Is it worth bringing my car? The Iron Lady's trusty new calculator reveals all!

Iron Chef

logo-180.pngOk I've been having a tinker with this for a little while and think I've got it pretty close. I've developed an Excel spreadsheet that provides an estimate of whether or not your car is

Category A: definitely worth bringing, you'll do nicely out of it when the time comes to sell

Category B: only worth bringing if you love the car and/or plan to keep it for a while

Category C: not worth the aggro, you're better off selling it in the UK

*Disclaimers* - the estimates are based on the following:

1) using our most complete 'A Package' service at AUD990 (it's set up for our customers, obviously!)

2) using RORO shipping from Southampton (does not include transport to get your car to the port)

3) the current GBP/AUD exchange rate

4) an estimated Australian Customs value calculated for your specific vehicle

5) includes customs duty, GST and LCT where necessary

6) a set figure for customs clearance (which I've deliberately set higher than what they normally come in at)

7) includes the cost of Australian Customs valuation and transport to the workshop once cleared

8) includes allowance for the minor modifications needed before registration

9) includes road registration and stamp duty costs (for a "no surprises" all inclusive cost estimate)

As you can see, I've tried to be as upfront about the costs of getting the vehicle to Australia, and I have actually over-allowed on what many bills come in at. There are a heap of variables in here and each car is different, so don't be disheartened if you get a category C - the calculator isn't meant to be the ultimate authority, but it will give you a fair guide.

What I need from you:

- year of manufacture

- make, model & variant

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc)

- engine size & fuel type

- transmission

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)

- mileage

- any special features, options or modification

- does it have aircon

- realistic current UK market value

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)

- which Australian state/city

Please note when you are searching that most Vauxhall, Opel and some Chevrolet models will be badged as Holden in Australia.

Let's test it out :biggrin:

**Please note, our responses will normally be just an A, B or C. If you want a full breakdown of costs, you'll need to email us via our website***

Guest 1978porter
Ok I've been having a tinker with this for a little while and think I've got it pretty close. I've developed an Excel spreadsheet that provides an estimate of whether or not your car is

Category A: definitely worth bringing, you'll do nicely out of it when the time comes to sell

Category B: only worth bringing if you love the car and/or plan to keep it for a while

1) using my services at AUD990 (it's set up for my customers, obviously!)

2) using RORO shipping from Southampton (does not include transport to get your car to the port)

4) a customs value at 75% of the normal market value

5) includes customs duty and GST

5) a set figure for dock charges (which I've deliberately set higher than what they normally come in at)

6) includes the cost of a valuation and transport to the workshop once cleared

7) includes $1000 for minor modifications needed for registration

8) does NOT include registration costs (because you pay that on all cars, whether they're imported or bought here in Australia)

As you can see, I've tried to be as upfront about the costs of getting the vehicle to Australia, and I have actually over-allowed on what many bills come in at. There are a heap of variables in here and each car is different, so don't be disheartened if you get a category C - the calculator isn't meant to be the ultimate authority, but it will give you a fair guide.

What I need from you:

1) Year/make/model/mileage/aircon or no aircon

2) Market value in the UK (be realistic!)

3) Market value in Australia (search via www.redbook.com.au and make sure you click right through to the description to get the correct price ranges - if you don't chances are you're looking at the price it was sold at when it was new)

Hi iron chef, I'm hoping you can help, we have been Melbourne for 4 weeks now and our car is sitting on my brothers driveway in the south of England waiting for us to start the painful procedure of getting over here. The details are: BMW x5 3.0d sports, 70,000 miles on the clock, with air con. Valuation in England was £12,000, valuation on redbook.com.au is $32,000. Hope you are able to help, kind regards, john

Hi iron chef, I'm hoping you can help, we have been Melbourne for 4 weeks now and our car is sitting on my brothers driveway in the south of England waiting for us to start the painful procedure of getting over here. The details are: BMW x5 3.0d sports, 70,000 miles on the clock, with air con. Valuation in England was £12,000, valuation on redbook.com.au is $32,000. Hope you are able to help, kind regards, john

Category A :)

If you need my help, give me a yell.

Ok I've been having a tinker with this for a little while and think I've got it pretty close. I've developed an Excel spreadsheet that provides an estimate of whether or not your car is

5) a set figure for dock charges (which I've deliberately set higher than what they normally come in at)

8) does NOT include registration costs (because you pay that on all cars, whether they're imported or bought here in Australia)

What I need from you:

3) Market value in Australia (search via www.redbook.com.au and make sure you click right through to the description to get the correct price ranges - if you don't chances are you're looking at the price it was sold at when it was new)

1) 2009 / Fiat 500 1.2 POP / 4000 miles / no aircon

2) £6000 to £6500

3) $11,400 - $13,200

Guest marra2000

What I need from you:

Hi.

Mazda 6 2005 Diesel , aircon , 57k miles £3700 ( realistic ) Oz $17k ( $15k for lower and higher miles ) .... Have you a D cat :laugh:

What I need from you:

Hi,

I also have my own calculator, something I put together as I was gathering info about taxes and other things. Does yours take into account of Luxury car tax? Anyway, these are my car details. Just out of interest, your service 990AUD - what is this all about?

2006/Mercedes/C180/40K/aircon

UK Market value - £7K

Aus Market Value - $19K

thx

Hello mate ,

cant find the equivilant in os , well spec wise anyway .

