Unsure whether to take our cat to South Australia

BSG75

Hi as the above says really, she is nearly 11 is very skitty and shy and was badly mistreated as a kitten before I rescued her. I am worried how the journey will affect her.

also could anyone advise of the cost of shipping for her? I have no idea how much the cost would be.

any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Hi

Rough cost all in for flight, permits, vet work and quarantine will be around £2000-£2200.

The best option for these pets is often to be rehomed if you have got someone good and trustworthy to rehome them to, if you dont, then the only option is to fly them really. No cats love the journey or the quarantine and some do take quite a long time to settle down, but they are better with you than at a rehoming centre for months or sent to live somewhere you dont know about.

Dont forget you need to start the vet work at least 7 months before you want your cat to fly so get started early if she is going to go with you.

This is a really tough decision, but the fact that she is skitty should not stop her flying.

Hope that helps

Bob

We had to re home our dog wen moved to adelaide as he'd failed rabies twice. The breeder initially took him back but ive recently made contact via Facebook with his new mummy! She sends me pictures & updates me on his goings on! Its delightful to see him so settled & happy. She has provided him with a forever home & he's basically her pampered pooch. So although its horrendous having to leave a beloved member of your fur family behind there can also be a happy outcome to it . Good luck xx

Thankyou for the replies. I couldn't leave her with someone I didn't know and had hoped my parents would look after her but sadly not. Bob if we decide to take her through your company would you be able to assist me with all of the things I would need to do? We are leaving in April next year.

thanks

Hi, yes we can.

The thing to do now is to get the rabies work started. You can do that with your own vets, that is often the best way. Your cat needs a microchip and rabies vaccination, then around 3-4 weeks after that yoru cat needs a rabies blood sample and then your cat can fly at least 180 days after that.

Once you have that done, we can take over and get permits/export papers and help for sure.

can you email me at bob@petairuk.com with your location in UK and your cat's name and i can send you a quote.

Thanks

Bob

Hi,

just wanted to say we ended up bringing our cat last minute as our adopter fell through. She was nine, very timid, a skin condition and titanium pin in her leg! She came out of quarantine looking better than we had last seen her! She's moved home twice (no more moves, we've bought a home now) and she has been great! She loves the sun so much, loves being outdoors (well as long as she can skulk about in bushes, she'd never just walk down the street). We haven't regretted it for a minute and it helped me settle in so much more easily to have her here! She is now 11 and has become a right sook :)

Gill

No definately not...There are enough vermin here in Australia destroying our wildlife..Leave the cat where there isnt any wildlife to worry about ...Please.

Whilst I appreciate everyone is entitled to their own opinion please do not call my cat vermin. She is not vermin. Unfortunately I would not be able to leave her anywhere safe away from wildlife because we are surrounded by wildlife. she hardly ever goes out as she prefers to sit on the window sill, she wears a bell on her collar to alert the birds if she's about and we also back onto a lake and she has NEVER brought anything back .

I created this post for advice on what is the best thing to do for my cat who has been in my life from being 12 weeks old not to be lectured to about cats killing wildlife.

Hi,

just wanted to say we ended up bringing our cat last minute as our adopter fell through. She was nine, very timid, a skin condition and titanium pin in her leg! She came out of quarantine looking better than we had last seen her! She's moved home twice (no more moves, we've bought a home now) and she has been great! She loves the sun so much, loves being outdoors (well as long as she can skulk about in bushes, she'd never just walk down the street). We haven't regretted it for a minute and it helped me settle in so much more easily to have her here! She is now 11 and has become a right sook :)

Gill

Thank you for this, much more useful than the previous poster!!!

We're re-homing our cats (due to the extortionate cost of the quarantine fees putting them way over budget) with family, but in the recent hot weather I've noticed how lethargic they've been with the heat and am actually quite glad we're not taking them to Brisbane now, as they are obviously not fans of the warm weather!!

Good luck for what you decide - there are so many positive pet moving stories I'm sure she'll be fine.

And to the other poster - cats are not vermin. If you can't say anything helpful maybe you need to be on CTF, not in the part of the forum where people are after advice.

Whilst I appreciate everyone is entitled to their own opinion please do not call my cat vermin. She is not vermin. Unfortunately I would not be able to leave her anywhere safe away from wildlife because we are surrounded by wildlife. she hardly ever goes out as she prefers to sit on the window sill, she wears a bell on her collar to alert the birds if she's about and we also back onto a lake and she has NEVER brought anything back .

I created this post for advice on what is the best thing to do for my cat who has been in my life from being 12 weeks old not to be lectured to about cats killing wildlife.

