Brachycephalic Breeds flying and new rules?

MrsLZB

Guest sun lovers

Hi Bob i spoke to you on the phone a few weeks a go i have the griffon, i am awaiting for the results of his rabbies blood tests at the moment. I have just noticed this thread paddy is like a pug is it dangerous to fly a dog like a griffon.

Helen

Hey Sun Lovers

Maybe worth having a chat about this. A big study was done in USA about number of dogs who had died on a flight. Overall it was around 1 in 10,000, but out of those half of them were British Bulldogs. The fact that British Bulldogs are snub nosed meant that the airlines then banned all snub nosed breed (Pekes, Boston Terriers, Pugs, French Bulldogs - but not Griffons). I think it is fair to say there is a slightly increased risk for a snub nosed dog, but for a fit and healthy Griffon that risk is still very small.

Question - is it "dangerous" to fly Snub nosed dogs - as long as they are fit and healthy and slim - NO is the short answer. However it is more difficult as so few airlines will fly them, but from a veterinary point of view the risk is still very small.

I hope that helps and anything else let me know

Hi again, Bob. Sorry to be a pain, but flying from Oz to UK, Boxers are definitely classed as snub nose. Our boy has to fly to Sydney then onto Dubai and then London, as they don't fly dogs, freight from Perth anymore. All this has happened within the last two weeks. I have been liaising with Jet Pets and Dogtainers. :rolleyes:

• 5 weeks later...
Guest westwoodc
Hey Sun Lovers

Maybe worth having a chat about this. A big study was done in USA about number of dogs who had died on a flight. Overall it was around 1 in 10,000, but out of those half of them were British Bulldogs. The fact that British Bulldogs are snub nosed meant that the airlines then banned all snub nosed breed (Pekes, Boston Terriers, Pugs, French Bulldogs - but not Griffons). I think it is fair to say there is a slightly increased risk for a snub nosed dog, but for a fit and healthy Griffon that risk is still very small.

Question - is it "dangerous" to fly Snub nosed dogs - as long as they are fit and healthy and slim - NO is the short answer. However it is more difficult as so few airlines will fly them, but from a veterinary point of view the risk is still very small.

I hope that helps and anything else let me know[/quote

Hi, we are hoping to move to Perth, currently waiting on the MOC (15 weeks +), but if they give us the go ahead we have a Staffy and a British Bulldog. The Bulldog is very fit, lovely and slim, do you see any issues in getting her there? Also how do I find out exactly what I need to do to get them there? thank you

Hi there, looking at leaving Oz in a few months and we are hoping to take our boxer dog with us. Bob, do you know of the new ruling on transport by air of snub nose breeds? Thanks

Hi,

We are flying out in August and taking our gorgeous Boxer dog with us! All going good and no problems - touch wood. Just hoping they reduce the quarantine from 30 to 10 days before we go.

Good luck

x

Hey Westwood c

​Firstly, Perth is unlikely to ever re-open, so your dogs would have to go to Sydney. Also the only airlines who would fly snub nosed dogs are Air Canada and they only fly to Sydney anyway.

​First this is to get the rabies vaccination done 6-12 months before their flight and then the rabies blood sample 5-12 months before the flight, so that is the first stage and often more urgent than you think.

Once you have done those then give us a shout for a quote and plan and we (or any other UK pet shipper) can help you lots.

Hope that helps and if there is anything else then it may be worth giving us a call.

Thanks

​Bob

Guest westwoodc
Hey Westwood c

​Firstly, Perth is unlikely to ever re-open, so your dogs would have to go to Sydney. Also the only airlines who would fly snub nosed dogs are Air Canada and they only fly to Sydney anyway.

​First this is to get the rabies vaccination done 6-12 months before their flight and then the rabies blood sample 5-12 months before the flight, so that is the first stage and often more urgent than you think.

Once you have done those then give us a shout for a quote and plan and we (or any other UK pet shipper) can help you lots.

