emigrating to canbera ?...

Hi everyone, been trying for a long time to get offered sponsored work for my hubby. Looks like we finally may have it, our application has been passed to the hiring manager working for the defence as civilian chef. Hubby is ex military probs why hes been passed over... anyone know anything about life there, rents for 2/3bed house not cbd somewhere peaceful.

Cheers carol

That would be CanbeRRa - pretty expensive place to live, cbd is unlike any other cbd youve been accustomed to - most live in the suburbs and peaceful probably isnt the word really - dead for the most part during the day as most families are two income to make ends meet. www.allhomes.com.au has pretty much the monopoly on housing rentals and purchases. A heads up though, if you have kids, you're likely to have to pay $10k pa for each of them in a government school unless your occupation is on SOL. If you have to live anywhere in Aus it's one of the better places - two hours to beach, two hours to snow, just over 2 to Sydney, bush all around, decent schools, excellent facilities, inclined to drought when it's not so great, decent seasons but cold in winter, hot in summer for the most part. Good luck, it's a nice place.

Hi everyone, been trying for a long time to get offered sponsored work for my hubby. Looks like we finally may have it, our application has been passed to the hiring manager working for the defence as civilian chef. Hubby is ex military probs why hes been passed over... anyone know anything about life there, rents for 2/3bed house not cbd somewhere peaceful.

Cheers carol

Nobody lives in the CBD in Canberra! Everyone lives in the suburbs. The further out you go, the cheaper it gets generally, like all cities - but the good thing about Canberra is that even the furthest suburb isn't very far from town. You can get from Crace to the city in around 20 minutes (longer in peak hour, of course). If you like a quiet life and your husband doesn't mind a short commute, you could even live in one of the outlying villages.

Most Australians say Canberra is boring, but I rather like it. As Quoll says, it's very central for enjoying your weekends in the mountains or on the coast.

Afternoon thanks for all the advice . Ive had a quick scout on a couple of sites, I reckon were looking at $400+rent wk. But until we getthere im not signing any tenancy until weve had time to look at all the suburbs. Luckily I thinktheres immediate accommodation included for when we arrive, depending what this is like , if no good may have to get short term furnished accomodation. Which I gather will be very expensive.

Thanks again

Carol

You won't get a rental before you arrive, the Estate Agents won't sign you up sight unseen. Will your DH be working at Duntroon? The Inner North is good but the prices are rising there so $400 won't get you much but it's one of those swings and roundabouts things - further out you are, lower the rent but need for 2 vehicles. I'd be budgeting for at least $500 for somewhere decent. Don't stress ahead of time though, just schmooze around the suburbs and see what floats your boat. We're Ainslie and it's got a nice feel, walk to Civic, walk up Mt Ainslie, close to Dickson for the pool, big supermarkets etc