Transit sport van , midnight blue ( 2010 ) 10K miles , aircon , leather ,blue tooth ,cruise control etc etc , all the options except the sat nav ( doubt the heated seats will be of use )

UK 13K value , standard SWB van in oz around 30-£35k ( however it still owes me and would need to settle finance first)

i mentioned it on your other thread but i think it'll be the only transit sport van in Oz , made for european market only ( possibly UK only ) they made 400 in 2010 all midnight blue ( the colour denotes year , 2011 was red , 2012 silver etc )

last question , could i load the back up with my stuff or does the " vehicle" have to be shipped empty ???

lee

Hi, we are having the discussion now about whether it is worth bringing our car over. It is a Volvo XC90, petrol 80,000 miles on the clock, with air con, worth around £9,000 in the UK and between £16,900 and £19,500 in Aus. Any help would be much appreciated.

Guest sun lovers

Hi Iron chef we have a 2007 range Rover sport, 2.7d, with air con 60,000 miles. worth approx £20,000. In the red book it said for the same model $87,900. are you able to help us with the cost we would incur to import. We might look to sell when we are in oz is it harder to sell imports.

:biggrin:

hi iron chef

curious

fiat ducato 100 multijet panel van (possibly backpacker style campervan conversion)

72000 miles

4000 ish sterling

19000-21000 aussie arrantly

thanks for your time

s

A fiat costs same as a Mercedes done only half the mileage and similar age...there's something wrong with the site :)

Guest liverpoolollie

hi iron chef.

great service you provide on here.

just a quick one mate .

we have a 2011 s max which we love ,we have had it for a year.would parts be readily available in w.a ,and also garages that work on fords of that type.

kind regards

liverpoolollie

Hi,

I also have my own calculator, something I put together as I was gathering info about taxes and other things. Does yours take into account of Luxury car tax? Anyway, these are my car details. Just out of interest, your service 990AUD - what is this all about?

2006/Mercedes/C180/40K/aircon

UK Market value - £7K

Aus Market Value - $19K

thx

Mine doesn't include LCT, only because I've yet to price up one that has come in over the threshold :) My broker's fee is what I normally charge my customers importing through Iron Lady (see the link in my sig) - I've factored this into the costings, so people just need to remove that amount if they're planning to do it themselves.

Yours is a Category B according to my calculator, it would be an A if you're doing everything yourself.

Hello mate ,

cant find the equivilant in os , well spec wise anyway .

Transit sport van , midnight blue ( 2010 ) 10K miles , aircon , leather ,blue tooth ,cruise control etc etc , all the options except the sat nav ( doubt the heated seats will be of use )

UK 13K value , standard SWB van in oz around 30-£35k ( however it still owes me and would need to settle finance first)

i mentioned it on your other thread but i think it'll be the only transit sport van in Oz , made for european market only ( possibly UK only ) they made 400 in 2010 all midnight blue ( the colour denotes year , 2011 was red , 2012 silver etc )

last question , could i load the back up with my stuff or does the " vehicle" have to be shipped empty ???

lee

Even at AUD30,000 market value, you'd be a Category B, any more than that, Category A. Deserves to be brought here for the coolness factor alone ;)

as Iron Chef's pricing is based on shipping ro/ro you cannot load your stuff in the back. And it would get nicked anyway.

^^What he said!!

hi iron chef

curious

fiat ducato 100 multijet panel van (possibly backpacker style campervan conversion)

72000 miles

4000 ish sterling

19000-21000 aussie arrantly

thanks for your time

s

Category A, no problems. Definitely worth doing the camper conversion before you leave. Man you guys get slammed on depreciation of work vans!

Hi, we are having the discussion now about whether it is worth bringing our car over. It is a Volvo XC90, petrol 80,000 miles on the clock, with air con, worth around £9,000 in the UK and between £16,900 and £19,500 in Aus. Any help would be much appreciated.

You haven't given me a year so I can't check values, but assuming you mean the Aussie value is between GBP16,900-19,500, not AUD16,900-19500, then it's a Category A. (Just make sure you give me the Aussie market value in AUD, everyone else reading!)

Hi Iron chef we have a 2007 range Rover sport, 2.7d, with air con 60,000 miles. worth approx £20,000. In the red book it said for the same model $87,900. are you able to help us with the cost we would incur to import. We might look to sell when we are in oz is it harder to sell imports.

:biggrin:

Make sure you click on the description - $87,900 was their retail price when they were new! Even still, it's a Category A by a country mile.

Hi we have an Audi A6 3L quattro le mans, 70,000 miles, worth £12,500 in UK , book price in Aus $47k.

Thanks,

Shelley.

I'm presuming that's a late model...Category A, again by a mile.

A fiat costs same as a Mercedes done only half the mileage and similar age...there's something wrong with the site :)

More there's something wrong with Australian resale prices - they retail new for about the same money, too. The C180's resale isn't as good as other Benzes here because everyone wants the bigger engines.

hi iron chef.

great service you provide on here.

just a quick one mate .

we have a 2011 s max which we love ,we have had it for a year.would parts be readily available in w.a ,and also garages that work on fords of that type.

kind regards

liverpoolollie

Bear in mind the S-Max isn't sold here, but working purely from memory, it's based on the Mondeo in terms of engines and everything else, yeah? If so, your friendly Ford dealer shouldn't have too many troubles getting parts.

2005 BMW 320i SE Z3S7 4DR, 115,000 Kms, Aircon, Price in Ireland €9000 price in Oz $24,000 est

Euros? You're making me work, you guys! Ok, Category A, even after factoring in an extra EUR500 to get it over to Southampton.

hi iron chef

2009(59plate) kia carens/ 28k with aircon

worth about 10k in uk

3) they dont appear to make carens in oz anymore, the latest year i can see is 2002 and the value is about $25k, so dont know how to work out oz value

Your Kia Carens is our Kia Rondo :) Either way my gut feeling was right - category C.