Moving back to the UK in February

MelbourneTractor

Hope all goes well back in the UK for the OP. I've just returned from 19 months in Nottingham and was forced back to Australia due to ill health. Can't wait to get back once I've sold my house here in Australia. Enjoy all that the East Midlands as to offer. Might be bias but it's one of the many areas of Britain thats so underrated . If you are a foxes fan enjoy the Champions league even in Nottingham you could feel the buzz coming from Leicester last year.

I think you are the first person I have ever seen to say this! I have a friend in Cov who despite his successful career would move in a heartbeat, a sister in Leicester (just outside)who wants to move to OZ and a good friend from Northampton who promises never to return! Personally when I've visited these places I haven't thought it so bad and I really like Warwick...

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you are the first person I have ever seen to say this! I have a friend in Cov who despite his successful career would move in a heartbeat, a sister in Leicester (just outside)who wants to move to OZ and a good friend from Northampton who promises never to return! Personally when I've visited these places I haven't thought it so bad and I really like Warwick...

This is how most of us feel when we are young and full of zest, we felt like that too. But being a foreign migrant in another country very far away from your family is nothing you can imagine until you give it a go, so you cant blame anyone for giving it a try. Many migrants return home, it just ain't for them.

In our case we had it good before we left, a loving family around us, true friends, great jobs, plenty of money to spend, good social life, great holidays on our doorstep and a good standard of living but we just wanted more despite having it all. Aus made our lives worse, we lost everything we once took for granted.

Many will go and many will return, its always been that way, but the younger you go the better chance you have. Don't go if you are middle aged/over 35.

its just like splitting up with a girlfriend and then noticing she had a cracking arse and then you start remembering the good times, not the times where you dreaded seeing her or where she was snoring or stealing the covers..

if you've been spouting on here for the last year or so complaining about oz, don't then come on and say, oh we had a lovely weekend in cairns. of course you did! I had a cracking weekend in rome before Christmas, its because I didn't have to go to work, do my commute or the rest of everyday life. the people that cant distinguish between a holiday and a working day really need to consider these fundamental differences or they will go completely crackers.

I miss the beach, sunshine, some Sydney pals and regular places id eat and drink but that's all in the past now and it was part of an adventure. it wasn't always great. im back now and am grateful I have family and pals here. the adventure feels like its stopped and ive had to adjust but I don't miss being so far away and things like being able to say goodbye to my nan who passed away last week and then support my dad means its all worth it. for the time being!

From someone who works in all those places REGULARLY ....not on holiday ...but real life .

In the main Coventry Is a shithole ....sorry

Northampton is not much better ....i saw police on horseback keeping order one new years eve ...massive influx of eastern Europeans ....still great shoes though

Nottingham and Leicester are a much better option .

Nottingham is probably my favourite midlands city .

Most urban areas in the u.k are ****ed up ....BUT ...outside of these large urban areas are some fantastic places to live ...with everything ....thousands of little towns and villages

I can leave Coventry and within 20 minutes be in quality surroundings ...same goes for all of the above ,even stoke on Trent ( which has improved )

From someone who works in all those places REGULARLY ....not on holiday ...but real life .

Northampton is not much better ....i saw police on horseback keeping order one new years eve ...massive influx of eastern Europeans ....still great shoes though

Most urban areas in the u.k are ****ed up ....BUT ...outside of these large urban areas are some fantastic places to live ...with everything ....thousands of little towns and villages

I can leave Coventry and within 20 minutes be in quality surroundings ...same goes for all of the above ,even stoke on Trent ( which has improved )

would agree with that. im further up north in Manchester, which is surrounded by small town dumps. however there are amazing pockets between it all away from the scumbags.

having said that, anywhere outside of the city/eastern subs/parts of northern beaches in Sydney were depressing sh1tholes too.

blue mountains full of weirdo drunks, northern beaches so painfully generic it had zero soul (like Adelaide) and worked down south in Wollongong for a year which was teeming with unemployment, drug addicts and undesirables.

nowhere is utopia, especially where large numbers of people gather!

Northampton is not much better ....i saw police on horseback keeping order one new years eve ...massive influx of eastern Europeans ....still great shoes though

I live in Northampton and you're right, it's a bit rubbish. I've lived here all my life. It has its nicer and rougher areas, like anywhere. Though going into the town centre is pretty dismal. Not how my grandparents would have described it back in the day though. There seems to be a lot of entitled youth.