Hope that helps and if there is anything else then it may be worth giving us a call.

Thanks

​Bob

thank you, I will sort their vaccine. What happened to Perth? Thanks

Guest westwoodc
Hey Westwood c

Thanks

​Bob

What happened to Perth quarantine please?

They have closed perth quarantine for the time being due to risk of bush fires, but as mentioned they think its unlikely that it will re-open. There has been talk also of them closing melbourne station too leaving only sydney. If this happens sydney is going to be one busy place and therefore long waits to even get pooches in there.... fingers crossed for reducing time frlm 30 tp 10 days. This would help reduce waiting times.

good luck!

Hey Westwood c

Thanks

​Bob

We are flying our boxer out of Oz with Qantas/Emirates (freight) Perth-Sydney-Dubai-London. Or is it different coming in to Oz?

Guest westwoodc
Hey Westwood c

Thanks

​Bob

Hi bob

ive spoken to the bet about the injections, they are telling me I also need a dog passport, is this right? They don't seem too sure, thanks Claire

Dear Claire

Pets going to Australia need all the bits of a pet passport (chip, rabies vaccination and rabies blood sample) but dont need the pet passport document itself, though it is good to get one as it keeps everything neat and in one place. Also, instead of the vet just stamping that the pet has had the rabies blood sample you need to get the actual certificate from them.

Anything else let me know

Bob

http://www.petairuk.com

Guest westwoodc
Dear Claire

Pets going to Australia need all the bits of a pet passport (chip, rabies vaccination and rabies blood sample) but dont need the pet passport document itself, though it is good to get one as it keeps everything neat and in one place. Also, instead of the vet just stamping that the pet has had the rabies blood sample you need to get the actual certificate from them.

Anything else let me know

Bob

www.petairuk.com

Hi Bob

what number can I talk to you on please? Thanks Claire

• 4 weeks later...
Guest sun lovers

Hi Bob Have pet air managed to be able to get direct flights to Perth yet, i called last week after finding out perth kennels are opening again, then found out i was unable to get my pooch on a flight to Perth because he is classed as a snub nose breed, he is a griffon.

I don't know what to do, he has had the rabbies jab and bloods all clear. i can't understand if they fly to Sydney why can't they fly them to Perth.

Thanks for any advice

Hi

different airlines have different rules, that is the problem. even though Perth is open, we still need an airline to get them there at the right time for Perth to collect them and with a layover which is not so long as to make the journey cruel for the pets. There are many different factors to take into account.

The only airline who can fly pets to Perth right at this second are Singapore Airlines - as the others either get in too late or too early for the pets to be collected by the quarantine station guys or they have a stopover where we cant guarantee they will be looked after like they should be. Singapore airlines will not fly a griffon, so it may well be that your dog has to fly to Sydney, do quarantine there and then internal flight to Perth.

We are working with Singapore airlines to ask them to fly a greater variety of breeds of dogs and we are making progress, but us asking Singapore airlines to change their rules is really David and Goliath type of thing.

When you you want to go?

we will help you in any way we can, but a combination of Perth opening, then closing and then deciding they actually would re-open and Qantas merging with emirates has really mucked up the journeys to Perth and it is hugely sad because it is the pets who suffer at the end of the day

Guest sun lovers

We fly out the 29th aug, I have had a quote but it's the trip I'm worried about, he is 9 and a very nervous dog, the thought of flying him to Sydney puts me off. What r the chances of Singapore changing there rules is it slim?

• 1 month later...

Hey Lisa Rich

We cant fly a boxer to Perth as the only airline who do fly (Singapore Airlines) wont take Boxers. Your dog would have to fly to Sydney and then do an internal flight to Perth - cost will be around £2500-£300 plus quarantine fees of $1305 AUD.

If you would like a formal quote then go to http://www.petairuk.com and we can help you.

Please bear in mind that you need to start the rabies work 6-12 months before the flight date, so early planning is the key!

Bob