Is it worth bringing my car? The Iron Lady's trusty new calculator reveals all!

Iron Chef

Hi Iron Chef.. just wondering what your thoughts are on whether or not I should ship my car. I have a Hyundai i10, '12 reg with 19K miles and air con. To date I have been in contact with one other removal/shipping firm and have an appointment arranged in a couple of weeks time to find out more about costs of shipping my small car in a container with household items (at the moment am not sure what we will do). Before I arranged this I received a quote of £2.2K to ship it on it's own, and believe I would be looking at import duties of approx £600-700.

I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts and what ironladyimports could offer?

Many thanks

Hi Iron Chef.. just wondering what your thoughts are on whether or not I should ship my car. I have a Hyundai i10, '12 reg with 19K miles and air con. To date I have been in contact with one other removal/shipping firm and have an appointment arranged in a couple of weeks time to find out more about costs of shipping my small car in a container with household items (at the moment am not sure what we will do). Before I arranged this I received a quote of £2.2K to ship it on it's own, and believe I would be looking at import duties of approx £600-700.

I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts and what ironladyimports could offer?

Many thanks

That price sounds around about the right money for your shipping quote (without including costs for registration). If you're going to ship it, put it in your container with your household goods as it's pretty small and will give you plenty of additional space to pack other stuff if you need it. The problem you have is that the i10 isn't sold in Australia, so it's going to hold little appeal to anyone here when the time comes to sell.

That price sounds around about the right money for your shipping quote (without including costs for registration). If you're going to ship it, put it in your container with your household goods as it's pretty small and will give you plenty of additional space to pack other stuff if you need it. The problem you have is that the i10 isn't sold in Australia, so it's going to hold little appeal to anyone here when the time comes to sell.

Thanks for your prompt reply.. I hadn't looked into resale in Australia so wasn't yet aware the i10 isn't out there.. maybe I'd be better off selling here and buying a car over there instead as wouldn't want to get stuck with it!

• 1 month later...

Hi Iron Chef, a while ago you recommended my car would fall into a cat B. Please could you revalue on the basis it might of changed with the UK - AUD exchange rate.

I go to Australia in 4 weeks.

2007 BMW X5 3.0se Diesel - UK Value £12000 - Aussie Value £28000

Shipping costs of £1000 extra to go into a container with household

It has a few extras like

20"wheel package

Moon Roof

Napa leather

Bluetooth prep

Professional sat nav

Sports suspension

Sports seats - heated

Wood trim - Dark Bamboo grain

ipod dock

Running boards

Thanks in advance

Jeff

I'm sure it's not worth shipping my car, but my curiosity is getting the better of me, so I have to ask.

Would it be worth shipping a Ford Focus hatchback 1.6 Zetec 2009, automatic, only 40,000 miles on the clock.

I would leave it behind, being a 1.6, most Focuses (Focii?) here are 2.0 litre, so I suspect it might be hard sell when the time comes. Better off having a look around at other examples here already. If it's a diesel, then it might be worth considering if you planned to keep it for a while.

Hi Iron Chef, a while ago you recommended my car would fall into a cat B. Please could you revalue on the basis it might of changed with the UK - AUD exchange rate.

I go to Australia in 4 weeks.

2007 BMW X5 3.0se Diesel - UK Value £12000 - Aussie Value £28000

Shipping costs of £1000 extra to go into a container with household

It has a few extras like

20"wheel package

Moon Roof

Napa leather

Bluetooth prep

Professional sat nav

Sports suspension

Sports seats - heated

Wood trim - Dark Bamboo grain

ipod dock

Running boards

Thanks in advance

Jeff

The exchange rate would help you in this instance - man the Brexit could end up being a windfall for Iron Lady! Still worth bringing over, particularly with those options, and especially if you plan on using it for a while.

Hello

Looking at options and wondering about bringing my car with me.

MK5 VW Golf GTi Edition 30

VW Golf GTi Edition 30 - think it is a called a Pirelli edition in Aus - same engine.

