Quality of the Quarantine Facilities....?

Hi,

I'm currently going through a quote with Pet Air, so I am aware of the shocking price increase in the quarantine stations. With the Perth one being closed, and my cat having to go to the Sydney one - which I will not be able to see for myself, I decided to have a look online for some pictures of the place, or even information.

Well seem's there is NONE! How is that possible? Did find a few bad reviews however - and they were before the owners were banned from going into the centre! So anyone's guess as to the quality is like now?

Was also shocked to read they only feed them once a day and its DRY food - which obviously isn't great for my cat who gets pretty much all of his water intake from his wet pouches. They don't even let you send in your own cat food - even if its from Australia?

So I don't understand how I can stay at a 5* hotel in Sydney for 10 days for cheaper (and be looked after better!) than it is for my cat being confined to the pokey wee space.

Oh I also read that dogs are not walked.... Surely that can't be correct?!

No idea what like the Melbourne facility is like... Anyone have any good/bad experiences of either one? Or Bob, do you have any info?

Thanks!

Pretty much what I said in a previous thread :)

I did see images in a PDF previously (think I found it on the official site). They looked pretty much like standard runs that you would see in a rescue centre. The cats at least had 2 levels so that they could sit up high and be bored stiff for 10 days.

Just be thankful that it is 10 days , not 30.

The irony is that I would have probably paid extra if it meant that I could reduce the stay from 30 to 10 days.

Hi

All is correct I am afraid. The Australian government say "jump" and we have to ask "How high? and can we please pay you stacks for it".

If you are goign over to Perth, then Sydney is a better option as they have more space and the flights from SYD to PER are more frequent so there is more choice.

I have got some pics on an attachment for you if you like - email me at bob@petairuk.com and i can send them over.

Ref the wet food, we had a client go over this week who had arrange wet food for their cats. The vets had to write a letter and submit it to DAFF and they allowed wet food to be sent in.

Unfortunately, DAFF have got us all by the wotsits and there is not a lot we can do to change it and it stinks!

Wonder how many pet owners will now just get their pets rehomed because of the increase.

It's not even the money that bothers me as I'm pretty happy its been reduced to 10 days, but its how he's treated in those 10 days is what bothers me.

Thats great news Bob, I'll maybe see about that. I've been emailing Zara back and forward, she is really helpful. But I'll fire an email your way and have a look at the pics. Thank you very much.

Levi

What I dont understand is how they can justify $149 / day per cat....then $149 for 2nd cat in same enclosure??? thats the same cost as a dog enclosure.......erm - no ill have 2 enclosures please at that. (whilst were paying less to stay at the local HILTON)

Bob in OZ website says they dont walk the dogs as his wife had set up a dog walking business for this problem.

Maybe we should protest!!

Wonder how many pet owners will now just get their pets rehomed because of the increase.

It's not even the money that bothers me as I'm pretty happy its been reduced to 10 days, but its how he's treated in those 10 days is what bothers me.

Thats great news Bob, I'll maybe see about that. I've been emailing Zara back and forward, she is really helpful. But I'll fire an email your way and have a look at the pics. Thank you very much.

Levi

I look on it as 10 days being better than 30. Shorter time spent in the same facilities and then back with their owners. I know the costing is crap compared to the 30 day stay but its a shorter timeframe before getting them back. I'd prefer to take the cost increase over the 20 days extra in quarantine but that is me.

I look on it as 10 days being better than 30. Shorter time spent in the same facilities and then back with their owners. I know the costing is crap compared to the 30 day stay but its a shorter timeframe before getting them back. I'd prefer to take the cost increase over the 20 days extra in quarantine but that is me.

Yeah the 10 days is really great - I'd rather the shorter period! Its just the extra things they seem to have cut out completely, just wondered what 'care' has been cut even though the fee has sky rocketed. Either way, a pet's for life so my boy will be coming with us. :)

Guest Linda21

So can anyone tell me, can the dogs be walked from Melbourne quarantine? If so, do you have to use a dog walking company or can you ask a friend to do it (I have a friend in Melbourne)?

So can anyone tell me, can the dogs be walked from Melbourne quarantine? If so, do you have to use a dog walking company or can you ask a friend to do it (I have a friend in Melbourne)?

I think its the same for both the facilities Linda. I don't understand why they wouldn't walk the dogs - 10 days in a kennel is a long time without getting out.

No I dont think theyre walked at all - see this link http://www.bobinoz.com/migration-advice/bringing-your-pet-to-australia/

"Rule changes by the Australian Government put an end to that which now means…

• No visits

• No exercise

• No treats

• No idea what the facilities are like inside quarantine

• No photographs

• No updates (even telephone calls to quarantine staff are not allowed)

• No playtime

• No toys

• Absolutely no contact whatsoever"

scoundrels

First way to look at this (glass half empty view):

I did start a petition when all this started being mentioned and we got 700 signatures from all over, but DAFF took no notice and carried on.

It is ridiculous, but here is the thought process: "We have a hole in our budget, what shall we do?" "lets just put the prices up lots and recoup the money like that" Done!

Wish it were that easy, but what they dont realise is that people will stop bringing their pets, which equals less money and a bigger hole. Better to get it more efficient and maybe put the prices up by a little, but hey, i am just a lowly pet shipper, what do i know.

Second way to look at it (glass half full view):

2 years ago quarantine for one dog was $1305 AUS and exchange rate was 1.4, so about £900 for a 30 day stay. Now it is going to be £1800 (ish) and exchange rate is 1.8 - so about £1000 and your dog only has to stay 10 days rather than 30. and it is the same money.

As much as i keep trying to focus on the second view, I cant help feeling that this is a bloomin mess and desperately unfair.

It's a shame they have to cut services and raise the price. If they had kept it how it was - with the dog walking company being able to go in and out, then I wouldn't mind as much. But to cut all corners and raise the price. Can't seem to get my head around it.

However, I'm bringing my wee boy either way. 10 days of him being in the quarantine facilities would be nothing compared to being rehomed here in the UK. Least he'll be with the family - one less thing to get 'homesick' about. Lol.

• 2 weeks later...

The person at the top that has the final say in regards to those rules/price changes must really hate animals.

I cannot understand how in a country where people seem to put so much effort to preserve their flora and fauna, cats and dogs can be treated in such a disgraceful manner. The quarantine facilities look bad enough and the attitude towards owners (although indirect) is just not acceptable.

I have just posted in another thread that their advice for my 2 cats was to shave them, so they feel more comfortable instead of installing air condition in the qaurantine facilities, considering the price we are paying.

• 1 month later...

I really hope people don't stop bringing their animals just because of a fee increase. Animals love their families just like people do. I think sometimes we tell ourselves they don't really know/understand to be better able to cope ourselves, but it isn't true. Some cynics told me my cat wouldn't really remember me after I had to leave her behind for a couple of months before shipping her over (I picked the wrong transport company. Grr.). She's very timid and skittish and afraid of her own shadow, so I half expected maybe they were right and she'd run and hide the second I opened her crate at our new home. It was quite the opposite, actually. She 100% knew who I was and she had missed the heck out of me... she was serpenting around my legs meowing excitedly until I picked her up (and this is normally a cat who isn't crazy about being picked up). She nuzzled me and headbutted me over and over and over and started licking my hair, and she wouldn't let me out of her sight for weeks. Animals KNOW. I have no doubt about that anymore.