Flying dogs at short notice

itegoa

Hi,

I'm wondering about timeframes for shipping our 2 dogs to Australia. We have 2 staffies that we would like to ship with us when we go. We don't have a definite date, but due to work commitments it will be short notice - it's possible that my work could end at the beginning of August 2015, and we book flights to Australia for the following month at the beginning of September 2015.

What is the best way to approach this? I understand that rabies jabs + tests can take 7 months, and I think there's a further 18 months you're allowed to ship.

So i'm thinking that we kick off the rabies vaccination process in January 2015, which would allow us to fly the dogs out from approx August 2015 onwards.

How easy is it to get other jabs/tests/paperwork done and get doggie flights booked for short notice?

TIA :)

I don't know anything about shipping dogs tbh but I am guessing the sooner you arrange it the better really.Emigrating is stressful enough without adding more stress.I like to be really organised which equates to less stress lol Can you perhaps ring a pet carrier and ask their advice? hopefully someone else will be along soon that can be more helpful.I used to have a Staffie in Oz and they are lovely dogs.

I don't know anything about shipping dogs tbh but I am guessing the sooner you arrange it the better really.Emigrating is stressful enough without adding more stress.I like to be really organised which equates to less stress lol Can you perhaps ring a pet carrier and ask their advice? hopefully someone else will be along soon that can be more helpful.I used to have a Staffie in Oz and they are lovely dogs.

Yeah arranging things sooner is good. I like to be organised too! However, the problem is that I can't plan too far in the future. I'm basically waiting until there's no more work for me in the UK, then get the flights booked for ASAP so I can find work in Oz, get out there, and start earning money out there.

Hi Itegoa

Yes get the rabies work started in Jan 2015, then 3-4 weeks later get the rabies blood sample done.

Then the question is - are the dogs definitely going to go at some point at end of 2015 - if yes then let us get the permits and at least we have them (it takes 3-4 weeks to get them), then we can get you booked with 6 weeks notice. if there is a chance the dogs may not go at end of 2015, then dont get permits, but it will be more like 8-10 weeks to plan this.

All is dependant on quarantine space too and quarantine is moving to Melbourne in autumn 2015, so that may affect what you decide too.

Key thing is to get the rabies work done and then decide are dogs definitely going or not.

Bob

Hi Itegoa

Yes get the rabies work started in Jan 2015, then 3-4 weeks later get the rabies blood sample done.

Then the question is - are the dogs definitely going to go at some point at end of 2015 - if yes then let us get the permits and at least we have them (it takes 3-4 weeks to get them), then we can get you booked with 6 weeks notice. if there is a chance the dogs may not go at end of 2015, then dont get permits, but it will be more like 8-10 weeks to plan this.

All is dependant on quarantine space too and quarantine is moving to Melbourne in autumn 2015, so that may affect what you decide too.

Key thing is to get the rabies work done and then decide are dogs definitely going or not.

Bob

Cheers, Bob. I'll get things moving in the new year. We had a quote of Petair earlier in the year, looked good. Obviously things have changed since then with quarantine fees increasing and probably other things.

We're still not sure if it'll just be me flying out at first and the family to follow, or we all go together!

• 4 weeks later...

I paid a visit to our local vets today. They said that it costs £70 (per dog) for the Rabies vaccination which includes the pet passport.

Pet passport? I thought that was only needed if you're bringing your dog back into the UK. I questioned them on this, and they were sure that it is needed. I have just checked https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/pet-passport and (I think) that confirms I'm correct.

Slightly more alarming though is the fact that they said they don't think they need to do a Rabies test afterwards anymore!

I'm going to go back over the next few days as they are going to sort the microchipping out, and will bring the above issues with them again. Will take a print-out of all the steps on Australia's Dept of Agriculture category 3 step-by-step guide for dogs (http://www.agriculture.gov.au/biosecurity/cat-dogs/step-by-step-guides/category-3-step-by-step-guide-for-dogs).

Edited by itegoa

£70 does sound about right for rabies vaccine and passport, but your dog does not need a passport. it can make it a bit easier if you want to come back, but you do not need it to go out.

we have heard all sorts from vets, the worst one was the vet thought that you vaccinated against rabies and then waited 6 months and then rabies blood test. really ruined the person's move. You cant expect vets to know everything about everything, but if we dont know something then we ought to say "We dont know" rather than giving duff advice.

At least you found out early and remember - dont take everything your vet says as gospel!