Hatchback

2L Petrol 230ps/226bhp/169kw/300nm

Manual

FWD

66k miles

Aftermarket exhaust

yes to aircon

GBP11k

Melbourne

Private Price Guide $14.6k - $16.7K

Many thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

wondering whether to ship my car over from the UK or not...

Seat Ibiza Cupra

Hatchback

1.4 TSI Petrol 180BHP

Automatic

FWD

45k Miles

Yes to Aircon

GBP £8,500

Sydney

Private Price Guide $16k (Based on VW Polo with same engine - lack of Seat's in Aus!

Thanks!

Hi, I wonder if you can help me, we are wondering whether to bring our car, apologies if I haven't got all the details right, DH is on nights so can't ask him!

Toyota Land Cruiser Amazon 100 series

SUV

4164cc

]Diesel

]Automatic

]4wd

About 100,003

aircon

£6,500

]I'm a bit rubbish at this, and they all have higher miles, but I think $17,000?

It's in great condition with FSH if that's relevant (and we love it)

We are going to rural NSW

many thanks for this!

Edited by Cocohoney

Hi, I wonder if you can help me, we are wondering whether to bring our car, apologies if I haven't got all the details right, DH is on nights so can't ask him!

SUV

4164cc

]Diesel

]Automatic

]4wd

About 100,003

aircon

£6,500

]I'm a bit rubbish at this, and they all have higher miles, but I think $17,000?

many thanks for this!

I think you need to look at earlier posts on this thread, but it's really about how much it will cost in import duties, inspection dues by Customs, total engine and chassis cleaning costs, transport costs and any alterations like speedo change and anything else that the Australians can dream up, then there is the difficulty of resale of an overseas vehicle in Aus which is 18 years old and being a 4L will put Aussies off

There is also how much use has the air con had, it will get a lot of use in Aus.

I would bite the bullet and sell here rather than all the hassle of importing it with the attendant uncertainty of getting it thro Aus inspections.

Edited by BacktoDemocracy

I think you need to look at earlier posts on this thread, but it's really about how much it will cost in import duties, inspection dues by Customs, total engine and chassis cleaning costs, transport costs and any alterations like speedo change and anything else that the Australians can dream up, then there is the difficulty of resale of an overseas vehicle in Aus which is 18 years old and being a 4L will put Aussies off

There is also how much use has the air con had, it will get a lot of use in Aus.

I would bite the bullet and sell here rather than all the hassle of importing it with the attendant uncertainty of getting it thro Aus inspections.

Thanks, I did read through the thread but not being a car person I was interested in what someone who knew what they were talking about would say :)

I understand it is all about those costs you listed, I just found it hard to work those out <dunce> and Iron Chef seemed very helpful in doing that here. Also, we weren't worried about resale costs, we had planned to keep it. Seems like a lot to spend on an old car though, however reliable it is!

I have found an on line calculator provided by one shipping company, they also state that a value of £6,000 is pretty much the cut off to it being financially worthwhile. It's not always all about the finances though is it?!

I also read that it might be much more to insure an import

anyway, thanks for your reply, I think we have decided to sell here :(

Thanks, I did read through the thread but not being a car person I was interested in what someone who knew what they were talking about would say :)

I understand it is all about those costs you listed, I just found it hard to work those out <dunce> and Iron Chef seemed very helpful in doing that here. Also, we weren't worried about resale costs, we had planned to keep it. Seems like a lot to spend on an old car though, however reliable it is!

I have found an on line calculator provided by one shipping company, they also state that a value of £6,000 is pretty much the cut off to it being financially worthwhile. It's not always all about the finances though is it?!

I also read that it might be much more to insure an import

anyway, thanks for your reply, I think we have decided to sell here :(

I sold a 3L Prado Grande auto diesel which was 10 yrs old, 135000klm, for 23K dollars, 2.5 yrs ago

Edited by BacktoDemocracy

Hi everyone, my apologies I have been away on holiday, and now also organising charity events (not that you probably wanted to know THAT much info, but even still!)