It has lots of lovely surrounding villages, though, and is conveniently placed next to the M1 :)

its just like splitting up with a girlfriend and then noticing she had a cracking arse and then you start remembering the good times, not the times where you dreaded seeing her or where she was snoring or stealing the covers..

if you've been spouting on here for the last year or so complaining about oz, don't then come on and say, oh we had a lovely weekend in cairns. of course you did! I had a cracking weekend in rome before Christmas, its because I didn't have to go to work, do my commute or the rest of everyday life. the people that cant distinguish between a holiday and a working day really need to consider these fundamental differences or they will go completely crackers.

I miss the beach, sunshine, some Sydney pals and regular places id eat and drink but that's all in the past now and it was part of an adventure. it wasn't always great. im back now and am grateful I have family and pals here. the adventure feels like its stopped and ive had to adjust but I don't miss being so far away and things like being able to say goodbye to my nan who passed away last week and then support my dad means its all worth it. for the time being!

Bloody hell ...those last few paragraphs hit home .

Sometimes its bloody hard and lonely ,putting it on the line for parents in the u.k .

I was there for my dad ....and will be there for my mom at the end .

Your words give me some comfort

I live in Northampton and you're right, it's a bit rubbish. I've lived here all my life. It has its nicer and rougher areas, like anywhere. Though going into the town centre is pretty dismal. Not how my grandparents would have described it back in the day though. There seems to be a lot of entitled youth.

It has lots of lovely surrounding villages, though, and is conveniently placed next to the M1 :)

Some beautiful rural areas in Northants ...but Northampton itself ,they have ruined it .....except for the handmade English shoes and the saints

would agree with that. im further up north in Manchester, which is surrounded by small town dumps. however there are amazing pockets between it all away from the scumbags.

having said that, anywhere outside of the city/eastern subs/parts of northern beaches in Sydney were depressing sh1tholes too.

blue mountains full of weirdo drunks, northern beaches so painfully generic it had zero soul (like Adelaide) and worked down south in Wollongong for a year which was teeming with unemployment, drug addicts and undesirables.

I remember heading was to a job ...m1 ...a14 ...peterborough way ...i got into these rural areas and it was like going back to the u.k in the 60s ...a completely different life

Same as the u.s ...they only show you the veneer .

I took a coach from Boston to n.y ...some of the areas ,horrible .

There again coming from brum ,I found the Bronx quite familiar

it had zero soul (like Adelaide)

I thought Sydney was awful, a pretty low quality of life for most, and Adelaide was dull.

Perth was dull, but Adelaide really takes the biscuit.

I thought Sydney was awful, a pretty low quality of life for most, and Adelaide was dull.

Perth was dull, but Adelaide really takes the biscuit.

fully agree, I was there 7 years. when LAFHA was available I was in a modern apartment overlooking the harbour and it was mega. but anywhere outside the city or eastern suburbs, isn't anywhere youd choose to live. unless youre loaded, you wont live any place even near to your preconceptions. that's why its great for young, single people to rip into the eastern subs and enjoy a carefree lifestyle and party existence.. but maybe middle aged with children.. unless youre willing to move to northern beaches which I find soulless and generic, then I wouldn't recommend it.

never got to perth as people said it was dull so wasn't worth the trip. Adelaide is so dull. Its a big retirement village. Always struck me as somewhere people ended up that couldn't make it in syd/melb. sounds harsh but just my assumption. better for families I guess as cheaper and Henley beach is nice, but is it worth emigrating for?

Sometimes its bloody hard and lonely ,putting it on the line for parents in the u.k .

it means a great deal that they did provide you with comfort. seeing my dad in pain isn't very nice but its my duty to be here for him and take him for a pint/s tonight. being a dad doesn't look easy and he did his best, so to me that's more important than instagramming on bondi beach. ive done all that. don't be hard on yourself for being a good bloke and supporting your family.

jesus, I took that a bit deep didn't I! sorry all.

