4 Year Old Cat - UK To Queensland

Hi there,

Just looking for a bit of general advice really! We're looking to travel to the Gold Coast in November of this year, and will be taking our lovely, 4 year old male persian.

To be honest, we've not done anything toward getting him there, but will be looking to get him his rabies vaccination this week at some point. Does anyone know how much it would cost? Is there a special vets we would have to go to? He hasn't been micro-chipped either.

I'd also really appreciate any information on how to progress from here. I understand that he probably won't be fully ready to go in November, so we might have to go on ahead without him, and have him shipped on a bit after. Does anyone have any experience in this at all?

Any advice would be very much appreciated :cute:

Helen

Dear Helen

If you get him rabies vaccinated and microchipped this week, then that is the perfect start. Around 4 weeks after that he needs a rabies blood sample and then he can fly 180 days after that. The rabies vaccination should be around £40, chip around £20 and blood test around £80.

In terms of total costs - you will be looking at around £1800 (very approximated) to include quarantine, flight etc.

Key thing is to the the rabies work started asap and then make plans for his flight.

If you want a formal quote then have a look at http://www.petairuk.com

Thanks

Bob

http://www.petairuk.com

Hi Bob,

Thanks for replying so quickly! And that's all really encouraging, thought the micro-chipping etc. would cost a lot more. Is there any special vet that we would have to take him to?

And I requested a quote from you guys earlier today, so I'll look forward to receiving that. Is there anything else we'd need to get him vaccinated against? And how long would he have to be held in quarantine at the Australia end?

Thanks again!

Helen

Hi Helen

Yes he has to go to an official government vet. Ask the vets that you need to see a vet who can "complete passports".

Just concentrate on getting the rabies vaccinations done and that is the urgent thing. other vaccines can be done after we have got the rabies work done.

He has to serve 10 days in quarantine as long as all the paperwork is right!

we will get that quote out to you and any questions let us know. Check your junk folder as our emails often go in there.

Thanks

Bob