, be they good or bad.

I'm confident the day you left, the state moved one step closer to achieving it!

If you're back in the UK now, I suggest you get some sleep. I think you need it...

I can assure you , I'm feeling the love Di, I'm feeling the love....

I'm sure the state will go from strength to strength, be assured also, I'm watching with not much of a breath held .

Edited by deryans

not at all, some very nice people in adelaide, just in the minority, most are forgettable and very shallow, pity really, the place has potential, just not yet,

But what makes them all nasty and you nice? Don't you think it might be the other way around?

Why didn't you try somewhere else in OZ anyway?

• 2 weeks later...

We have just returned to Adelaide after nearly three years "back" in Blighty. It took ages for the wife to find a job and whilst she loved the place, work, people, the money was crap - GBP16K/yr where a similar job in Australia pays around $60K/yr. Money I was being paid in Australia and moving over disappeared way to fast and the exchange rate killed us. We were lucky Canterbury College accepted our kids as UK Residents an didn't apply the two year wait or pay as an international student rule that usually applies to anyone who has been outside of the EU for more than three years. But there was no other support for them.

We are happy to have had the opportunity to give the life a try and had circumstances permitted we would most probably still be there. The biggest lessons we learnt were:-

1. If you have been out of the EU defined area for more than three years you are screwed, your UK Passport and Birth Certificate counts for nothing; you have less rights than the European truckie that's running you off the road because he usually drives on the right and probably bought the licence anyway.

2. You see more of family when you holiday there, they all have their own lives and what with work, etc...

3. If you can do without it, don't take it... International Removalists think you have bottomless bank accounts and pockets.

We have just returned to Adelaide after nearly three years "back" in Blighty. It took ages for the wife to find a job and whilst she loved the place, work, people, the money was crap - GBP16K/yr where a similar job in Australia pays around $60K/yr. Money I was being paid in Australia and moving over disappeared way to fast and the exchange rate killed us. We were lucky Canterbury College accepted our kids as UK Residents an didn't apply the two year wait or pay as an international student rule that usually applies to anyone who has been outside of the EU for more than three years. But there was no other support for them.

We are happy to have had the opportunity to give the life a try and had circumstances permitted we would most probably still be there. The biggest lessons we learnt were:-

1. If you have been out of the EU defined area for more than three years you are screwed, your UK Passport and Birth Certificate counts for nothing; you have less rights than the European truckie that's running you off the road because he usually drives on the right and probably bought the licence anyway.

2. You see more of family when you holiday there, they all have their own lives and what with work, etc...

3. If you can do without it, don't take it... International Removalists think you have bottomless bank accounts and pockets.

I did not take it with me, both from OZ to the UK, and then UK to OZ, and now I've got one garage in Sydney and one loft in Southampton packed with "personal effects" a.k.a. "my treasures."

Interesting comment. How do you feel or know when you fit in? What exactly makes you feel like an outsider?

I'll be interested to see whether Rachael can answer that question, because I have exactly the same problem in Southampton - and I wish I could tell you why I feel that way. So far I've met only one couple I felt really at home with - and they'd come back to So'ton after working in Hong Kong and Greece for about 20 years.

I'll be interested to see whether Rachael can answer that question, because I have exactly the same problem in Southampton - and I wish I could tell you why I feel that way. So far I've met only one couple I felt really at home with - and they'd come back to So'ton after working in Hong Kong and Greece for about 20 years.

It's like emigrating each time you move countries even if you are going "home" and you are amongst your own kind, except they are not your own kind any more!

• 8 months later...
Be thankful for what you have in Australia. Don't move back to England unless you are 110% sure. I repeat 100% sure. The grass is not greener believe me.

I don't know if you've moved back to the UK or not by now, but if you have you'll know that even if the grass is greener it's because it's a damn sight wetter.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...