How long to buy a car?

Alycat

Hi all

I'm trying to figure out how long we need to rent a car once we arrive. We are looking to buy a used car from either a dealer or private and we have a specific model in mind.

How long does it take to buy a car either from a dealer or privately factoring possibly having to get the car checked out by a mechanic and all the paper work?

Thanks in advance!

We bought one a few days after arriving. Found the one we wanted, got the price dropped a little in haggling and said sold. Went back next day to finalise paperwork and payment but could have done it that day if we had wanted. We didn't get it checked over by a mechanic though.

We bought one a few days after arriving. Found the one we wanted, got the price dropped a little in haggling and said sold. Went back next day to finalise paperwork and payment but could have done it that day if we had wanted. We didn't get it checked over by a mechanic though.

Oh that's quick! Was that through a dealership?

It was. We also did it in hubby's Aus driving licence and we already had proof of Aus address as had opened a bank account with Commonwealth and had headed letter etc from them to our address.

100 points of ID needed to get Aus DL but it's really straightforward. We also paid cash so no hassles there either finance wise.

Hi Alycat,

What type of car are you looking for and which city are you coming to?

I'll be putting my Subaru outback on the market in Sydney this weekend if you're interested.

Colin

Hi thanks for the offer but we'll be in Perth and we're looking for a ppl mover.

Hey,

We arrived in Melbourne on new years eve,hired an SUV for a couple of days just to get all the luggage to our rental then rented a smaller car to get us around,had the hire car for 6 days in total before we bought our 2 cars at a place called CarCity,most cars in places like this will have a drive away sticker on the windscreen with the price and thats all you pay.We took one away that day and then picked up the other the following morning.Only advice i have is shope around and if you have hard cash you will get a good deal on the cars.

Good Luck