Australia Quarantine fees

Happy Easter Weekend to you all.

We need some help. DAFF are considering increasing their fees for a 10 day stay to around $1800 AUD which is a fortune. We would love you to sign the petition we have started and share it with people who are going to or have gone to Australia with their pets.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/australia-quarantine-fees

Thanks for your help and I hope we can ask DAFF to reconsider this policy.

Is this for all pets? that is an incredible sum of money for what is effectively kennels/cattery with an examination etc thrown in. With the recent saving from 30 day stay reducing to 10 days it smacks of 'The lord giveth, then the lord tries to taketh away again!'

Guest guest41161

Signed. This could have a big impact on people considering moving. Imagine a couple of dogs? Maybe £4-5k to ship and then another $3k+ on top. That's just ridiculous.

So typical Australia though, declare all is great by reducing quarantine times, then recoup costs by other means. :arghh:

Edited by guest41161

I dont really know how it will affect people who have already booked. I am hoping that we can make them think again by pointing out that if they put the prices up fewer people will fly their pets and their deficit will grow rather than reduce.

If you can sign the petition and email costrecovery@daff.gov.au that will be amazing.

To be honest, i think this will happen regardless, but we can all try to change the outcome!

Signed. How much are the daily fees at the moment?

Cats have increased from $29 to $149. It now costs $620 MORE for a 10 day stay than it did for a 30 day stay.

Dogs have increased from $39 to $149. It now costs $320 MORE for a 10 day stay than it did for a 30 day stay.

To put it in context. My wife and I spent £3500 on a 19 day holiday in Oz (excluding the international flights). They want a similar amount for 3 animals in a kennel.

Edited by GetMeDownUnder

Wow - this is huge !!! I have signed the petition and hope DAFF

listen to it.

-------

I dont really know how it will affect people who have already booked. I am hoping that we can make them think again by pointing out that if they put the prices up fewer people will fly their pets and their deficit will grow rather than reduce.

If you can sign the petition and email costrecovery@daff.gov.au that will be amazing.

To be honest, i think this will happen regardless, but we can all try to change the outcome!

Hi and FYI and update really.

The hope was that people could book and pay for quarantine on their current prices - however we have tried this and DAFF are not issuing invoices until after the cost consultation has finished, so we cant do this.

Petition is up to 233 signatures, but the more we can get the better

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/australia-quarantine-fees

Thanks

This is going to force people to leave there pets behind!

i paid my fees a few days ago so I was lucky but I still moaned about that price!

now I have to get my dog from Eastern Creek (Sydney) to perth and the cheapest I have found is $1008.

I'll be signing Bob !

Justin, have you looked at doing it yourself, its really simple, no paperwork to fill in.

you just need to book a flight with Qantas or virgin, the dog will then travel as booked in luggage. We had to bring two labs over from Sydney and saved $900 doing it ourselves.

I would have to concur that hiking the prices to this extent will definitely bring a shortfall in the number of pets which are brought over. This will leave a shortfall in the cash being pumped into the quarantine centre.

I find it astounding that they are now charging $1800 for a week for 1 cat / dog to sit in a kennel where it is not even interacted with. It shows that there is something seriously wrong with how the program is being run if the financial break even figure is $1800 for 10 days in a cage.

For $1800 you could stay in a hotel, go on excursions and wine and dine.

Unfortunately, from my experience a consultation stage never results in a deviation from the new plan.

• 2 weeks later...

I responded to the consultation, slightly late, to the extent that this looks like a lame attempt to return the Quarantine to the former levels of income without the expenditure.

It struck me that it was worth considering moving animals to NZ first (I have family there so it is an option). Cats and Dogs can move without Quarantine from NZ to Australia, and the Quarantine in NZ looks *so much* better (because it is outsourced to private providers who compete for business). For a start, they will collect an animal from e.g. Auckland airport at any time, and you can collect at any time; the spaces that they offer are fully photographed on their websites and they explain what service animals would receive.

Animals transiting via NZ would have to spend 3 months in NZ (including the 10 days Quarantine) so it is not without difficulty, but I have seriously thought about it. My main worry is that if my mum gets my cat for 2.5 months she might never let her go. Would be interested in other peoples opinions. Megan

Reasonable option. It only takes 6 months to prepare a pet going to NZ rather than 7 months for Australia. Cost is going to be the main factor as the flight from UK to NZ is much more than for UK to Australia. So for cats it may be an option, but you need someone in NZ to have your pets.

There are some other differences, but this is an option worth asking for if DAFF do indeed put their prices up.

IT will happen. Yesterday DAFF sent out a global mail to anybody who sent feedback to them... I still don't see how they believe that the new Q&A below is valid. Costs go through the roof despite them having no exercise, no access to owners etc. They should be looking at why their costs are so high, not by looking at how to charge their customers to accomodate it.

+61 (0)2 6272 3933 costrecovery@daff.gov.au daff.gov.au

Frequently Asked Questions

Fee Review

Post Entry Animal Quarantine – Cats and Dogs

May 2014

Q1. Why is this fee change occurring and what is driving the increase?

There are three main reasons for the required increase in the fees (these are also articulated in the fact sheet and the draft CRIS document on-line at http://www.daff.gov.au/biosecurity/import/live-animals/fees-charges/cri-peaq-program-fees ):

1. Fees were last adjusted in 2009

Fees in this program were last adjusted in July 2009, some five years ago. Since then, the costs associated with managing quarantine have risen.

2. The program has been operating in deficit

The animal program is currently operating in deficit. In 2013-14, the cat and dog commodity line is forecast to cost $8.094m to operate. It is estimated that the cat and dog commodity line will be in deficit $4.7m in 2013-14, in effect, recovering less than half of its expenditure in this financial year. This program operates under full cost recovery. To operate contrary to this would be against government policy.