Ain't that the truth! This is one of the hardest gigs I've ever had. Tuesday is mum's funeral and we are here for dad - it's been over 5 years now. I'm expecting that he won't be long in following her and I see him becoming more and more frail by the day. He is rudderless after their 68 years of marriage and I think he would like nothing better than to just not wake up one day - in his chair, watching the snooker or golf by preference and it pains me to say it but I wish that for him too.

Bugger isn't it?!

it means a great deal that they did provide you with comfort. seeing my dad in pain isn't very nice but its my duty to be here for him and take him for a pint/s tonight. being a dad doesn't look easy and he did his best, so to me that's more important than instagramming on bondi beach. ive done all that. don't be hard on yourself for being a good bloke and supporting your family.

jesus, I took that a bit deep didn't I! sorry all.

No ,no many thanks .

It appears we are surrounded by me ,me,me ...selfishness and entitlement...

If I wasn't here ,and to a greater extent my wife,my mother would have nothing ....no support network ,no grand children nothing ...what sort of reward is that for giving your life to your family .

Putting your children 1st ,2nd and 3rd ...and then spending your last days on your own .

IT AINT RIGHT ....that's why I do what I do .

Ain't that the truth! This is one of the hardest gigs I've ever had. Tuesday is mum's funeral and we are here for dad - it's been over 5 years now. I'm expecting that he won't be long in following her and I see him becoming more and more frail by the day. He is rudderless after their 68 years of marriage and I think he would like nothing better than to just not wake up one day - in his chair, watching the snooker or golf by preference and it pains me to say it but I wish that for him too.

Bugger isn't it?!

It sure is quoll ...rather what we are doing ,than running away and sticking my fingers in your ears ....its what we call " man up " ...looking after elderly parents is not a lifestyle choice ,its an obligation ...like bringing up your children ,to the best of your ability .

I know exactly how you feel. We moved to oz in 2013 3 boys. Fell in love with oz but we really struggled with finances i thought it was really expensive and trying for hubby to get licences to work was a nightmare. Came back to uk in march 2016 for a holiday missed family had great time and was really upset to leave cried eyes out on plane. Returned to oz carried on struggling sometimes couldnt put food on table an thought yes its amazing but whats the point if you cant live the way you want to. So sold up moved back to uk been back 6 months and i just cant settle i miss oz so much. Hubby has good job here kids settled into new schools but i just cant shake the feeling we hve made a big mistake and should of stayed. So i know how you feel its really hard choice.

Bugger isn't it?!

I am sorry to hear about your Mum, Quoll.

I am sorry to hear about your Mum, Quoll.

Thanks NB! Funeral today and seeing their friends who rallied around to acknowledge her place in their lives was awesome. My olds have been blessed with their friends and it highlights for me how "friendless" in comparison I am - sad really! It's reinforced for me that being here for them both is priceless! Now just dad (and aunt and uncle!). I think I've been lined up to do the eulogy for my aunt when she goes!

. Returned to oz carried on struggling sometimes couldnt put food on table an thought yes its amazing but whats the point if you cant live the way you want to. So sold up moved back to uk been back 6 months and i just cant settle i miss oz so much. Hubby has good job here kids settled into new schools but i just cant shake the feeling we hve made a big mistake and should of stayed. So i know how you feel its really hard choice.

If the kids are settled that's worth everything. If you struggled before, you will struggle again. Its gotten right expensive down there.

One of the last times we went shopping in Perth, we paid the equivalent of £5 for a small packet of almost out of date fatty minced beef which you can get here in Aldi for £1.30 and its even better quality and more fresh too. They have very low quality food down there, bleeding expensive and compared to our huge modern supermarkets the choice is downright awful. Just a rip off, overpriced, over rated, overvalued place.

One of the reasons I love UK aside from the obvious family and friends is I have far more money in my hand, we eat good fresh reasonable priced food (massive choice of food too),we travel more, do more, go out more, and while we may not have sunny weather (we hated the burning suffocating dry heat anyway) we ourselves have a better standard of life here.

I would pick a place and stick with it. Best to settle down and try to avoid looking back at what you had. If you keep floating back and forth not knowing what you really want, you may end up getting stuck in the wrong place with an empty bank account.

If you are able to, put it the whole ozzie adventure behind you and focus on the future and the positives of what you have in your life.

The problems which drove you out before, will resurface in no time after the honeymoon period and they will drive you out again (if you still have any money left for another move).

Ping ponging is an expensive hobby !!