Guest guest36187

Guest sirmatt101

Having validated our CPV in January this year it means that as we are flying Economy Class when flying out one way in January, we are only entitled to 20kgs of checked in baggage each, not a lot when emigrating. I emailed SIA customer services UK explaining the situation and they have come back with an extra 5kgs each, which is certainly a help on the way!

Cheers

Matt

. I emailed SIA customer services UK explaining the situation and they have come back with an extra 5kgs each, which is certainly a help on the way!

Cheers

Matt

Funny that, I emailed SIA warning them about a major Vegemite smuggling ring who plan to be in operation in the new year and may try and take advantage of their generous weight allowances. :shocked: :policeman:

Funny that, I emailed SIA warning them about a major Vegemite smuggling ring who plan to be in operation in the new year and may try and take advantage of their generous weight allowances. :shocked: :policeman:

That's worrying. Someone attempting to smuggle Vegemite into Australia.

:biggrin:

Having validated our CPV in January this year it means that as we are flying Economy Class when flying out one way in January, we are only entitled to 20kgs of checked in baggage each, not a lot when emigrating. I emailed SIA customer services UK explaining the situation and they have come back with an extra 5kgs each, which is certainly a help on the way!

Cheers

Matt

Good thinking Matt. I wish I'd done that then I could have brought my other computer, the lack of which will eventually set me back some dosh here. We were about 10% overweight, which was ignored.

sorry about that! the previous message was from audie (in snowy Canada)

Happy Christmas to all

audie

Happy Christmas to you also Audie! We will all be following your news with great interest.

That's a lot of snow. They're moaning over in England about 10cm - though I'm glad I'm here not there.

We have been corresponding about a few points with our Case Office, and don't now how others have found their's, but she emailed us today to wish us a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!! I returned the compliment and said it will be good to hopefully spend the next one in Aus!!!

Nice touch!

Ours was very helpful and efficient, I remember.

Guest sirmatt101
We have been corresponding about a few points with our Case Office, and don't now how others have found their's, but she emailed us today to wish us a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!! I returned the compliment and said it will be good to hopefully spend the next one in Aus!!!

Hopefully she took the hint! Ours wished us Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year this time last year when she sent us the grant letter! Seems an age ago now!

Cheers

Matt

Guest sirmatt101

I have been avoiding the "V" word for reasons that Les & Steve should know!

Matt

I have been avoiding the "V" word for reasons that Les & Steve should know!

Matt

Quite so. Goin' straight now, guv, seen the light and all that. And now for something completely different....

The Aussie dollar is still climbing, mainly against sterling and the Euro now. There are new CPV applicants appearing on the tracker however, which means that people are assessing the cost against the current rates. 2011 will be interesting, as UK interest rates start to rise - will sterling be tempting enough for investors I wonder. We'll know about the effects of winter, the VAT rise and other measures by April - coinciding with springtime.

My case officer was very helpful and friendly. When I got my visa approved she sent an email that included "The call of the Indian Ocean is nigh" as I had been saying how much I was looking forward to returning to the lookout at Perry Lakes (just north of Perth).

Peewit

The Aussie dollar is still climbing, mainly against sterling and the Euro now. There are new CPV applicants appearing on the tracker however, which means that people are assessing the cost against the current rates. 2011 will be interesting, as UK interest rates start to rise - will sterling be tempting enough for investors I wonder. We'll know about the effects of winter, the VAT rise and other measures by April - coinciding with springtime.

In theory for the next few days it will be cheaper (just) to pay the 2nd vac payment in the UK, quote of $1.54 this morning on UKForex. :wacko:

It's a Girl:jiggy:

Wanda and Les Avalook are pleased to announce a new addition to our family.

After the normal 15 ½ month gestation period we have a new arrival that we have decided to call COody Avalook.

COody just popped into our world in what was a painless arrival and I am pleased to say Wanda is doing very well even though we were both becoming restless towards the end.

She is a welcome addition to our two sons Willy in Oz and Diddy in the UK.

Wanda is surrounded by bottles but we are making sure COody does not touch them.

COody Avalook is living up to her name right from their first day.

Looks like a few sleepless nights for a while.

Must dash as COody is after something else and she seems to want everything ‘now’. :chatterbox:

Guest sirmatt101
It's a Girl:jiggy:

Wanda and Les Avalook are pleased to announce a new addition to our family.

After the normal 15 ½ month gestation period we have a new arrival that we have decided to call COody Avalook.

COody just popped into our world in what was a painless arrival and I am pleased to say Wanda is doing very well even though we were both becoming restless towards the end.

She is a welcome addition to our two sons Willy in Oz and Diddy in the UK.

Wanda is surrounded by bottles but we are making sure COody does not touch them.

COody Avalook is living up to her name right from their first day.

Looks like a few sleepless nights for a while.

Must dash as COody is after something else and she seems to want everything ‘now’. :chatterbox:

Congratulations Les & Wanda on getting a CO!! Have you been waiing for this by any chance? Better get your skates on now, nearly there.

Cheers

Matt

Guest sirmatt101

Our household effects arrived in Brisbane last week after departing on 16th October! It has just been through quarantine & customs and of all the items they could have picked up on we have a choice of paying either $330 to treat or $110 to destroy the 1 item, a brand new still the box artificial christmas tree with artificial pine cones, bought in a B&Q sale 4 years ago!! I heard that they target christmas decorations, but not going to complain, just find it funny.

Cheers

Scrooge, bah humbug

Our household effects arrived in Brisbane last week after departing on 16th October! It has just been through quarantine & customs and of all the items they could have picked up on we have a choice of paying either $330 to treat or $110 to destroy the 1 item, a brand new still the box artificial christmas tree with artificial pine cones, bought in a B&Q sale 4 years ago!! I heard that they target christmas decorations, but not going to complain, just find it funny.

Cheers

Scrooge, bah humbug

Pay them with artificial money. :wink:

Thanks for your good wishes, on our second cup of tea already. :wubclub:

Guest sirmatt101
Pay them with artificial money. :wink:

Thanks for your good wishes, on our second cup of tea already. :wubclub:

Will that be Earl Grey, or just plain Essex Tea :biglaugh:

Matt

Guest mombie58@hotmail.com

congrats Les and Wanda

all the very best!

by the way - our two cawse officers have been wonderful - and i really think that they are doing the best that they can for us. However,, red tape is red tape and it is hard to break..........

Hi Steve, I guess you are busy with Christmas as I haven’t seen you post lately, hope all is well for you down under.

We have at last got our CO on 23/12/10, just in time for the Xmas shut down!

If you can update the tracker or send me the login.

I did notice I gave you the wrong acknowledgement date, I gave you the payment date when it should have been 10/09/09 for Ack.

We felt that we was slipping behind Framboy on the tracker so we emailed Perth last weekend and said would we get a Christmas present or would we have to wait for the new year?

They emailed us Tuesday and said they would pass the email on to the team leader and we got the CO Thursday, so the little nudge worked.

Regards Les

A very Happy Christmas to all you guys on this thread, I wonder where we will all be this time next year?

Cheers

Matt

The Workhouse house? :eek:

Happy Christmas Matt, if the weather stays the same in Brisie you may be flooded out.

Certainly not camping weather out there at the moment.

Happy Christmas all!

An exhausting few weeks for us, with the added pressure of a plummeting sterling. My hopes are for a return to currency sanity in 2011 (thanks Les!).

Well done Les for nudging your way to a CO. Now you have the added fun of shelling out for the second VAC to look forward to. Oh sorry, that sounds a bit unseasonal. :wink:

Anyway, signing off now for a few days - enjoy the festivities.

Cheers

Steve