No need for blood test after getting rabies vac done ??

Hi my dog got his rabies vac done 4 weeks ago, so now that his 30 days was up i phoned the vet to get his blood taken and she told me that it is no more compulsory for him to have to get his blood taken. I know when we went from Aus to UK he had to get rabies and then 4 weeks later his blood taken, but now they are saying that yes you need rabies but you dont have to have blood taken as well. Does anybody know anything about this :confused:

Hey Angie

Your vet is kind of right. you dont need a rabies blood sample to get a pet passport and go to EU, but you are going to Australia so you do need the rabies blood sample.

Yep i said all this to them, just of the phone with them now, and she said that he does not need blood test done for Australia, think we will just get them to take the blood anyway, ahhhhhhhhh screaming right now lol

thank you

Hey Angie

Your vet is kind of right. you dont need a rabies blood sample to get a pet passport and go to EU, but you are going to Australia so you do need the rabies blood sample.

Finally got Oscar's blood test results back after his Rabies Jabs, it has taken 6 weeks, our local vet sent them to a lab in Germany. All OK!!! I am a bit concerned now, as some tests have to be done 10 days before he travels, Not sure if our vet is up to the challenge.

:arghh:

The trouble is we leave the country in June to visit the inlaws in Spain before we head downunder, our 20 year old Daughter is going to look after him until he travels on 20th July I don't want her to have any worries. Can I just get one of the Pet shippers to come to her house and do the necessary checks and then collect him 10 days later and take him to the airport, or will she have do all this on her own???

I have found you cannot be firm enough with your vet about this. I love my vets to pieces but they were USELESS when it came to this and fought me tooth and nail, they refused to give me my rabies pass certificate copy!! Said it got sent automatically back to DEFRA. It took a MONTH for someone who knew what they were talking about to send it back to me! And they kept telling me I needed to get lots of vaccs done, not just my rabies, I kept telling them that I would get those done later as the blood test isn't required until 30 days before with the vaccinations, they weren't having it. Thank goodness for Petair, I had actually begun to doubt myself when those morons told me I was wrong but Joanna told me I was bang on the money and if necessary she would tell them so! Thankfully it didn't come to that and now they know to be quiet and listen for once. I really can't stress enough, I LOVE my vets but sheesh they don't like admitting when they're wrong. Remember you're paying them for a service, they are not always right!

sue and ian - we do offer this service where we take the whole process on either we come out and do the bloods if you live down south or we liaise with your vet if you live up north and we check all the docs and bloods to make sure they are right.

Hold tight bashing the vets! Unfortunately, vets cant know everything about everything and where most vets only do one export every 2 years they are not super knowledgeable about these things and that is where your pet shipper comes in who can help you.

Angie - glad you got it sorted, but you need a blood sample to go Australia and you actually dont need one to come back to UK!

We live in Spain and we insisted that the bloods be sent to the UK for testing. If you are in the UK, why were they sent to Germany? We were told that the European lab is in Belgium.

I agree don't knock the vets. Our vet is absolutely fantastic and I worry that we will struggle to find another one like him. Our vet is Spanish, although brilliant, he has not dealt with the finer points of getting a dog ready for travel to Australia. He said he was astounded at the amount of information he had to read and what he has to do to get the Hooligans ready. In the end, we called Bob and he liaised with our vet over the telephone so that our vet was doing things correctly and to Aus standards.

We had the rabies blood test done here in Spain and then couriered them back to the UK for testing. In the end I had to get involved and liaise with the laboratory in the UK, which was not difficult, but a pain.

Our plan is to transport the Hooligans back to the UK to have the final tests and paperwork done there. I am hoping it will be much more straightforward.

Finally got Oscar's blood test results back after his Rabies Jabs, it has taken 6 weeks, our local vet sent them to a lab in Germany. All OK!!! I am a bit concerned now, as some tests have to be done 10 days before he travels, Not sure if our vet is up to the challenge.

:arghh:

The trouble is we leave the country in June to visit the inlaws in Spain before we head downunder, our 20 year old Daughter is going to look after him until he travels on 20th July I don't want her to have any worries. Can I just get one of the Pet shippers to come to her house and do the necessary checks and then collect him 10 days later and take him to the airport, or will she have do all this on her own???

The Hooligans will also be leaving from Sevenoaks. We are using Bob. He offers a Gold service, whereby everything is done by them and they even collect the dog from your house and put them on the flight for you and complete the necessary paperwork for you.

Believe me, I really do adore my vets, they are amazing, but if you don't know about something then admit it, it's my dog's welfare at stake and she could be turned around at the border if I'd followed their advice. I'm not saying totally ignore them but just do your own research so that you're clued up on it, as Bob says it's not a common practise for them.

Yes all sorted but I will never ever use that vet again. B******s sorry but i was so upset for what he done to my baby. Took him down yesterday for his blood to be taken, which should only take a few minutes ended up being over a hour. he checked for his mircochip which i told him were it was on the dog he insisted that there was no way it could move down around his chest (its down is chest near his left leg) after him still moving the wee machine over the dogs neck and back my dog done a little growl next thing i know he stuck a needle in my dog and then left, with me wondering what the hell just happen 20mins later he arrived back, I ask him what had he done and he said he felt that the dog was going to bite him so he sedated him. I mouth near hit the floor. With my dog now flat out on the vets floor, he took blood from his leg which took him 10 mins to do. Then he walked out and said now you can go all done. I couldnt believe it. all day yesterday he couldnt even lift his head. I stayed up the whole night with him for i was worried. Thank goodness he up and being his old self. I still in shock about this. By the way my dog has never ever went for anyone ever. Sorry about the rant just had to get in of my chest :(

If your vet has not dealt with this process before, I would get them to speak to your pet shipper who know what they are doing.

Angie - Oh my Life!!! I am sorry now that you have explained what happened, I completely understand how you must have felt. I have never heard anything like it. Sedating a dog to take a blood test. There is no way that I would allow a vet to sedate one of my two without a real need. If a dog was not happy and the vet thought there might be a chance that the dog would go for him, then why not put a mussle on them. My terrier can be a feisty wotsit, but my vet has enough experience to know this and deals with the situation accordingly, i.e. giving her a kiss, a little treat and talking to her all the time. None of the vets at the practice we go to (there are 4) would ever do anything without telling us first.

This part of the process is traumatic enough for us owners as it is. I really hope your little one is much better today xx