Is there an age limit on dogs moving to Australia, are staffordshire terries allowed

Jayne Dave

Hello,

We are making the move to Australia in August 2015, our paperwork is all in order; its just our dogs now. We have a collie cross Alsatian who is approximately 11 years old and we have a staffy who has just turned 5.

Is there an age limit on dogs being allowed into Australia ?

Do they have to fly or could we travel by boat ? an old friend was a purser on the Southern Cross in the 70's and tells me people traveled by boat as this prevented quarantine due to it taking 5 wks to arrive ???, however I have recently read that the quarantine has since been reduced to 10 days ?? after flying in, does anyone know if this is correct? any advice please much appreciated as we are ready for the move but want to take our dogs with us rather than re-home

Hi Jayne and welcome to PIO.If you have a look on the home page,on the left hand side there is a pet section.Plenty of people have taken pets so I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help and advise you!Staffies are great dogs.I had one in Australia,and it was as soft as a teddy bear!:cute:Don't see why they would be banned.Loads of people own staffies in Australia!

• 1 month later...

Hi Jayne.

Sorry i took so long to reply to this post.

Yes, quarantine is now 10 days! Good news, but bad news is that DAFF are still charging 30 days worth of fees - so it is about $1700 AUD per pet.

No age limit, though be warned when the permit is applied for, DAFF send a mean email saying "Are you sure you want to bring your old pet, you know it is a big deal etc etc"

Also, staffies are fine for entry.

To travel in August, You need to get the rabies work started soon. Your dogs need a rabies vaccine, then 3-4 weeks later a rabies blood sample and then they can travel 180 days after that, so get started asap!