FWIW, look into the local councils cat curfew policies when moving to Adelaide (and its suburbs). Some areas require you to keep your cat inside overnight or on your own property 24/7. Lots of people with cats have escape proof runs or fencing to keep their cats in their own back yard. It seems to work well.

I have to admit I see very few cats out and about here in Adelaide. Only one in my entire time living in Glenelg for 7 or 8 months. And since moving to another suburb a month or two ago I've yet to see a single one. I don't know the councils policies for these areas but I figure if people are keeping them, they are indoors or on their own property as they are not out roaming like cats were in the UK (we were inundated with them in our gardens in the UK when living in towns). I've been to peoples houses here where they have cats and they are indoor ones so kept in 24/7.

With regard to the flight and quarantine, I'd think your cat would cope and although might take a little while to settle, I do agree with Bob that rehoming and potentially being stuck for months in a rehoming centre would be far more stressful. Alas older cats are hard to rehome and are often overlooked.

DO It....for your peace of mind -and how nice would it be to have your own cat with you in a foreign land

option is to take that £2000 and rescue 10 cats over in OZ :laugh:

IN SA I read they have no cat curfew as this would be impractical to enforce - in Victoria they have a 24 hour cat curfew in some places and cats have to be house cats

FWIW, look into the local councils cat curfew policies when moving to Adelaide (and its suburbs). Some areas require you to keep your cat inside overnight or on your own property 24/7. Lots of people with cats have escape proof runs or fencing to keep their cats in their own back yard. It seems to work well.

I have to admit I see very few cats out and about here in Adelaide. Only one in my entire time living in Glenelg for 7 or 8 months. And since moving to another suburb a month or two ago I've yet to see a single one. I don't know the councils policies for these areas but I figure if people are keeping them, they are indoors or on their own property as they are not out roaming like cats were in the UK (we were inundated with them in our gardens in the UK when living in towns). I've been to peoples houses here where they have cats and they are indoor ones so kept in 24/7.

http://www.ccac.net.au/files/Cat_legislation_SA_UAM95Kelly.pdf

Heres the cat legislation for SA xx

Edited by mogsandrovers

I live in Tasmania...I know not where you are planning to go...Tasmania is over-run with cats and they are destroying small wildlife including bandicoots, Ringtail possums and lots of other wildlife..They also spread toxoplasmosis through their filthy excrement which lives in grasses and when wildlife eat these grasses the parasite passes into their system causing blindness and a lingering death to our wildlife...Please dont contribute to Australias wildlife extinction..

I live in Tasmania...I know not where you are planning to go...Tasmania is over-run with cats and they are destroying small wildlife including bandicoots, Ringtail possums and lots of other wildlife..They also spread toxoplasmosis through their filthy excrement which lives in grasses and when wildlife eat these grasses the parasite passes into their system causing blindness and a lingering death to our wildlife...Please dont contribute to Australias wildlife extinction..

The OP quite clearly states in the subject line they are planning on moving to South Australia.

The OP was asking specific questions regarding bringing their cat to SA. They sound like a responsible pet owner to me. And there are no laws or bans in place for shipping cats into Australia from certain countries. The OP is doing nothing wrong by considering options.

While I appreciate there are strong views on cats and the destruction of wildlife (its an ongoing debate all over it seems as I recall a study done in the UK not long ago), it isn't really helpful keep taking the topic off at a tangent.

Thats because cats wander night time and kill nesting birds and wildlife and you dont see them...They are another weapon in the human races destruction of our planets wildlife slowly but surely..

The furthest my cat will 'wander' at night is from the window sill to the food bowl, I never allow her to go out at night time because I am fully aware that this is when cats will hunt. I am a responsible cat owner, the thought of her killing wildlife is horrendous, please do not judge me to not care about wildlife whether that be in the UK or Australia.

@BSG, we would have never embarked on the migration path if I had thought we couldn't take our cat and I was advised by a pet transport expert that the fact she was 18 was no problem however in the event our vet did not think it was a good idea. A fabulous friend fostered her (we paid for food and vets bills) and we got regular updates and got to visit her twice before she passed on at 20.

If you don't have anyone to take your cat then unless she has particular health problems there is no reason not to take her. We brought a 4 year old cat back with us and she has been absolutely fine, even in the Scottish weather :)

Have you seen this?

- made me laugh

One thing to consider though is the attitude to cats in Australia is different and there are vile people who justify harming cats on the kind of grounds Echidna66 makes above. Cats being trapped, shot with cross bows etc. is not uncommon, hunting generally is considered acceptable in Australia and cats domestic of otherwise fall into that category. Our cat has freedom here we didn't feel we could give her in Australia for that reason.

Also to consider is it will be harder to find a rental (that said we found a few for our final month that were happy to take the cat)