Unzippy, at those numbers I'd sell it in the UK if you can get that kind of money for it.

Hello

Looking at options and wondering about bringing my car with me.

MK5 VW Golf GTi Edition 30

VW Golf GTi Edition 30 - think it is a called a Pirelli edition in Aus - same engine.

Hatchback

2L Petrol 230ps/226bhp/169kw/300nm

Manual

FWD

66k miles

Aftermarket exhaust

yes to aircon

GBP11k

Melbourne

Private Price Guide $14.6k - $16.7K

Many thanks!

Hi we have a Mercedes ML 280 cdi sport 4x4 2006 plate with 80000 on the clock valued in UK between 9 - 10k - is it worth us shipping it to Brisbane?

It's fairly close - worth bringing if you want to use it for a bit longer and are happy with it. Relatively low mileage helps its case.

SUV

4164cc

]Diesel

]Automatic

]4wd

About 100,003

aircon

£6,500

many thanks for this!

I'm going to respectfully disagree with BacktoDemocracy and say it's definitely worth bringing if you want to keep it for a while. Any 100-series diesel holds its value well in Australia, and as you will have discovered, many for sale here have 300,000km+ on the odometer.

If you love it, sure, it won't be an issue getting it serviced here, but SEAT is no longer sold in Australia, so I doubt it will hold much appeal when the time comes to sell (unless there is a hardcore underground SEAT group that I don't know about!). My suggestion, sell it there and buy a Polo GTi here.

Hi,

wondering whether to ship my car over from the UK or not...

Seat Ibiza Cupra

Hatchback

1.4 TSI Petrol 180BHP

Automatic

FWD

45k Miles

Yes to Aircon

GBP £8,500

Sydney

Private Price Guide $16k (Based on VW Polo with same engine - lack of Seat's in Aus!

Thanks!

Hi Iron lady, hope you can assist...having troube finding 2004 diesel models in red book....

Audi A4 Avant estate

1.9 Tdi Diesal

- manual

- front wheel drive

- 100'000 miles

- Bose music system

- aircon - yes

- UK Price - £2810

[TABLE=class: prop-list]

[TR=class: item]

[TD=class: label]*Private Price Guide[/TD]

[TD=class: value]$8,300 - $10,300 (based on a 2005 2.0 as I cannot seem to find a 1.9Tdi on red book,,,,[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Cannot seem to find many diesel models, none on sale!

Victoria (Frankston).

At that money, only bring it if you like it and want to keep it for a while. We definitely never got the manual diesel estate here, neat combo. The engine was sold here in the Golf so servicing won't be an issue.

Hi Iron lady, hope you can assist...having troube finding 2004 diesel models in red book....

Audi A4 Avant estate

1.9 Tdi Diesal

- manual

- front wheel drive

- 100'000 miles

- Bose music system

- aircon - yes

- UK Price - £2810

[TABLE=class: prop-list]

[TR=class: item]

[TD=class: label]*Private Price Guide[/TD]

[TD=class: value]$8,300 - $10,300 (based on a 2005 2.0 as I cannot seem to find a 1.9Tdi on red book,,,,[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Cannot seem to find many diesel models, none on sale!

Victoria (Frankston).

Hi Iron Chef,

I've got a bit of a cheeky one for ya :)

Suppose you're going to move in about a year to Oz and want to buy a car that will make you the biggest windfall when bringing over, which car would you buy? A classic 911 targa or maybe a recent Audi A4 diesel estate? Or maybe a Hi-Ace or the like of workhorses?

Just curious (and slightly relevant maybe :)) and I can't help but wondering if you guys don't sit there imagining if there wouldn't be a way to get this or that car in without the extra levies ;)

Hi Iron Chef,

Suppose you're going to move in about a year to Oz and want to buy a car that will make you the biggest windfall when bringing over, which car would you buy? A classic 911 targa or maybe a recent Audi A4 diesel estate? Or maybe a Hi-Ace or the like of workhorses?

