SUMMARY: Spouse Visa Processing times OFFSHORE-UK. Please add your Stats.

Guest sr1992

Thats correct! They have just asked for evidence as to how i obtained the citizenship. So I assume my citizenship certificate! I'll add in the formal photo of receiving itfor good measure ;-)

Ok. Then I'm worried about OH. They were born in Australia but have a British passport by decent. Does that mean they're not a citizen?!

Ozzie they would have contacted you if they needed more info. Maybe give them a call Monday.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

It's not the contact I'm worried about. We thought OH was a citizen as they have a British passport (by descent) but have never applied for citizenship and have no certificate.

Actually I don't know that it matters... off to check what I had written in our application!

Edited by Guest

It's not the contact I'm worried about. We thought OH was a citizen as they have a British passport (by descent) but have never applied for citizenship and have no certificate.

OH would have had to have British citizenship before they could have got a passport. Same with my kids, I applied for citizenship by descent and once that certificate came through we could get passports

OH would have had to have British citizenship before they could have got a passport. Same with my kids, I applied for citizenship by descent and once that certificate came through we could get passports

Hmm ok. It was a while ago when OH applied for their British passport (1999). I just asked, they can't recall getting a citizenship! No idea about a certificate or not!

I'm sure they have it, you can't just get a British passport like that

OK. They can't recall getting it at all! A long time ago. We did a big move last year and went through every piece of paperwork so we know we don't have it with us. I wonder who I need to speak to, to obtain a copy.

This is from the Gov.uk site - so it looks like OH became a citizen automatically as their parents were married.

4. Born before 1 July 2006 to a British father

You can register as a British citizen if you:

• were born before 1 July 2006

• would have become a British citizen automatically if your parents had been married

So they were a British citizen by decent ie: they didn't apply for a citizenship certificate and didn't need one.

Edited by Guest

OK. They can't recall getting it at all! A long time ago. We did a big move last year and went through every piece of paperwork so we know we don't have it with us. I wonder who I need to speak to, to obtain a copy.

This is from the Gov.uk site - so it looks like OH became a citizen automatically as their parents were married.

[h=1]4. Born before 1 July 2006 to a British father[/h] You can register as a British citizen if you:

• were born before 1 July 2006

• would have become a British citizen automatically if your parents had been married

Yes that sounds right. My friend is a aussie and her dad is British and she had duel citizenship.

Yes that sounds right. My friend is a aussie and her dad is British and she had duel citizenship.

Yah, but as it's descent, there was no need to apply for citizenship nor obtain a certificate - it's citizenship by decent.

Phew!

Yah, but as it's descent, there was no need to apply for citizenship nor obtain a certificate - it's citizenship by decent.

Phew!

You still have to apply for citizenship by decent and prove it. That's what we done with our kids for Australian citizenship by descent, they both then got certificates, and the last we could apply for their passports. I'm sure if they need any further information they will contact you.

You still have to apply for citizenship by decent and prove it. That's what we done with our kids for Australian citizenship by descent, they both then got certificates, and the last we could apply for their passports. I'm sure if they need any further information they will contact you.

Ok maybe things have changed since 1999. OH definitely didn't apply for their citizenship certificate. They just needed to provide father's birth certificate, parent's marriage certificate, their birth certificate and Australian passport details.

Hang on - you're talking about Australian citizenship I just realised. I'm speaking of British citizenship!

Ok maybe things have changed since 1999. OH definitely didn't apply for their citizenship certificate. They just needed to provide father's birth certificate, parent's marriage certificate, their birth certificate and Australian passport details.

I'm sure all is okay.

I'm sure all is okay.

Yah, I'm not worried at all. I think things just became confused there re Australian citizenship by decent (we have this for our child) and British citizenship by descent.

Ahhh right okay. All will be fine.

definitely :cute:

I'm putting all this on the backburner anyway. Not going to worry and wish for approval, feel like I'm wishing my life away. It'll come when it comes. Off to bed with a cuppa t, night all

Thats correct! They have just asked for evidence as to how i obtained the citizenship. So I assume my citizenship certificate! I'll add in the formal photo of receiving itfor good measure ;-)

Thanks @SimplyRhi. Were you by descent? It's interesting the difference cases. Hopefully this means a quick approval for you. After deciding to not fash about this anymore had a lovely sleep! ?

definitely :cute:

I'm putting all this on the backburner anyway. Not going to worry and wish for approval, feel like I'm wishing my life away. It'll come when it comes. Off to bed with a cuppa t, night all

I would definitely try not to worry, it seems as though they only get in touch so soon if they have something missing, which would explain my case ?.

I feel really excited that we have contact, and a 28 day deadline, but equally very nervous that we will still end up waiting a really long time afterwards. The waiting is all consuming! It's impossible to think of anything else!

Thanks @SimplyRhi. Were you by descent? It's interesting the difference cases. Hopefully this means a quick approval for you. After deciding to not fash about this anymore had a lovely sleep! 

Sorry, I missed this, nope, I'm an australian citizen, but gained British citizenship through my marriage. We went through this process for the Uk for me! And now we are doing the same for my hubby so we can finally go live in Australia. It was important to me that I have my British citizenship so as to be void of any immigration restrictions if we had to come back/ the kids moved back etc... ne

Sorry, I missed this, nope, I'm an australian citizen, but gained British citizenship through my marriage. We went through this process for the Uk for me! And now we are doing the same for my hubby so we can finally go live in Australia. It was important to me that I have my British citizenship so as to be void of any immigration restrictions if we had to come back/ the kids moved back etc... ne

We are in the same boat - my partner is just about to do her British naturalisation application though. Want her passport before we go to Oz so if we ever come home then she can without issue.

Ahh ok, that totally clears things up. My OH is a British citizen by descent therefore never needed to apply for a certificate. I think someone said above you can't get a passport without a certificate but this is not the case - just in case anyone reading this was confused as I was a few posts back. We did need to apply for and receive a certificate for our child's Australian citizenship however.

Hello, new to this forum. Applied 27th Sept and heard nothing. From reading other forums had hoped someone would have been in touch by now as haven't done medials or police checks. Hopefully straightforward case (together 9 years, no kids). Is it worth phoning or is it likely to result in a standard response?

Hi All,

Just thought I'd upload my details and dates.

Date of Lodgement - 03rd September 2016

Lodgement - Online from UK, Spouse

Medical and police checks provided unrequested with first month.

No dependents or complicating factors.

Copious documents and evidence provided.

British husband, Australian Wife. Married one month before application.

No contact, queries or case officer.

Fingers crossed.

My wife is in Melbourne now. She has rented a house. I can't travel until dogs fly on 02nd March 2017. I'd like to hope my visa will have arrived by then.

If not I'll have to be a kept man for a bit.

I'll keep you posted with any progress.