3. There has been a significant change in Post Entry Animal Quarantine (PEAQ) policy

In February 2014, the import policy for cats and dogs was revised, stating a minimum 10 day quarantine period instead of the historic minimum 30 day quarantine period.

This policy has had some impact on the PEAQ program expense base, specifically on costs which are variable (those which vary based on the number of nights a cat or dog is held in quarantine such as food). The majority of costs for managing cat and dog post entry quarantine are fixed (that is, they do not vary based on number of nights held in quarantine (i.e. entry and exit processes, property (including rent and property maintenance, operational policy development and administration).

Q2. When does the fee increase take effect?

The fee increase is expected to commence on 1 July 2014, for cats and dogs arriving on or after that date. We note that cat and dog importers will make arrangements to import their animal before this time and therefore all bookings made for animals arriving on or after 1 July 2014 will be invoiced once the fee review has been completed. Importers will be required to pay their invoice within 14 days or before the approval to send the animal occurs, whichever occurs first.

Q3. If my cat or dog commences PEAQ prior to 1 July 2014 which rate will I be charged

?

You will be charged the current rates up until 30 June 2014 and the proposed rate from 1 July 2014.

Q4. If I have already paid for my pet stay in the period after the 1st July 2014 will I need to pay more?

No, the department will not seek additional fees from those that had booked and paid for quarantine prior to the notification of the proposed fees.

Q5. What is the new fee?

If approved, the new fees will be $149 per cat or dog per day. The minimum PEAQ stay is for 10 days.

Q6. Why are cat fees being increased more than dog fees?

Through detailed analysis of our PEAQ process, we have determined that the costs for managing cats and dogs in PEAQ are the same. The proposed fee adjustments will address the current inequity in the costs for cats and dogs by increasing the rate of charge for cats so that it matches the new rate set for dogs from 1 July 2014.

Q7. Does the fee model meet the requirements of the cost recovery guidelines?

The department is meeting the requirements of the Cost Recovery Guidelines. The Australian Cost Recovery Guidelines are based on the premise that those who use Australian Government products or services should bear the costs of delivering those products or services.

Q8. How have the volumes been calculated?

The forecast volumes (activity levels) are set to reflect expectations of PEAQ services over the period. Forecast volumes are informed by historical trend analysis. These volumes are assessed against the program resourcing requirements to ensure that capacity at the quarantine facility is consistent with the requirement for services.

Q9. Why did the Byford quarantine facility close?

Byford quarantine facility, located in Perth, closed permanently at the end of 2013 due to an ongoing bushfire risk at the facility.

Q10. Why is there another fee review following this one so quickly?

The department is undertaking a more comprehensive review of all import cost recovery arrangements in the lead up to operations commencing at the new PEAQ facility in Mickleham, Victoria. This review will look at ways to streamline and adjust fees and charges to reflect the department’s business operating model for providing biosecurity services at the new facility.

Q11. Why is the Government building a new Quarantine Facility?

The three existing department operated PEAQ facilities are leased from private property owners or from other levels of government, and all the leases will all expire between the end of 2015 and the end of 2018, with no opportunity for extension. This presented the department with an opportunity to comprehensively plan for Australia’s long-term future PEAQ needs.

As a result, the department is currently undertaking a project to build a single new PEAQ facility on a Commonwealth owned site in Mickleham, Victoria. The future PEQ facility will consolidate all post entry quarantine operations currently spread across Australia into one site. For more information please go to http://www.daff.gov.au/biosecurity/quarantine/future-post-entry-quarantine-arrangements

Q12. Have you included costs from the new quarantine facility in these fees?

No, costs associated with the new quarantine facility have not been incorporated into this fee review.

Q13. Are permit fees also proposed to be increased? If so when and why?

Yes. Information about other proposed changes to fees for biosecurity services can be found on the Department of Agriculture website at: http://www.daff.gov.au/bsg/biosecurity-fee-review-2014

Q14. Why can I no longer visit my cat or dog whilst it is in PEAQ?

Under the current import conditions many animals undergo just 10 days in post entry quarantine. In this period departmental staff are focused on providing the care your animal needs, while managing the administrative and biosecurity requirements that prepare your animal for release. Due to the short quarantine period, visiting of animals in post entry quarantine is not permitted. If your animal is required to stay in quarantine for longer than expected, visitation may be discussed with the manager of that facility.

Q15. Will my animal be exercised during the PEAQ period?

The department’s staff will attend to your animal’s exercise needs during its time in quarantine. The kennel runs in the facilities are well set up, and provide most animals with adequate room to exercise within their run. Where veterinary advice recommends additional exercise is required, departmental staff will provide this.

Q16. Why is there a requirement to now pay a supervision of grooming fee and what is this fee?

Under the changed import conditions of minimum ten days quarantine for the majority of cats and dogs, it was determined that the resourcing (people) could be reduced (and fees reflect this). In order to maintain visitation and supervision of grooming, the Department would have needed to engage additional staff and the recovery of this further additional cost would have needed to be spread across all owners of animals in quarantine, necessitating an increase in charges to all owners of animals in quarantine, regardless of whether they were able to visit their animals.

Q17. Why not phase in fee increases?

A phasing of the fee increase would prevent the program returning to a financially stable position.

Q18. What extra services will you be providing to support the fee increase?

The services currently provided will not change.

Q19. Why has there been so little notice of the proposed fee change?

Consultation commenced in April and the fees are proposed to be implemented on 1 July 2014.

Q20. When will the department determine if a fee increase is to occur?

The department is expecting that any announcement on a price increase for the Post Entry Animal Quarantine program would be made mid-late May for effect (on services provided) from 1 July 2014, subject to required approvals.