Just curious (and slightly relevant maybe :)) and I can't help but wondering if you guys don't sit there imagining if there wouldn't be a way to get this or that car in without the extra levies ;)

You're not the first to ask!

There's no way of avoiding the taxes on arrival unfortunately. In terms of what's good to bring, it really depends on your budget. Friends of mine are in the UK and opted for an A6 Allroad diesel and a Range Rover. But as a general rule, look at Porsches, Bentleys, Jaguars, Aston Martins etc - British cars seem to drop like stones over there, which makes them good buying. Around 4-5 years old is the sweet spot. PS add BMW M5 estate to the list, as we don't get them here.

You're not the first to ask!

There's no way of avoiding the taxes on arrival unfortunately. In terms of what's good to bring, it really depends on your budget. Friends of mine are in the UK and opted for an A6 Allroad diesel and a Range Rover. But as a general rule, look at Porsches, Bentleys, Jaguars, Aston Martins etc - British cars seem to drop like stones over there, which makes them good buying. Around 4-5 years old is the sweet spot. PS add BMW M5 estate to the list, as we don't get them here.

I am going to have to disagree a little with the ironchef here. Having brought two cars in myself and then sold one of them I can tell you its not just as simple as "Buy an expensive car". The car I sold was a 2011 BMW M3 with 16,000KM on the clock in 2014, competition pack, immaculate etc. The Aussie delivered cars were going for around $100 - $115K and I got $85K for mine with the next highest offer $72K....

The issue you have is that Aussies just don't want to spend money on imports when there are equivalent cars that were aussie delivered for sale. There was a guy I was talking to who was trying to convince me that $75K was a great price when the next best car on his list was $110K!! There seems to be a stigma around imported cars even though they all come from the same factory. Think about it, if you were buying a $200,000 car in OZ, would you want an aussie delivered one with an aussie history or a "trust me, this is a great car" import....Most aussies won't spend that type of money on a car unless its a true bargain.

Now the trick (in my view) is bringing in something where there is VERY little competition in oz when you are selling it. Therefore if someone wants one there is not much choice and they will pay close to the aussie delivered price as they realise they don't have a choice if they want one. Now given I have lots of BMW experience here are some examples :

BMW E46 M3 CSL

BMW E30 M3

BMW Z4M

What you need to do is your research on the UK price, the Aussie price, the import charges and, on average 20-30% reduction in the aussie car price on your resale. If you can get a rare car then that reduction in sale price is far lower and makes the chance of making money greater.

What most people find is that they will NOT make money by bringing in a car. For me, I ended up breaking even on owning a E92 M3 for about 20 months. Now while that might not seem great, it would have cost me about $30K if I had owned the same car in oz for the same period given the depreciation. So rather than trying to make money, you can look at it that you can own an exotic car for 1-2 years for next to nothing....

My 5p worth...

Hi Iron Chef,

I would actually go as far as sayinging that Australians taste in cars has evolved to the point that you would be best to look at what SUV's are well priced to bring over. Every morning I drop the kids at school, 75% of cars are SUVs, and with the demographic in Melbourne moving towards an Asian (China and Indian specifically) buyer then I see them mostly driving mid to high end SUVs. I would suggest 3 to 5 year old Porsche Macan or Cayene, Merc Benz ML's or G's, BMW X's, Range Rover Evoques and Disco seem popular also and even the Audi Q's or possibly Volvo XC's or the big Jeeps. You could also do the popular Japanese Mazdas and Toyotas but not so much competition for those.

If your going for the sports cars, there are importers in Australia called RAWS (registered Autpmotive Workshops) that can bring in cars on the SEVS list but they charge people a premium for the compliance (it used to be up to $10,000 compliance for some Ferraris and Maseratis and Lotuses) but some of these compliance costs have dropped in recent years but you can still effectively undercut these guys with your personal import as the compliance cost for a personal import is much cheaper. You could also bring in cars that aren't on the SEVS list, so something like the Lotus Exige is not currently available on SEVS but the Lotus Elise is, so bringing in an Exige would be a better option, or even something wild like a Ariel Atom!